Sign in to follow this  
formariz

Are "bug eyes" original?

formariz

Can anyone enlighten me on it?

Owning quite a few HL-5 type lights, many of them NOS in the box, I have never come across that light with the " bug eye" lens. I have however come across many "bug eye" type lenses which fit the hl-5 housings. It is actually relatively easy to find such lenses, but not easy to find the more common domed lens with the square pattern.

So there is the question. Did HL-5 kits come from factory originally with " bug eye" lenses, or are they replacement lenses?

acsousa82

Cas,

Did I read your posting correctly: "A few HL - 5 lights"???? I'm sure you are looking to part with some :omg: ????? I might be able to help you with that. Any interest?

Alex

CasualObserver

Alex, you can see what he's talking about in this post from a few days ago.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6503

TT

So there is the question. Did HL-5 kits come from factory originally with " bug eye" lenses, or are they replacement lenses?

My copy of the PL&I shows the "flat" lenses with the squares:

hl-5ipl.jpg

There are also some pink-tinted "flat" lenses floating around for the PM401's.

BPjunk

Cas,

Yes the "Bug Eye" type lens were sold in the HL-5 head light kits, I have always believed the Bug Eye type came out first but due to cost and how easly they got broken the flat lens took there place.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

linen beige

There are also some pink-tinted "flat" lenses floating around for the PM401's.

I really hate to mention this. About ten years or so ago, before I knew about the HL-5, the crew in our PD radio shop tossed about a pickup load of these lights. Most had red lenses, some had amber. There were a few blue ones and some clear lenses. We also tossed a few dozen spare lenses. Some of this stuff had been removed from old cruisers and motorcycles, but the majority of it was new in the boxes. None of them were bugeyes though.

HorseFixer

Hmmm Interesting! :omg: Makes me feel pretty good to have two sets of the domed ones with lenses in perfect shape! :drool:

formariz

If there is a choice which type would everyone would like to have?Bug eyes or the standard domed lens?