JCM

Plans for the long weekend

wallfish
10 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

What are you using to drill the holes?  That is one of the worst parts about building fence unless you have a nice mounted power auger to do the grunt work..

While searching for a used hand operated post hole digger, I came across this cool little machine on CL and couldn't resist. Bought it, fixed it and only needed to do 6 holes. Then sold it as there's always just too many projects. It was fun to use.

post-658-0-74269200-1429927174.jpg.bdddfa27fe600b665ce155c47ec54c36.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

clueless

What long weekend :scratchead:. I'm retired, every weekend is a long weekend. Guess I'll hang something on the Pit Barrel Smoker, maybe a pork butt. I like big butts :thumbs:. Enjoy you weekend and Never Forget.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

PeacemakerJack

So, after working on it off and on for about a month, we have Claudia’s first “investment tractor” ready to sell.  It is a 1998 Cub 2523.  It has a 54” deck, shaft driven Cast Iron axle, and a CH23 Command.  

C070E4C2-FCBB-44D0-B247-49E0F91C837E.jpeg.99a1c3099fc2946e3bc07eee5579afed.jpeg

It looked pretty grody when we got it but for a cheap buy in price, I was convinced that we could make the 500 hour machine look almost new again without a lot of work.  Although these aren’t as well built as the Classic series :wh:‘s or the earlier Cubs, this definitely isn’t a “throw away” tractor either.  I’m hoping she can more than double her investment.  It gave us some fun bonding time together and she was able to learn some more mechanical stuff.

A573262F-76EE-487A-8766-032B0281B94A.jpeg.b02c9a2a94af45e292eed17e64e5a186.jpeg

I brought this Cub back from Indiana a couple months back.  I bought it for one reason—this Awesome Cat 0 hitch including Brinly A-frame adapter.  This is going to eventually go on my 582 Plow Cub.  Anyway, Caleb and Judge helped me remove the three point and then clean out 25 years of crud.

6CAFE86F-107E-413B-8216-E2F623C7B72F.jpeg.0ca99978790b59e80d1b2d2b8695c547.jpeg

I thought that we would have it running by the end of the day, but it won’t fire.  Caleb removed the carb, we cleaned the float bowl and the primary passages.  Spark plugs are new and in good shape, I have compression at both cylinders...so we now have to start the troubleshooting process.  

62DDEEB0-7D78-4585-BBBB-1BCAE50B3A4C.jpeg.1d21792bbc9c7a2ef77f869c253cc0b9.jpeg

I want to get this one up for sale soon once I can verify it is a good runner.  I need to get some of these Cubs gone so that I have room in my shop to work on JackRabbit! We want to get him painted this summer🤞🏻

Tomorrow—organizing the shed after church! 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I bought it for one reason—this Awesome Cat 0 hitch including Brinly A-frame adapter.  This is going to eventually go on my 582 Plow Cub

Of course you know I'm gonna need pics of a 582!!!!!

Hope this beast gets up and running without much trouble.

Keep us posted.

• Thanks 1

Achto

Most of today will be spent relaxing and tending to my fire.

IMG_20190526_074102621-min.jpg.e5bf84070440daae193f0c95a9f5e06a.jpg

I injected a 10lb pork butt last night, at 5am it went in the smoker. Now I can relax & wait for supper time. :thumbs2::beer:

• Like 3
  • Heart 4

ZXT

Will likely spend a lot of tomorrow helping my dad build the deck on the back of the house at our river property. Also adding on to the house and It's to the point that I need to start pulling Romex.. If I get a free minute I might throw a line in the water and see if I can't catch something to eat. 

For today, I plan on giving my C120 on its maiden mowing voyage with the new engine and working on some things that need to be tended to around the house.

• Like 4

adsm08

Got my engine/trans out yesterday, got the engine hung up today, now I'm depressed and don't feel like working on anything because I went and looked at parts prices, so I'm going to go to the store, come home and mow, then probably try to clean the house a bit.

• Sad 1

clueless
4 hours ago, Achto said:

Most of today will be spent relaxing and tending to my fire.

