Horse Play

Bought a Cub 127

Horse Play

Well, a friend at work was going to scrap a Cub Cadet 127 because he thought no one would want it.  It is complete tractor with a solid mower deck, but no clue if it will run (motor is not locked up) or if the hydro is OK.  This is my first tractor that is not a Wheel Horse and my first hydro, so i know nothing about them.  I am going to see if I can get the Kohler running first and go from there.  I paid $100 for everything.  I will post some pics when it is delivered.  Whatcha guys think, are these good tractors to keep or should I flip it? 

• Like 2

Razorback

Just like any others..... they can be good or junk, all depends on how the previous owner(s) took are of it..... or not.

I have a 123, the first hydro IH Cub Cadet made back in 1966. It is a great machine that I am waffling back and forth about selling.... I REALLY like it, but don't really need it.

IMG_1874.JPG

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 4

Stepney

I owned an IH 125 for years. Right between the 123 and the 127. Even with a badly worn engine, that tractor was just fantastic. I will say that I would own any long frame WH before I bought another one, strictly due to versatility and ease of use .. but for yard work and rough mowing, there was no better machine then perhaps my '67 Panzer. They have a sundstrand hydro much like the WH's used in that era. Funny enough, I seem to hear far fewer failures and problems out of them though.. often wonder why. 
The rear end is that of a Farmall Cub. Just try and break it, I dare you.. my 125 pulled many a stump in our yard. It did have some perks over the WH design.. Mine was a 1969 model. The snowblower stunk. All the attachments are considerably more difficult to mount then anything WH. 
But of all the oddballs I've owned, Panzers, Speedex, PK Economy, list goes on.. I have to say that CC 125 was one of the nicest to drive. More roomy and streamlined then a WH. Second to none of a '68 Sears Hydrotrac SS. 

Edited by Stepney
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Razorback said:

waffling back and forth about selling.... I REALLY like it, but don't really need it.

Soo??

Hahahahaha

I don't really neeeeed my other lung right  now either but I'm not gonna sell it ...

:banana-wrench:

I'm just messin with ya .

I'd be the same way....

We have a nice little herd here and I don't want to have something here we can't utilize.

@Horse Play

Let's call in @PeacemakerJack. When he gets a chance to comment he'll shed some more light on the brand.

My grandfather was a Cub guy and they're what got me interested in garden tractors originally.

If nothing else you got a pile of usable parts out of the scrap bin and into hands that'll use them.

Maybe you will end up with a runner??

• Haha 1

T-Mo
8 hours ago, Stepney said:

They have The rear end is that of a Farmall Cub. Just try and break it, I dare you.

No, the 3 speed gear drive IH Cub Cadets were the same as a Farmall Cub.  The hydrostatic units were from Sundstrand.

T-Mo

The 127 was the last hydrostatic narrow frame Cub Cadet.  The 129s were wide frame.  For me, the Cub Cadet hydros were hard to get used to as things are opposite on a Cub Cadet from, say a Wheel Horse or a John Deere, both of which I have owned hydro tractors.  The hydro control lever is on the left, not the right, and the lift levers are on the right, not the left (Wheel Horses and John Deeres have the hydro controls on the right and the lift levers on the left).

The Cub Cadets of the 60s era were tough, durable, and heavily built.  All of the tractor was made of steel, no plastic, except some control levers, seats, and steering wheel, etc.  They used an automotive type steering gear, as did John Deere, and not the sector type that Wheel Horse uses.  To accommodate the drive train, the steering wheel was offset a bit from center. Engine points were set down in the frame a bit, so hard to get to the bottom screws on some models.  The 12 hp tractors, like the 127, had 2 gallon fuel tanks, while the 10 hp models, like a 107, had a one gallon tank.  Starter generators were backwards from a Wheel Horse and a John Deere due to how the engine was sitting in the tractor to accommodate the drive shaft design.  Carburetors are on the left side of the engine, not the front like a Wheel Horse. The hydrostatic tractors had a tow lever on the console which had to be engage to push the tractor, and in my experience, you had to have pulled back the whole time you were pushing the tractor which made it hard to push by hand.

