ebinmaine

How do you commemorate Memorial Day?

ebinmaine

First and foremost I would like to give a pure honest wholehearted thank you to anyone who has ever served our country.

I am not a veteran of any military or government agency but I do have a great appreciation for the place and the position in the world and time that I live.

So ......

Keeping or releasing as much anonymity or identity as you feel comfortable doing...

What are the customs or traditions or activities or gatherings that you have been apart of or maybe you're even in charge of?

Is it something simple such as I do like hanging a flag?

Are you the Grand Marshal of a parade in a city of a hundred thousand?

Probably somewhere in between I suppose....

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

squonk

The Village I live in is recognized by the U.S. Government as "The Birthplace of Memorial Day". They have a car and tractor show downtown on Sunday. Weather permitting I bring a tractor or 2 to it. It's a little bit of a PITA to do it as there is little parking so I have to drive the tractor there. Then the IH Club guys move my stuff when I'm out looking at all the cars so they can have my spot and they stick me on the end. I had an RJ there one year and they physically picked it up and carried it to another place.:disgust:  I've had to set up with the JD guys a couple of times. I also have some tractors on display in my front yard.

1977036824_701show001.JPG.35ca1830be8af4633153bca4cf3b473a.JPG

915105908_show002.JPG.fe425a86f836c7c855e53b51e31b8283.JPG

1829708673_memday2018001.JPG.f16f077dd58063501ae29342e7d836ae.JPG

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

SylvanLakeWH

Fly the flag.

Say a prayer of thanksgiving for all serviceman and woman living and dead.

:flags-waveusa:

• Like 4

oliver2-44

I too am very thankful to those who served.  Currently I make sure and fly our great flag and may participate in a church service. 

In my former life as an adult Scout volunteer, out troop provided (and still provides) flag ceremonies for several organizations in town, ranging from churches to parades to civic clubs.   As a Cub Scout Leader one year we had the young boys draw/color cards, with a short note to someone they knew that was a veteran (typically a family member). We also made cards to be sent to Nursing Homes.  We received many Thank You notes from veterans who appreciated what we were teaching those young boys.  I continued to do this with the boys for several years. But it is really such a small sign of appreciation for those that gave ...There ALL! 

If I may share, I have a brother-in-law that severed in Vietnam.  He never talked about it, and usually answered questions with a general reply and changed the subject.  He's now in his mid-70's and has started sharing a little....I learned he was on the ground through much of the siege at Hamburger Hill. One of the bloodies battles for both sides.  During those days, he lost so many that he served with. 

My step-father joined the Merchant Marines at age 16 during WWII, Then he served on a 1/2 track tank patrol in Korea.   He is a very modest man, and never speaks of Korea, except to comment that it was a frozen hell.  At 92, he will talk about the Merchant Marines and the Liberty Ships one on one.  He made over 30 Atlantic or Pacific crossings.  Many of the Liberty ships crews were made up of many young boys and old men and sailors too old or who's health would not allow them to serve in the military. This has prompted me to do some reading, and I've learned the Merchant Marines lost more ships than all the military branches combined. He said the U-boat submarines knew from there spies which ships carried fuel and ammo, and those ships were always the first to be sunk.  Can you imagine parent's and the media's reaction today of allowing 16 year olds doing this.   They are the Greatest Generation.

Thanks for allow me to ramble, lest we ever forget!

• Like 5

rmaynard

I may be splitting hairs here, but Memorial Day is the day we honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. Veteran's Day is when we honor all who have served, or are serving. There is a big difference. 

On Memorial Day I proudly fly my stars and stripes and remember members of my family who died in service. :USA:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

formariz

Usually we spend a quiet day together with the whole family remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice so we can live the way we do. Lets also not forget those who never came back such as these in this beautiful place in Italy.