IMG_20190526_074102621-min.jpg.e5bf84070440daae193f0c95a9f5e06a.jpg

I injected a 10lb pork butt last night, at 5am it went in the smoker. Now I can relax & wait for supper time. :thumbs2::beer:

How low do you smoke it at?

Achto
18 minutes ago, clueless said:

How low do you smoke it at?

225. When the meat reaches 165 I take it out & wrap it tight in foil. Then I return it to the smoker until the meat reaches 195 to 200. Then pull it out, wrap it in blankets & put it an empty cooler to rest for a couple of hours. The meat will actually gain a few degrees temp while resting in the cooler. From there it's shred it up for serving.

• Like 5

953 nut
17 hours ago, Achto said:

From there it's shred it up for serving.

Image result for yum

• Like 2

Sparky
On 5/24/2019 at 5:48 AM, Sparky said:

I front loaded my hours at work so today (Friday) I just need 3 or 4 hours to hit my 40 and I'll be outa here kicking off the long weekend early. Saturday I'll be driving south-west on a WH recovery mission :ph34r: (more on that later if it works out). Not crossing state lines so you New Yorkers can relax :lol: .

On Sunday I'll be taking a motorcycle ride up into the Berkshire area of Massachusetts with my father. Gotta love being able to still do stuff with dad. He's 77 and still loves to ride on 2 wheels! 

My little bass boat needs about an hour of my time to get it ready for the season, wife picked us up our fishing licenses yesterday so hopefully Monday I'll be floating in a lake somewhere waiting on a bite.  

So it pretty much went as planned. Grabbed a tractor on Saturday from Russ in Norwalk Ct and went on a good long motorcycle ride with my dad on Sunday. Monday’s fishing plans got screwed up when the wife and I slept in late...so we loaded up the bicycles and rode one of the local rails to trails. 

And to finish it off my son and his fiancé are coming over this afternoon for burgers/dogs/beer :handgestures-thumbupright:

D3267377-7652-477A-8D0A-32E26523FDDB.jpeg

D511F11C-E94D-47D4-8FA0-397C082A45B4.jpeg

DBF4CC2E-A589-472E-96BC-3A6CCD0080E1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

squonk
On 5/23/2019 at 8:44 PM, AMC RULES said:

Get this bad boy up and running. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

20190523_200419.jpg

All you need is a good hill!  :ychain::ychain::ychain:

• Haha 3

AMC RULES

Sure, it's got the optional brake kit for them hills.

• Like 1

prondzy

As Memorial day winds down, I figured I would post my fence project. Friday @Shynon and I drilled 20= 10" holes and cemented posts in. The day started around 9am and finished up by 7pm.  Day 2 Saturday started around 8am by hanging 16 fence panels and putting up gates finished the day around 8pm. Day 3 Sunday started around 9am ripping down a couple pickets for finishing touches, mounting gate hardware and then the big move in. Still plan to cover the ground with crushed rock but that will be for another day. The total area inside the fence is about 24x 26. Maybe @Shynon will post with his fence and the other half of our weekend project.20190527_180835.jpg.c829bd6827b72a97c0f772c26a7040bb.jpg20190527_180901.jpg.6202d2b4b86390fb1934a402c0bb897a.jpg20190527_180922.jpg.d4d54dc2ca5788dea932a715e0b35444.jpg20190527_180819.jpg.ac1c8bb260455185f477b0ba8615c3ac.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

PeacemakerJack

Knowing that the Omro car show was coming up, I decided to do something on Sunday afternoon that had been on my “to-do” list for over a decade...

B548A196-4746-4418-8562-D74CD3114CC4.jpeg.f90d613255d36f3c0764f817ca84c043.jpeg

my Goat has 295/50/15 tires on it—much larger than stock.  The car came with a pair of Gabriel air shocks that probably date from the mid 90’s.  They have had leak down problems for the entire time.  When I restored the car in 2000, I ran out of money to do the rear end and it has been functional for these 19 years and so I have just kept using it.  Dad purchased a 1967 GTO in 2004 that needed a COMPLETE restoration and we began that immediately.  We finished that in early 2006 and dad had rear tire clearance issues.  He told me that he was going to install a set of air bags and I told him that I would buy a set also.  We installed his a couple of weeks after they arrived and I was planning to do mine soon thereafter...

