dkg520

Sickle Bar Pulley

dkg520

Need some advise on this.  Can this pulley be repaired?  It’s from a Wheel Horse sickle bar I’m restoring.  Does anyone have a replacement pulley they may want to part with. Thank you

D0E1084D-4001-4557-A8BA-CEEB8E1C55C4.jpeg

9E2E28A1-DF13-430F-8E8D-87127D97EE24.jpeg

EC3F384A-E832-4153-A25C-DF8F45B07401.jpeg

ebinmaine

Perhaps Jim or Dan could comment on this.

@Achto

@WHX22

953 nut
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Perhaps Jim or Dan could comment on this.

@Achto

@WHX22

They can do it.             You may be able to buy a new pulley from Grainger or other industrial supply houses.

https://www.grainger.com/search?searchQuery=v-belt pulleys&suggestConfigId=6&searchBar=true

• Like 1

WHX??

What model bar dkg? Is that the heavy one on the wobble box?  Is there supposed to be double keyways? I wouldn't think so with that goofy spacing.  I wouldn't be afraid to take a crack at saving it. Can't mess it up any worse.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds/for-sale/keyway-service-r6114/

• Like 1

dkg520

Yes it’s the pulley from the wobble box. The model is SMS-506 and it has two keyways. 

Achto
3 hours ago, WHX22 said:

I wouldn't be afraid to take a crack at saving it. Can't mess it up any worse.

2 hours ago, dkg520 said:

Yes it’s the pulley from the wobble box. The model is SMS-506 and it has two keyways. 

IDK guys. That looks pretty ruff, the hole in the pulley looks like it may even be out of round as well. You might be better off purchasing a new cast pulley and have the second key way cut into it. JMO

WHX??

Dan's got a point about being out of round.. if that's the case then yah it's shot. How does it fit on it's shaft less the keys? If we were to attempt to save it I might want the shaft  as well to get the keyways indexed right. They don't look 180 degrees apart in the pics.  Is that a possibility?

What is the condition of the shaft? Pics of that would help in determining if things are savable. Lets not give up till we see the whole picture so to speak. Is that 2659 the part number we are seeing? I'll pull the manual when I get a chance. 

Edited by WHX22
  • Like 1

WHX??
28 minutes ago, Achto said:

cast pulley

I don't think they are cast Dan... machined steel .. have to go out and look at the one I have... you know the one we are waiting on for someone to make the wobble plate for!?!? :D I might have to get on his beer case about that! :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 1

dkg520

Tomorrow I will post a picture of the shaft. That also needs repair but I wanted to see if the pulley was fixable first.  Thanks guys

• Like 2

moe1965

Machine shop could broach new key way slots or make the sloppy ones a bigger size but you would have to have the shaft oversized to match it. Just a thought 

buckrancher

I don't think the original part had double keys looks to me that there was a earlier repair done

the pulley is a easy fix ( bore the hole bigger and install a sleeve)  but the shaft will also need replacing which can be done also but all repairs will require a machine shop and a welder

Brian

• Excellent 1

dkg520

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I’ve attached photos of the shaft and key way. Buckranger may be correct about the second keyway slot may come a earlier repair because I only found 1 keyway when I dismantled it.  Anyway any suggestions or help with a repair will be appreciated.  Thanks again

2C4843D1-5A76-4EEB-9979-5590A3C56C2E.jpeg

CD218F4B-08C9-4F37-96EC-F06067428178.jpeg

538FF556-4833-49AD-8F3C-7DA43E191F2C.jpeg

8A70DB75-A8A3-4140-8CF8-36580268D6CA.jpeg

0BDDD70D-29A4-48D8-AB1C-A4B60E16ED19.jpeg

4C7DB5EC-93CF-4E56-AFE1-2A4ACA25901D.jpeg

CF442196-71D8-4F88-B346-581B87B01CC0.jpeg

moe1965

I'm sure you will get it all back up and running. Just a added thought. Be sure to use some locktight on the set screws. There is a lot of vibration going on im sure. You dont whant to fix it again im sure. Good luck and keep us posted

WHX??

Checked the one I have and it only has one keyway on an .875 (7/8")  shaft. It does have a 3/16x3/16x1 full length key. There is no set screw but a bolt in the end same as yours. Mine is a 7-1311 but the IPL shows the same 2659 pulley as yours.

The way I see it you have two options on the shaft. Either remove it, weld the old keyways up and have a new one cut in.

Plan B would be to  attend the Ed Kennel school of keyway repair which is basically using a brass key and welding in around it around it. Sound right @Ed Kennell? can't find your thread!

This method would require pulling the seal for repair and replacing it but doesn't require disassembly of the wobble box. Personally I would be tearing down the wobble box for inspection.

This is all assuming the pulley and the shaft surfaces  are in fairly decent shape and not worn. This would be the case if the bar was run alot with loose keyways.

If the shaft or pulley are out of round the only fix is to turn the shaft and/or bore the pulley and add a sleeve and machine/broach as Buckrancher mentioned.

If you have the ability to measure the out of roundness that should be done. Find out if the shaft or pulley is out of round.  if there is no side to side movement with the pulley on the shaft I would proceed with plans A or B. Perhaps one or more set screws could be added to shore things up.

Edited by WHX22
  • Like 2

WHX??

Here's  your manual guy ... shows one key so that nails it. I'll throw it out there that a PO may have tried hand file a second set in there. :confusion-shrug:

Looks like these are '66-'67 units, my fav years...maybe I should just come get the whole thing save you some headaches! :ychain:

Edited by WHX22
  • Like 1

dkg520

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.  I think I will sit on this restore for just a bit and think on what will be best.  I will eventually get it up and running but I need to decide which way to go.  Thanks again to each of you.  Dan

• Like 1