oldredrider

What do you mow with and why?

oldredrider

Normally I mow with a C-160 auto with a 48" deck. Love it!

This year though (so far) I've been using a 1993 Cub 1330. Don't hate me...there's a reason!

Put in a "new" lawn last fall with shade grass. Heavily fertilized it then and again in the early spring. We've had very good wet weather that is conducive to a prime crop of grass. 

The Cub (which I'm not really fond of, is my wife's) has a bagger. With the grass growing at the rate of 4" per week, the bagger has been a blessing.

As summer gets closer and the grass growth slows, I'll be back on the Horse.

So what do you use and why?

Sparky

I alternate between my C-105 with a 42” side discharge deck and my Craftsman GT3000 with a 46” deck and a triple bagger setup. I also need to bag often. The Craftsman is comfy, powerful (20hp Kohler) and a hydro. So it’s a great mowing machine.

• Like 4

prondzy

Mow 3/4 acre with my trusty 856 with 36in gear drive deck. Why, because this thing cuts the best !

• Like 6

JAinVA

I mow using the 416-8 with a 42"SD in the garden area due to space restraints.I used to use the same setup to mow the rest but finally mounted a 48" on the 416H to speed up the process.It is the first time I have had a deck on H in 2years.I know most of you enjoy mowing but I honestly think it is the least productive thing I do all year.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3

Razorback

I usually use a 2008 Craftsman PGT9000, 28hp (so it says) 2-cyl, 54” deck, triple bagger. Our lot is mostly Bermuda, almost an acre. I bag the clippings and use them for mulch/compost in the garden to keep the weeds down. 

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

I usually mow with my 522xi.  The m ain reason is that I like the 52" deck and the power steering.  I mowed with 3 520H's for years and still like them.

• Like 3

Stormin

I use my C-125 with 43" rear discharge. I also have a 36" RD as a stand by. I mow the green and roadside verges plus a neighbours frontage. On the green I use a Wheel Horse lawn sweeper to collect the cuttings. I don't bother with the verges as they are far from flat.

I also have a 43" SD but that has a twisted shell.

• Like 2

SALTYWRIGHT

I USE A TORO ZERO TURN ON MY LAWN. IT IS VERY HARD FOR ME TO GET ON AND OFF A 8 SPEED WHEEL HORSE TRACTOR.

• Like 5
  • Heart 1

jonw440

2006 JD 145 with bags. I only have a 36 RD for the 314-8.

• Like 1

bigcreek

For now have parked the 314-h it has 42 RD, using the 417-8 with 42 in SD, she cuts great, burns little oil but this old tractor has 1690 hour of had use. I got her last year for 700 bucks. 

Scott 

• Like 2

lynnmor

I mowed for years with a 520H and 60" deck.  In an effort relieve my Wheel Horses of this hard duty and cut mowing time, I bought a 60" zero-turn this spring.  After 3 mowings, I have reduced the time, but I am not impressed with the results.  Sure it will turn short while digging up the grass and soft soil, so that must be avoided.  Side hills and less than perfect grading has the front wheels wandering like they aren't controlled..... wait, they have no control and straight lines are impossible.   If you have a good tractor and wondered what you are missing, my opinion is; not much.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

gsummers

Either the 312-8 w 36" sd, 312-H W 42" sd OR THE 417-a W 42" sd, I also have a 42" rear discharge deck in the shed just in case something happens to any of the other decks. They all cut nice.

• Like 2

71_Bronco

I've been using a 21" push mower for my 3/4 acre, but recently picked up a Commando 8 with a 36" gear drive rear-discharge deck. Super excited to use it once I finish going through it.

• Like 2

953 nut

A couple years back I picked up a nice low hours 310-8 with a 42" RD deck and for me it is the go-to mower. I also have a 42" RD deck on the 418-C but don't mow with is as often because the 310-8 uses half as much gas.

1735370383_310001.JPG.b10ed03a66bf420f9e9959eb31a92fe5.JPG

• Like 8

JAinVA

If you use ethanol free fuel that can mean money saved!

• Like 2

953 nut
7 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

use ethanol free fuel

1094538699_AmenBrother.jpg.78cef6c084c4710cfe9c226bebe0616e.jpg

• Like 2

JoeM

First 20 years on a B100 Automatic, 36" RD, Then a JD X324, 48" SD, The last 5 on a Kubota GR2010 48" SD, I like the 4WD and Power Steering. I have a lot of slopes and arthritis. I do cut in the spring and fall with a 520 48" Mulch Deck, (home made). My buddy talked me into selling the deck so I am working on another.  I missed it last fall especially.

• Like 1

Herder

1968 Charger 12 with a 48" deck.  1976 C-160 H with a 48" deck is on standby. 

• Like 2

WHNJ701

must of the time it's the 854 with a 36 rd.  I did use the 211-4 a few times

20180615_173011.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

jkosackuk

Last year I used a John Deere L123 cause that's all I had, now I'm restoring a Raider 10 and hope to mow with that though I'll have to find a deck somewhere.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

C105.

Why? Only one I’ve got...!

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

PeacemakerJack

Great thread @oldredrider! It’s fun to see what everybody uses and why...

C5840A96-00BD-4010-9BE6-1680BFF493AA.jpeg.7bd308af2c77abfee9311ac382f512a2.jpeg

Our primary mower is Kelli’s RED (523Dxi) with a 60” deck.  The power steering, large mowing swath, foot controlled hydro, and it sips fuel for being a 1400# machine make it one of our regulars. Plus momma likes to use her tractor while getting some sun!  

E63EA93D-FAAF-4C5C-B35E-A867881137A1.jpeg.ddac29112f6ae36d9f417a54dc806c41.jpeg

I often use my 1772 Cub Diesel.  I have a 50” deck for it.  It’s a fun tractor, gives a sharp cut, uses very little fuel, and is a pretty fast machine.

8BF6B2DB-A196-4540-8879-A80924612214.jpeg.e4567aa4c4872399d4b2e60cee3f4dbe.jpeg

Caleb’s JackRabbit (418-C) is quickly becoming a regular use mower as well.  It has a 42” SD but also has the full bagger system which is excellent for those many moments when the lawn is unruly.  It has fast gearing and convenient tight steering ratio...

There is several other machines that we occasionally use because we have them but the above are our primary mowers...

• Like 8
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, 71_Bronco said:

21" push mower

That's what we use in combination with a string trimmer.

We have a decent amount of land and it's almost all forest. Very little grass.

Also VERY rough terrain being half way up the side of the ancient Appalachian Mountains. Extremely Rocky.

• Like 1

chip61

C160 at home and son's house. 416H and 314-8 down in Mathews where I cut close to 6 acres between my place, my fil's and my 2 neighbor's. I know a zero turn would be faster, but I like tractors. I have considered finding a swept axle and 60" deck for the 416. I think it could handle it except for my neighbor's field that I only cut every 4-5 weeks.

A small diesel would be nice if a good deal came along.

• Like 2