ztnoo

Curious 48" deck shell: Need input from the forum members

ztnoo

A couple of days ago I ran across a 48" Wheel Horse deck shell in pretty decent condition (at least in the pics), for sale that had a unique and unusual feature ...... it had no baffles, and appeared never to have any.

It appeared on the top side of the deck as a normal old style deck, such as a 5-1482, 5-1483, 5-1201, or 5-1202.

Every 48" WH deck I have ever seen all had the typical semi-circular baffles built into the back of the underside of the deck. (See 4th pic at the bottom of the message for a typical baffle arrangement).

Has anyone ever encountered a baffleless 48"deck???

Commentary openly invited.

Pics of the deck in question below.

B3.jpg.ecd44b78b0866b7bfa6e5adb6a3539ae.jpg

B1.jpg.8a8a7198e23b319db28f9cf52c4dd85f.jpg

B2.jpg.32ed602bca923221965a16eefe04bedc.jpg

Baffled 48" deck:

4.jpg.06190086f36688fd6c02d770afbc1b62.jpg

Edited by ztnoo

daveoman1966

That could be the VERY FIRST 48 deck that Wheelhorse made....lol.  Don't worry about the baffles.  My 48" deck has no baffles...they rotted out and I cut out the remains.  It cuts fine, just doesn't blow out the clippings as neatly as with baffles.  

• Like 3

ztnoo

Dave @daveoman1966,

I appreciate your input on the operational aspects and your personal experience with baffleless 48 " deck, albeit not an originally baffleless deck shell.

Its good to know you haven't generally experienced any problems with mowing when the baffles have purposely been removed because of natural degradation over time which rendered them useless and actually helped to contribute to additional rusting because of the tendency to catch and trap even more high moisture clippings than when the baffles were fully enclosed and functioning as intended.

However my original question remains for the entire forum membership who are familiar with and who have used 48" decks:

Every 48" WH SD deck I have ever seen all had the typical semi-circular baffles built into the back of the underside of the deck. (See another example a typical baffle arrangement below).

Has anyone ever encountered a baffleless 48"deck which came that way from the factory???

6.jpg.18968b53d3a74382ffba380bfc240c35.jpg

Edited by ztnoo