Joeputz

551 transmission help

Joeputz

Hey guys been awhile since I posted but Im having some transmission problems. I completely rebuilt my transmission for my 551 but when its all assembled I can not move the shifter into any gear. When I have the case half off I can shift it into all gears but as soon as the case half is placed on its stuck.. been fighting with this for awhile was wondering if anyone might know what I'm doing wrong. I can kinda shift the gears with the case together with a screw driver but I have to force it and then its stuck in that gear. Hope some one can help. Thank you, 

Joe

45CD6517-3E76-44CC-86A4-2ADA704B5B38.jpeg

12211CBC-9DD2-429A-93BA-46E207F0DB66.jpeg

4462D0D0-97A1-485D-BBAF-CDA41E6CE62D.jpeg

WHX??

I've never had this problem ...yet. Steve @stevasaurus care to help this gent out?

953 nut
1 hour ago, Joeputz said:

I can not move the shifter into any gear.

Looks a bit dry!  Each part should have a few drops of oil on it as it goes back together.

stevasaurus

Your problem is that the pinion gear (that is on top of the fork gears) is under the "C" clamp.  That pinion should be at an even height with the reduction gear (the large gear on the cluster gear shaft) and on top of the "C" clamp.  :occasion-xmas:  The "C" clamp fits in the groove in the splined shaft.  Below, you can see the "C" clip on the splined shaft...that pinion sits on top of the clip,,,not under it.

2008_0122TRANSNEW0013.JPG

702 transmission 032.jpg

• Like 3

Joeputz

Ok that makes more sense with the gear, Ill give that a try when I get back home. Thank you so much for all of the quick responses this site is really great!

• Thanks 2