RIGHT.

Caleb was TWO YEARS old at that time.  Yesterday, I decided that we would get at it.  I helped dad install his and now Caleb would help me install mine! It took us about an hour and a half but it sure is nice to not have the car sagging down after only about 6-7 hours...

AF9D2351-4ACD-4215-BB99-47C7DB6C773F.jpeg.90e17f13f1038f78f918e5c6f549ae38.jpeg

It is our annual tradition to do a full detailing off the car on Sunday evening before The Memorial Day car show.  The first four years I entered it, I didn’t even have children.  Now I have a whole pit crew to help me prepare it...

BC5193FB-02FF-46FB-91E4-860844C5C0A8.jpeg.d9de3a0e93bd757f21f444d2ee0600ef.jpeg

Caleb does a great job waxing and the littles detailed the rims and chrome trim.  Claudia normally does the interior but she was sick this weekend...

4E25C25F-F5A2-4836-BAEF-51F6F7DAE863.jpeg.8f8a00e3a72f8a8149371633993a6a38.jpeg

We got up early and met my parents at McD’s for breakfast. It is still surreal for me to go cruising with my parents in their Goat and my children in my Goat. It is even more surreal to think that next year Caleb can drive me to this show...It makes me feel old!

The weather wasn’t great today but there were about 75-100 cars anyway and the littles were cute enough that several car owners asked them if they wanted to sit inside.

82E23134-7892-41FD-9746-7773D65CDDC8.jpeg.43441dac6526c66bd87ec3d42d8aa798.jpeg

Judge wore his trademark hat and was loving this two owner modified “time capsule” 1974 Camaro. He was really impressed with the chain steering wheel.

6EB9D586-3E29-4ACB-B524-BD8596CE2031.jpeg.b9a23dba5706573970a94db47c15d872.jpeg

Zach thought this ‘68 Camaro was pretty sweet.  I just enjoyed driving my car, hanging out with my family and talking with friends.  One of my Local Circle buddies Dan showed up mid morning and we had a great time talking and I got the privilege to officially meet Mrs. Achto—what a nice lady!  It is always fun to swap stories with my buddies.

The rain hit about 12:30pm and people scattered faster than rats from a sinking ship, us included!  This afternoon, we did some more organizing around the house and have started to prepare to get ready for the work week.  I hope you all have enjoyed your weekend.

I am so thankful for all those men and women that have paid the ultimate sacrifice so that we can enjoy the financial, spiritual, and  unbiased freedom to enjoy the very things that we have done this weekend.  If my travels abroad have taught me anything, I am thankful for all the sacrifices that have been made in this young countries history to preserve the way of life that we enjoy today.  

God bless the USA and especially the families of those who have shed their blood to protect our freedoms!

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

adsm08

Well my plans for today got blown out of the water. I was hoping to just hang out with the kids this afternoon once they got home.

I got the house cleaned, and about an hour before the wife got home with the kids my dad's one friend calls me, he just left the air port, his low oil pressure light is coming on at idle, and he is leaving a trail of oil and smoke (keep in mind I yanked my own engine for this exact issue Saturday). He called Frank, my welder and his usual mechanic, can't get ahold of him.

So I research, I price, I go, I see, and then we chase down parts and run it over to my house. 2012 Sedona minivan, pumping oil out the pressure switch, which is under the intake. Wife wasn't thrilled, but understood, until she went down stairs to start a load of laundry and found water all over the floor.

YAY!!!!

I got Dan's van fixed up and changed the oil, wasted an hour looking for a lower intake bolt that I laid on the battery hold down. Then I went down and got the basement cleaned up, it looks like the dehumidifier may have been leaking. Wife started cleaning the basement up but her knee popped and I made her quit because she tore that MCL just standing still two years ago, and I really don't want a repeat.

• Sad 4

19richie66

Okay, my day wasn’t that bad after all. 

