adsm08

Light Socket Repair

adsm08

So while I was working on the lights on my 855 today one of the wires pulled out of the socket, broken off right at the crimp for the center contact button. Well crap, I know the kits to repair them on the older Fords are getting hard to get, and I didn't really care to wait on one. I got to looking at it, and it looked a lot like a butt-crimp with a rounded end. Well my specialty area is automotive wiring, so I literally buy uninsulated 18-20ga butt-crimps by the bag.

First thing I did was make sure that the 18-20ga connector fit the hole, which it did PERFECTLY. 

LUyCqiz.jpg

Then I set a sheet metal screw upside down on my vice and smacked the crimp down on it to open the end, so I could bend it over (Forgot to take a picture of that part) and then I cut the end to make it the length I wanted.

Lr34sqd.jpg

ooVCnZH.jpg

Then I fed the wire up into the socket, lower disc, spring. Then, with the connector already through the upper disc I put it on the wire and crimped it.

0weELQx.jpg

And viola, my light works again. I didn't take pictures of that either, but it does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

You can get replacement socket contact buttons with the wire  on them  at Napa LS6226.

Edited by squonk
  • Thanks 1

adsm08
28 minutes ago, squonk said:

You can get replacement socket contact buttons with the wire  on them  at Napa LS6226.

If your Napa is competent maybe. Mine has trouble selling me things that are on their shelf, I don't trust them to order things.

I also like to try fixing things with materials I already have on hand, rather than having to go out and buy stuff.

Edited by adsm08
  • Excellent 1

Tractorhead

You can also use a small screw and 2 nuts and added on the Backside a crimpable ringshoe onto the cable.

At my site in Metric i would use simply an M3 Screw with 2 Nuts therefore.

One nut to keep the Screw in place, another to fix the ringshoe.

• Like 1

adsm08
46 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

You can also use a small screw and 2 nuts and added on the Backside a crimpable ringshoe onto the cable.

At my site in Metric i would use simply an M3 Screw with 2 Nuts therefore.

One nut to keep the Screw in place, another to fix the ringshoe.

That's a pretty good solution, and probably a vast improvement on the original design. Unfortuantely M3 hardware is not common in the States. Smallest stuff I can easily get my hands on is M6.

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, adsm08 said:

like to try fixing things with materials I already have on hand

"Use what you have"

One of Trina and my favorite things to do.

Nice job on that phrase's use, and the repair.

@squonk I appreciate and do use some of the numbers you give us.

I have a Napa in the next town that's great but out of my way to get to.

The Napa Regional Warehouses are in Portland Maine so I have great access to whatever you post but it's Very challenging to get some of their counter people to come up with a number.

It took them over 20 minutes to find 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inch exhaust clamps. The kid was already giving up but I knew they had them and really needed it.

There were at least 3 people involved trying to find a stupid simple small exhaust clamp.

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Sad 1

squonk

That's why I try to provide part #'s Walk in with the # and if the're not smart enough to punch it into a keyboard get the manager out there. Tell them "The Squonk says they are a poor excuse for a counterman." :)When I went to work at our local store I was in my early 40's had 20 yrs. in the auto repair business. There were 2 guys older than me already there and a couple guys in their 30's. Now it's all young kids who either didn't want to bother with college or couldn't afford it with no experience with anything but a smart phone. If they can't find it on the computer it doesn't  exist.

My local store has 2 guys there who are smart enough to know where to look but the rest I just embarrass when I walk in. I let management   know about it too. I see these kids when their not busy on their phones. How about looking on your shelves to see what is actually there?  How bout looking through some catalogs to see what's in them if God forbid the power goes out and there are customers but no computer?  I knew every nut and bolt that was in the store because I was the guy who put it there. Folks would ask for something and if I knew it wasn't in the store I would tell them without looking it up. I'd know if that 2" bearing for your grain mixer wasn't there. My favorite was the farmers who's wheel fell of their manure spreaders whilst it was full and in the middle of the field! :helmet:

• Like 1