BTW, I had a few CCs in my day.

100_0638.JPG

100_0641.JPG

100_0574.JPG

100_0639.JPG

• Like 3

Mike'sHorseBarn

I have 3 cubs, a 104, a 102, and an original. As previously stated cubs of that time frame are beasts. That's why it's mostly cubs you see at garden tractor pulls. They are direct drive and they are tough as nails. I will say that when they break they are a pain in the rear to work on compared to a horse. But hey, you gotta add a little variety to your life to keep you on your toes right? lol 

Razorback
12 hours ago, Stepney said:

The rear end is that of a Farmall Cub. Just try and break it, I dare you..

This amazed me the first time I saw it...

DSCF2284.JPG

ebinmaine

What do they use as a Transmission?

Mike'sHorseBarn
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What do they use as a Transmission?

It's an IH designed transmission. It's the same one they use on the Farmall cub.

Razorback
1 minute ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

It's an IH designed transmission. It's the same one they use on the Farmall cub.

The rear end gears might be the same as a Cub tractor, but the thread is talking about hydro transmissions on the Cub Cadet garden tractors. I have one, but am no expert. A previous post said that the hydro is a Sunstrand.

(The odd-numbered Cub Cadet GT's are hydro's, even numbers are geared)

T-Mo
3 hours ago, Razorback said:

The rear end gears might be the same as a Cub tractor, but the thread is talking about hydro transmissions on the Cub Cadet garden tractors. I have one, but am no expert. A previous post said that the hydro is a Sunstrand.

(The odd-numbered Cub Cadet GT's are hydro's, even numbers are geared)

Correct.  The gear drive Cub Cadets were the Original, 70, 72, 73, (the one exception to the rule) 100, 102, 122, 104, 124, 106, 126 (all narrow frames), 108, and 128 (both wide frames).  The hydrostatic drive ones were the 123 (first one), 105, 125, 107, 127, 147 (all narrow frames), 109, 129, 149, and 169 (all wide frames).  When you get into the quiet line models, then the numbering system becomes a bit different.

• Like 1

Stepney
8 hours ago, T-Mo said:

No, the 3 speed gear drive IH Cub Cadets were the same as a Farmall Cub.  The hydrostatic units were from Sundstrand.

I was referring to the casting, that is correct. Still, outside of the hydro drive, the internal running gear was the same. 

• Excellent 1

Horse Play

Sorry to be so late responding, life is really crazy nowadays.  

I haven't received the tractor yet, but I have been doing some research and I think it's safe to say I will remain a WH guy. 

WVHillbilly520H

My dad bought an original used in 1977 we still have it that's me plowing snow about '77 or '78 also have a couple "quietlines) 1200 gear drive (mower) and a 1450 hydro (thrower)...they are tough as nails but with the CC sunstrands the hydro valves are the weak link leaking/sticking  ...just from my experiences good luck.

IMAG5303.jpg

IMAG4062.jpg

IMAG4057.jpg

• Like 1

T-Mo

I know of where this Original is for sale.  It was restored by 7 year old with the help of his dad.  The boy is now 15 and needs to save up for a car.  I'm not an Original fan, but it's tempting.  It has a home made little companion cart that will go with it in the sale.

Cub Original Right Front.jpg

Cub Original Hood.jpg

Cub Original Back.jpg

Cub Original Engine.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ZXT

Cubs aren't bad machines. My grandfather is a Cub guy and my 1650 came from him. Good tractor but it needs engine work - it had the crank replaced and I think the crank was from a K301 instead of from a K321 or 41 like it should've been - shakes like everything and the ACR is broken so it cranks incredibly hard. Hope to pull it apart before too long..

Horse Play

I ended up selling the Cub after only having it for five days.  I don't have room for three tractors and I don't have the time to finish my RJ, so I knew it was just too much right now in my life.  

I sold it to a good friend who loves Cubs.  He picked it up on Thursday and had it running and driving the next day - I think he will enjoy it. 

• Like 1