Rob.A.700

C111 briggs

Rob.A.700

I have a c111 with the 11hp Briggs. It's got a newer fuel pump and carb. I want to cover all bases because recently I ran the tractor out of fuel and since then it hasn't seemed to run right. I run an inline filter but I know it doesn't stop everything. Tonight it ran the worst. It lacked power, backfired, stalled. I have always felt like the governor has never properly worked. I tried adjusting that. I pulled the carb and I am going to clean it at work tomorrow. Is there anything else I should check? May get a new spark plug as well. Any input is greatly appreciated.

troutbum70

The backfiring part of it sort of seems like points or timing, but also maybe fuel related.

ebinmaine

What was the behavior prior to running out of fuel?

We run most of our small engines out of fuel ON PURPOSE on a regular basis.

I'm thinking a carb clean is the place to start.

If you don't know when was the last time the fuel line was replaced do it also.

If you use ethanol, definitely replace the fuel line AND clean out the tank AND fuel pump.

Once the fuel system is cleaned out, address other causes.

Rob.A.700

@ebinmaine fuel line and filter are at most 2 years old. Tank was clean. Prior to running out of gas it ran fine with little issue. It just never seemed to have the power it needed. After running out it seemed starved for fuel, running lean the motor was getting hotter than usual. I also run 91 non ethanol in all my carborated equipment.

Edited by Rob.A.700
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

Good to hear you don't use ethanol. The bane of our existence in the small engine world and most people don't even realize it.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Running hot and lacking power would indicate too lean a mixture.  the original carb on your engine had a high speed mixture needle   (#118) if the new one does have you tried enriching  it.

Annotation 2019-07-22 113745.jpg

Daddy Don

Check the points and the setting.

Rob.A.700

Anyone familiar with these engines or have on with a properly set up throttle/governor linkage that can post pictures? It's not easy sorting through 40 years of other peoples "handiwork"