• Like 1

JCM

I decided on Sunday morning to go to the top of MT Agamenticus which is only about 40 minutes from home on the Dual Sport Bike, when I arrived at the top there were only 3 vehicles there, all employees I suspect, but many vehicles at the bottom, all hikers. This at one time I am told was a Ski area as you can see from the Pics the concrete footings under the observation deck, as well as the Ski Lodge Building now used as a nature center. The picture with the Bike is looking South towards Portsmouth N.H,the picture from the observation deck is looking Northwest towards N.H, on a clear day, no haze you can see MT Washington in N.H.Sorry for the cell towers invading space from that beautiful old Fire Tower, was not always that way up there, overall a nice ride and then back home to pick that paint brush back up and continue the task at hand. Thanks to @Sparky for the pictures of you Dad and friends suited up for a ride to the Berkshires, other wise I would have probably just started painting first thing Sunday morning.

DSCN0137.JPG

DSCN0138.JPG

DSCN0139.JPG

DSCN0142.JPG

DSCN0144.JPG

DSCN0145.JPG

DSCN0147.JPG

DSCN0148.JPG

DSCN0149.JPG

DSCN0151.JPG

DSCN0152.JPG

DSCN0153.JPG

DSCN0153.JPG

DSCN0154.JPG

DSCN0156.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

adsm08
18 hours ago, adsm08 said:

Well my plans for today got blown out of the water. I was hoping to just hang out with the kids this afternoon once they got home.

I got the house cleaned, and about an hour before the wife got home with the kids my dad's one friend calls me, he just left the air port, his low oil pressure light is coming on at idle, and he is leaving a trail of oil and smoke (keep in mind I yanked my own engine for this exact issue Saturday). He called Frank, my welder and his usual mechanic, can't get ahold of him.

So I research, I price, I go, I see, and then we chase down parts and run it over to my house. 2012 Sedona minivan, pumping oil out the pressure switch, which is under the intake. Wife wasn't thrilled, but understood, until she went down stairs to start a load of laundry and found water all over the floor.

YAY!!!!

I got Dan's van fixed up and changed the oil, wasted an hour looking for a lower intake bolt that I laid on the battery hold down. Then I went down and got the basement cleaned up, it looks like the dehumidifier may have been leaking. Wife started cleaning the basement up but her knee popped and I made her quit because she tore that MCL just standing still two years ago, and I really don't want a repeat.

Went down this morning, basement was flooded between the chimney and the sump again. Found it though.

The guy I bought the house from had the condensate pump for the AC slaved to the AC control board and it wasn't running for some reason, so the evap draining was overflowing the tank onto the floor.

The pump still runs from it's float as an independent unit though, so that is now it is now set up. Not sure why the PO wired it to the AC controller in the first place, I had that exact unit at my old place and it never gave me trouble running it from the pump.

ebinmaine
46 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

Not sure why the PO..........

Man oh man. You can finish that sentence anyway you want. So many reasons why people do silly things all the time. Some right. Some wrong. Glad you caught the problem.

adsm08
55 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Man oh man. You can finish that sentence anyway you want. So many reasons why people do silly things all the time. Some right. Some wrong. Glad you caught the problem.

Caught one problem, caused another. Apparently that was a leg of the thermostat circuit going through the pump, so with it disconnected the AC doesn't run at all.

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

Caught one problem, caused another. Apparently that was a leg of the thermostat circuit going through the pump, so with it disconnected the AC doesn't run at all.

Awesome.....

adsm08
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Awesome.....

Really. 

I put it back together so the house got cold for the wife. I am tempted to test it out a bit and see if jostling the pump fixed things, but the bucket is back under it for now. If it isn't working I'll find a way to wire things shut.

I am half temped to find a way to run the AC drain into the dehumidifier. That is right there and it has a spigot installed in the bucket with a hose going to the sump so it can run continuously.

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

Really. 

I put it back together so the house got cold for the wife. I am tempted to test it out a bit and see if jostling the pump fixed things, but the bucket is back under it for now. If it isn't working I'll find a way to wire things shut.

I am half temped to find a way to run the AC drain into the dehumidifier. That is right there and it has a spigot installed in the bucket with a hose going to the sump so it can run continuously.

I'm no plumber by any means but it makes sense to me.