IMG_0825.JPG.20b6673df2a2c5b3776be1fb2c985688.JPG

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2

Daddy Don

I am a Vietnam veteran and I fly my flag on every Holiday. I do this for the guys we lost in our Squadron. Like others have said Memorial Day is for those of us make it back home. But that does not stop me for thanking all that severed. Also remember all the people back home that supported us while we were there. It was not an easy home coming for the Vietnam veterans when we came home. But  it is a lot easier now 50 years later. I think all the men and women that served in all branches of service. Some gave some some  gave all. Be sure and hang the flag for all and the United States. God bless all.:USA:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob

This was our last Veteran's Day in Florida. I finally got a flag pole planted in the front yard here and will be proudly displaying the flag to honor and remember all those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. :flags-waveusa:

1607520064_VeteransDay2014.JPG.48ebb5a03428124d16598e6493924f21.JPG

• Like 2

LengerichKA88

We fly a flag every day... if it’s football season we hang my late MILs Colts flag, the rest of the year my Marine flag flies.

Memorial day as a kid was never a huge affair... we would grill out but we didn’t have a mass gathering. It was one of only three days my dad would fly the Marine Corps flag we had. In years past, when I was active with the VFW, I would do the Buddy Poppy drives, my last one I was the Poppy Chairman for our post. Now we try to make it a quiet, family day. We do that because I’m sure if you could ask most of the men and women that are planted all across the globe after defending this nation, that would be what they would want: time with their  loved ones. 

To piggy back off of @rmaynard, here is my response when thanked for my service this upcoming weekend:

Its not about me, today I’m just a humble citizen like you thankful that men and women cared enough about something to lay their lives down for it. We have our day in November, let the fallen have their day today. 

Ive said it so many times I have it down pat. While I do appreciate the genuine thankfulness for my time in service, I wish more of a distinction between the two was taught more widely. 

*^ Thats not to discount anyone’s thankfulness, simply to help educate 

23ACA983-958A-47FB-A84B-266E9B8D360B.jpeg

Edited by LengerichKA88
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

LengerichKA88

I will add this: Memorial Day, in my opinion, is also a day to remember the men and women who didn’t die on the battlefield, but here at home because of the battle within. 

Veteran suicide is so rampant, it’s estimated between 20-23 veterans a day take their lives. I was lucky enough to never lose a friend or fellow Marine to combat, but I’ve lost more than I should have to their own hands. 

This may be over sharing to some, but not to me, so here it goes: I myself, over the course of my 31 years, have attempted suicide twice. Once in and once out of service. I have been to the edge, and luckily every time something pulled me back. I have an idea of what’s going through my brothers and sisters heads up to that last second. I am so, so thankful that:

1) I’m here. I failed, but in the best possible way. 

2) Those weren’t my final thoughts on this earth. 

3) That I had people, Marines and family, that loved and accepted me enough (even though I couldn’t see it through my own misery at the time) to help me move forward from those points with out judgement. 

So, for me, Memorial Day is also a day to remember those who fell at home and their families. 

• Heart 1

ebinmaine

@LengerichKA88

I appreciate your honesty. It's a reminder we all need from time to time.

Thank you for sharing.

I think I speak for more than one of us when I say that we are here for you if you need us.

Probably some kind of wisecrack remark headed your way but hey.... That's what I do to make people feel better.

• Heart 2

adsm08

Sadly I usually forget about Memorial Day until I show up to work and nobody else is there.

Veteran's Day I usually buy a bunch of thank you cards at the dollar store and hand them out to people I know have served.

• Like 1

LengerichKA88
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

but hey.... That's what I do to make people feel better.

I wouldn’t expect anything less 😂

I am very open about all facets of my life.... because talking about it without judgment or condescension may be exactly what someone needs to hear, right when they need to hear it. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
On 5/21/2019 at 9:32 AM, LengerichKA88 said:

talking about it without judgment or condescension may be exactly what someone needs to hear, right when they need to hear it.

Agreed

AMC RULES

IMG_1722.JPG.3c0bc9c0accee61846a50be8ed5826bf.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

posifour11

First thing this morning I went to the cemetery near my home. I placed flags for all of my relatives dating back to WW1. I always take extra for other service members who don't have a flag. I figure, I'd like someone to remember me even if it was a stranger.