JCM

Why the Wheelhorse addiction?

Yossarian

Because green paint is overrated!!  Seriously though, I never had any inclination to start looking for older Horses until I showed up here trying to fix my beater.  My folks got an older used model in the 90's and I have fond memories of it, but I don't even know what model it was. Now I find myself hunting CL, not just locally, but anywhere I have friends or family.  Thanks guys.  I'm not really in a spot to buy toys but the hunt is fun and I might come across a killer deal on a good mower. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

oldiron613

For me, it's definitely an addiction and the fun of the hunt and the adrenaline rush in the anticipation process. As a collector it's fun and rewarding to put together a set of something as well. 

• Excellent 1

C-85

At my family's business I used to sell W/H tractors and for the most part it was easy to sell these.  That's because of all the features, advantages and benefits (FAB) they had.

Some of my competitors were Sears, and JD.  Many would ask why my tractors cost so much more than Sears, and the first thing I would share was "just look at the weight difference".  After that I'd show them why they weighed so much more and how that would help make it last longer and serve them much better.  For the folks that were looking at JD, some just needed 'green' paint, but if they were really comparing I often would be able to put them into the red tractors.

This is part of why I loved Wheel Horse :)

C-85

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Herder

You ask why and I ask why not?:text-lol:

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

I actually bought one ..a 416 new.  Then inherited a 520. Both onans still run.but are noisy

Then I found a Raider10 and I liked it so much better. Then a electro 12 and more when the price was right.

When I found out how the parts will Inteerchange I was hooked.

Also much more fun with you guys around ☺️

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

DevonianHorse

I got my Wheelhorse in 2004 when I was 14 (I am 28 now), my Grandfather had a Lawnflite and ever since I really wanted a lawn tractor. I saved up doing chores and mowing lawns etc, and finally we went to a garden machinery place in our local town to see if there was any I could afford. Outside were a lot of customer machines, and I was instantly drawn to a Wheelhorse, as a fan of classic cars and machinery it just stuck out to me. The owner came out and started talking to me and my parents and said he had one just like it, but black indoors. We had a look and I still remember seeing it for the first time, love at first sight I suppose :lol: I think my Dad said "wow, that's like the Dodge Charger of lawnmowers!" haha. I paid £300 (I live in England) for it, it was the first vehicle of any sort I bought myself. Had it ever since :) Here is a picture of it the day I got it, and now:

IMG_2235 DSC_8871

Aside from the fact these machines are so tough, easy to work on, and just really cool, it is a machine I grew up with as did my friends, and I could never get rid of it I hope one day I can pass it down to my children. I only have the one Horse, I don't have space for any more at the moment but really enjoy reading about other people's machines and also of course, Wheelhorse fans seem to be the nicest people around :wh:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

The Tuul Crib

Thats a great story and thanx for sharing 

with us ! Great looking machine 

and long live The Red Ones!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ike

After I pulled in the driveway last weekend with my 5th machine (a very nice 418a with 126 hrs) my wife said “I think you have a problem”.  I said you think?

I told her it is the thrill of the hunt!  There are an amazing number of Wheelhorses out in the wild but only a few I want to drag home!

• Like 3

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Ike said:

a very nice 418a with 126 hrs

Okay now you know we're going to need pictures of that.

:D

@JCM Jim would want to see that too.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: WOW!

You definitely stepped in it that day!

Nice :wh: score!   :thumbs:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Haha 2

rjg854

Most excellent  :text-bravo:

JCM

How would you like to trade that machine for a 1986 Chevy K-20 Silverado original owner with all paperwork restored only seen 3 New England winters, that's how nice that rig is.        GOOD LUCK with that and keep it clean.      Congrats

• Like 1

Darb1964

Very nice I have a 418-8 that tractor is incredible I love mine.

• Like 1

JCM

I still can't believe what I am seeing, that belongs in your living room.

• Haha 1

Ike

Also included were the original operator manual, brochure, parts and service manual and the cut sheets for the blower, cab, and deck.  All in pristine condition!

D3398E37-7032-49FE-B0D6-C2E7F172AA3D.jpeg

8F7792C9-F2D4-46CB-8A12-4990284FFBE2.jpeg

Edited by Ike
Don’t like top picture.
  • Like 3

JCM

I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight after viewing those 418 pics and I may  need a night cap beverage to help me fall asleep. That is an awesome 1 year only 1987, again great find and take good care of it so someone else may also enjoy it someday.

• Like 1