Sign in to follow this  
Jordanhorse96

To mess rj 58 belt

Jordanhorse96

Okay so my mess tonight is on the rj58 that I'm trying to get ready for the shows it called for the belt size was a 29 in I bought the 29 inch it did not fit it was too big someone back to the store and I bought a 28  work but it was too tight what do I have going on here the pulley on the motor is the correct size that what it would have had which is a two and a half need help I've gone to the belt store four times today ug

20190613_205923.jpg

20190613_205938.jpg

Pullstart

I don’t have an RJ 58 yet, so I’ll guess a bit.  Possibly the 29” works when the belt is tensioned by the clutch mechanism?  With the length of that clutch pulley arm, an inch should be fairly easy to soak up.

71_Bronco

I quick google search brought me this thread from a few years ago:

Did you have the belt tensioner correctly placed when you had the belt in place?

870express

The engine mounting bolts on my RJ58 can be loosened to allow the engine to slide forward or backward.  Each mounting bolt goes through a 2-inch slot cut in the frame so the engine can move forward or backward to adjust the belt tension.  I don't know if that is standard, but it sure comes in handy for adjusting the belt.  I found a 29-1/2 inch belt and had to move the engine all the way forward to take up the slack.

wallfish

A 29 inch x 1/2 inch wide belt is the correct size belt when all of the pulleys are original. That engine pulley on yours is not original and accepts a 5/8 wide or a 1/2 wide belt. Although the outside diameter may be correct, the 1/2 wide belt sits deeper in the V groove than the original pulley would have allowed and therefore your 29 belt seems too long. You can see the paint in the pulley groove on how deep the belt is riding. On an original pulley the belt will ride on the outer edge at 2 1/2 inches.

Slotting the engine mounting holes on these RJs can be done if you don't plan on using a belt guard. They are tough enough to get the belt setting right with all original parts as it is, so moving the engine can create more of an issue when getting the belt to slip on the engine pulley for changing gears. If you do slot the holes make the engine go back towards the trans and use a 28 inch belt. That would fit inside the belt guard but you will need to use little "fingers" to help make the belt slip when the peddle is pushed. Using smaller bolts like 1/2 or 1/4 inch to mount the engine will give you some play without slotting the holes.

You can try contacting @buckrancher Brian as he used to make repop original pulleys but not sure if he still does. If he does, get one as they are perfect replicas made for a 1/2 inch wide belt and the set screw inside the groove. That pic above in the link bronco posted is Brian's stainless tractor and one of his pulleys. You can see the belt rides all the way at the outer edge.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2

870express
6 hours ago, wallfish said:

Slotting the engine mounting holes on these RJs can be done if you don't plan on using a belt guard. 

That's correct.  I guess that's why this old RJ is missing the belt guard.

belt tension.jpg

belt tension 2.jpg

Edited by 870express

wallfish
1 hour ago, 870express said:

That's correct.  I guess that's why this old RJ is missing the belt guard.

That happens quite a bit because it can be a real pain the ----- to get the belt to release from the engine pulley to slip enough for changing gears. You can do it without a belt guard by making little bars to support the belt around the engine pulley. That bar pictured on your engine is factory for doing the same exact thing for the pulley which drives a mower deck. The mower deck pulley sits on the engine shaft outside of the belt guard so that bar is used to guide the belt. An RJ mower deck has a peddle on the deck to release the belt so it slips around the engine pulley driving it.

• Like 1