JCM

Why the Wheelhorse addiction?

JCM

After reading the topic filled up my new shed already by @cafoose I wanted to hear from anyone that has the time to respond why most of us feel the need to own so many WH  tractors ,myself included and then somewhat struggle to find the space to keep them out of the weather,myself included ?

• Excellent 1

953 nut
8 minutes ago, JCM said:

why most of us feel the need to own so many WH  tractors

Because they are so GOOD!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

I’m one of the few “ one and done” folks on RS...my C 105 does everything I need...but I have come close...so close...so...um...maybe...

To paraphrase Red Green: I’m a single :wh: owner, I can change, if I have to, I guess...

:eusa-think:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

rayshorses

For me , it is a way of reliving my childhood. I was 13 years old when my dad bought me a new 1973 10 hp 8 speed , the picture of it is on my avitar. I started my landscape business with that machine. I had 12 different attachments for that machine.In 1978 i needed a down payment to buy my first backhoe and the only way was to sell the wheelhorse. I sold it to someone in Massachusetts and cried for two weeks after that. I promised myself that when i could afford it , i would have one again , but as the years passed my Wheelhorse just became fond memories.

Fast forward to 2012 and i found the brochures from that era on ebay ,so i bought them. I remembered all of those pictures from so long ago and how cool would it be to have some of those different models especially the D series . Then i joined the Red Square site and realized that these machines stopped being made a long time ago.

For me , that is what causes the addiction . You cant go to a dealer and buy one , you have to find someone who is willing to sell you one.

So the search began . First was the C-160 with mower. then came a couple of D series one of which my son restored to like new for his high school senior project. Then a real nice GT-14 ,a B-81 and an RJ_58 with lots of attachments for all of them.And finally as of last week a 1973 10 hp -8 speed with a 36" deck and dozer blade that i traveled 22 hours to get,,,,,,it is my new favorite , it looks and runs perfect. 

At this point i think i have all of the ones i ever wanted , but who knows. I mow with them and drive them around , they are well maintained and pampered. They live in a heated shop.I have loaders and excavators to move snow and soil with but sometimes it is fun to play with the wheelhorses knowing i dont have to wear them out so i can have them as long as i will be around.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

cafoose
1 hour ago, JCM said:

After reading the topic filled up my new shed already by @cafoose I wanted to hear from anyone that has the time to respond why most of us feel the need to own so many WH  tractors ,myself included and then somewhat struggle to find the space to keep them out of the weather,myself included ?

I just turned 60 a few months ago and I'm thinking of retiring in 5 years or so. I'm considering getting a few acres in Perry County, PA and spending time playing with my horses. As you can see I have plenty of projects to keep me out of trouble :lol: and I enjoy working on them :banana-wrench: because of the simplicity, parts and attachment interchange, ruggedness, and most of all they're lots of fun:banana-dance::banana-jumprope::banana-blonde:

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

mhlmeader

Chicks dig em!!!!!

tenor.gif

Edited by mhlmeader
  • Haha 6

ericj
38 minutes ago, mhlmeader said:

Chicks dig em!!!!!

tenor.gif

then why do our wives give us so much grief :hide:

eric j 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lee1977
2 hours ago, emdmat1981 said:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about ...

20190609_195904 (1).jpg

Go out and buy another half a dozen older ones then maybe you can see what they are talking about, ever thing you have is too new.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Confused 1
  • Heart 1

ZXT

..Because why not?

People ask me why I need so many cars or tractors... I politely tell them that I've never felt that I needed a reason, and that each of my toys cost less than a single payment on one of their new "equivalents"! 

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 2

JCM

WOW, some really great responses and to early to make any comments and thanks. I will put a plug in for the Meet & Greet to @rayshorses, it seems you are only about 1 and a quarter hour from N.Berwick,Maine, are you free Sept 7 to possibly attend ? Stay tuned.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, mhlmeader said:

Chicks dig em!!!!!

tenor.gif

7 hours ago, ericj said:

then why do our wives give us so much grief :hide:

eric j 

I'mma lucky lucky man....

My chick has her own fleet...

:party:

• Like 5
  • Heart 2

rjg854

:text-yeahthat: Craig, have to agree whole-heartily

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

Retired Wrencher
10 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Great thread idea Jim!

For Trina and I it's definitely a multifaceted answer.

We got into the brand about 2-1/2 years ago when we needed something that weighed more to pull a yard tractor around.

Wheelhorse was recommended to me by one of the guys at my favorite local small engine repair place.

Well I found one on CL for sale from @Stepney  that later turned into Patriot horse.

Then I found Redsquare and the rest we blame on all of you!!

:ROTF:

The friendly demeanor of the folks here is second to none.

I communicate with people from all over who not only have a love of the brand... But also the same display of the common friendly personal nature.

The moderators do a great job of keeping the attitude positive and predominantly free of negativity.

The tractors themselves are extremely easy to repair and maintain.

Rugged. Versatile. Prone to very few problems. 

Old school heavy duty American made.

Just a great all around experience.

Well said Eric. I think you nailed it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

midpack

I was looking for something to run a snowthrower. I had been using a Craftsman, but that machine was doing double duty with a leaf collecting/mulching wagon. (7 to 10 pickup loads full of fall cleanup)

Once you start messing with Horses, you find the disposable generation selling machines cheep!

I was looking at a C-160 recently,  I had to tell myself repeatedly... don't need another.... no room for it... 

The real reason I didn't get it is I just didn't have time to go get it!!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

Herder

There like potato chips, you cant have just one.  Or at least my addictive personality doesn't allow for that.  It's a great hobby and sometimes even a chore, but all the same enjoyable.   

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

AHS

It started in my childhood, my dad had a ‘79 C101 (still has it!) and it was tougher than nails!! And quite easy to work on. 

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, AHS said:

It started in my childhood, my dad had a ‘79 C101 (still has it!) and it was tougher than nails!! And quite easy to work on. 

Welcome to Redsquare from a fellow Mainuh !!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

Well said Eric. I think you nailed it.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, midpack said:

....looking at a C-160 recently,  I had to tell myself repeatedly... don't need another.... no room for it... 

The real reason I didn't get it is I just didn't have time to go get it!!!

It's good that you can admit that.

:lol:

• Haha 1