adsm08

Exhausts

rjg854

That did it, looks even better than it did, nice!

• Like 1

ET160

I ordered one, too.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Herder
2 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Just got the piece welded together today and put back on the tractor with the muffler. What a sweet sounding muffler it is!  It did end up moving it back some which is what I wanted it to do. 

32541980-B95C-43B5-8389-2C922D59219B.jpeg

03749584-BD1D-45C2-BACC-468E0A0092C6.jpeg

7ED11A23-9757-4381-BC91-F686F3D1B139.jpeg

Looking Sweet! That tractor come out great.    

• Thanks 1

Herder
1 hour ago, ET160 said:

I ordered one, too.

Feeling inspired, I am going to order one myself. 

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Looks nice Cribs :beer:.. I would have cheated and just used black pipe fittings but do like the custom.

Nobody has mentioned these yet made and sold by Jim Kemp. a bit loud but definitely tractor sounding . Looks are hard to beat!

20190429_164202[1].jpg

• Like 2

adsm08

Well you guys convinced me. I got a few extra dollars this week that I wasn't expecting, so I ordered one. Should be here Friday, not sure if I'll get it on this week or not. I'm leaving Saturday afternoon for a camping/shooting trip and still have some things to get done on the truck before I leave. 

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
2 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

Well you guys convinced me. I got a few extra dollars this week that I wasn't expecting, so I ordered one. Should be here Friday, not sure if I'll get it on this week or not. I'm leaving Saturday afternoon for a camping/shooting trip and still have some things to get done on the truck before I leave. 

Mine came all the way from idaho . I ordered it on Wednesday and it arrived 

on Saturday! It was at the Nashville main hub by Friday. Good price too! 

The Tuul Crib
4 hours ago, WHX22 said:

Looks nice Cribs :beer:.. I would have cheated and just used black pipe fittings but do like the custom.

Nobody has mentioned these yet made and sold by Jim Kemp. a bit loud but definitely tractor sounding . Looks are hard to beat!

20190429_164202[1].jpg

Thanxs. That 22 1/2 degree is hard to find 

atleast around here . I would have had to go to the other side of town to get it so this is what l came up with. I have seen Jim Kemps mufflers still on fleabay. They do look good though!

• Like 1

rjg854

I have 2 of  Jim Kemp's stacks,  one on an 8hp and the other a 16hp, both sound great. I like their sound so much,  I won't use hearing protection on either of those tractors.  I wouldn't think of not using hearing protection on the zero-turn. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

I’m a little late to the party, but a good ole Cherry Bomb is pretty mellow!  I have a motorcycle baffle in the outlet of it.

There’s more noise coming from the other three than from me!

71_Bronco
12 hours ago, rjg854 said:

I have 2 of  Jim Kemp's stacks,  one on an 8hp and the other a 16hp, both sound great. I like their sound so much,  I won't use hearing protection on either of those tractors.  I wouldn't think of not using hearing protection on the zero-turn. 

How does the 8hp sound with that stack? I have a Commando 8 I need a new muffler / exhaust for, and was looking at those chrome / black ones

ebinmaine
43 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

How does the 8hp sound with that stack? I have a Commando 8 I need a new muffler / exhaust for, and was looking at those chrome / black ones

Nick, they are a little louder than the above-mentioned Cub type muffler and they sound great!

@jimkemp does a great job on those mufflers. Very well-built high-quality pieces.

• Like 1

WHX??
13 hours ago, rjg854 said:

I like their sound so much,

Ditto on Jim's stack  ....I'll see about getting a video up once if I ever get it done! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

71_Bronco

Just ordered a stack from Jim Kemp.

Quick question. When mounting it, should I put the stack directly into the 90 degree elbow? This will put the muffler can next to the hood (as shown in WHX22's picture). Or, should I add a piece of pipe in the vertical section, with a coupling, to get the muffler portion higher than the top of the hood?

Does it make any difference? Or more of a personal preference?

Thanks!

ebinmaine
Just now, 71_Bronco said:

Just ordered a stack from Jim Kemp.

Quick question. When mounting it, should I put the stack directly into the 90 degree elbow? This will put the muffler can next to the hood (as shown in WHX22's picture). Or, should I add a piece of pipe in the vertical section, with a coupling, to get the muffler portion higher than the top of the hood?

Does it make any difference? Or more of a personal preference?

Thanks!

the most important thing is to try to keep the muffler at least a good solid inch away from the paint and decals. Other than that, I'm thinking personal preference.

rjg854
11 hours ago, 71_Bronco said:

I truly like the mellow tone it has.  I don't think it's as loud as the stock muffler that the other 8hp has. And it has the look that compliments the tractor. 

20180520_155308.jpg.8bd8670afac31e1165a44970589d33b2.jpg

Edited by rjg854
Add picture
  • Excellent 2

adsm08

Well the old muffler came off easy. I just started the engine, grabbed it with the big channel locks, and held pressure on it until it moved.

The pipe not so much. It put up a valiant fight, was mutilated, the whole front of the tractor was lifted by it, the governor got knocked loose, the torch became involved, but in the end it did come out.

I called it quits and went to Loads for a longer piece of pipe. I'll finish it tomorrow.

The Tuul Crib

I had the same problem with Irv   

The short pipe was a bugger to 

get out. I had visions of cracking the 

head. Pipe wrench heat and tapping 

repeatedly it broke loose!  Phew!

ET160
On 5/16/2019 at 9:49 PM, The Tool Crib said:

I had a bad time, too.  I used a torch and a long bar over the pipe wrench.

The Tuul Crib
10 hours ago, ET160 said:

I had a bad time, too.  I used a torch and a long bar over the pipe wrench.

Send us some pics of what you have done! 

adsm08
On 5/16/2019 at 9:49 PM, The Tool Crib said:

I gooped antiseize all over the head connection, ran the engine hot again until it melted into the threads, and fought with it. Eventually I got it to go tighter, and then it came out easy. I just wish that had happened BEFORE I knocked the governor out of whack. Although now that I had to reset it, which wasn't hard at all, the throttle cable moves much nicer.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

Eventually I got it to go tighter, and then it came out easy.

That reminds me of a really neat and very special trick that is so incredibly simple but highly valuable.

Anywhere in the northern half of the country we have to deal with rust and corrosion on steel or aluminum or other metals.

Back about 25 years ago I learned from a younger auto tech that he was told by a mentor of his...

You can almost NEVER loosen something but you can almost ALWAYS tighten it.

• Like 1

adsm08
On 5/12/2019 at 4:08 PM, The Tool Crib said:

Just got the piece welded together today and put back on the tractor with the muffler. What a sweet sounding muffler it is!  It did end up moving it back some which is what I wanted it to do. 

32541980-B95C-43B5-8389-2C922D59219B.jpeg

03749584-BD1D-45C2-BACC-468E0A0092C6.jpeg

7ED11A23-9757-4381-BC91-F686F3D1B139.jpeg

Where did you get that clamp? I have my muffler secured pretty well right now, but I could not find any exhaust clamps that small.

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, adsm08 said:

Where did you get that clamp? I have my muffler secured pretty well right now, but I could not find any exhaust clamps that small.

I got one like that from my local NAPA... Warehouse, not store.

Many automotive parts places sell those but do not keep them in stock. Tell them you are looking for a catalytic converter clamp and that may get you closer.

You'll want to try two or three different sizes to get the best fit. The size on the box does not necessarily dictate pipe  sizes.

Edited by ebinmaine

The Tuul Crib
1 hour ago, adsm08 said:

It was on the muffler when l picked the

motor up from a friend. Have you tried 

tractor supply?