Ed Kennell

More Whatizits

stevasaurus

The spike would go into a hole in the work bench top with that handle thing coming down on a piece of wood you wanted to hold, and with a little tap the spike and handle would jam in the hole and on the work piece.  Thus freeing up both of your hands to use a plane, saw or chisel.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

formariz
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

The spike would go into a hole in the work bench top with that handle thing coming down on a piece of wood you wanted to hold, and with a little tap the spike and handle would jam in the hole and on the work piece.  Thus freeing up both of your hands to use a plane, saw or chisel.

Very good. Operation description is close but not quite there.

It is a Holdfast. Generally a traditional Holdfast clamps an object to the bench top by wedging itself diagonally in the opposite interior edges of a hole drilled through a bench top. Depending on thickness of object Holdfast is brought in and out of said hole. One then strikes curved part of it therefor flexing metal and creating tension on that area and at same time driving shaft at an angle into hole creating the wedging effect in there. To release it one taps the back of Holdfast. On a more modern one it is worked with threaded actuator like a clamp.

This one as you can see compared to the others shown has little reach capacity, making it not so suitable for woodworking. Also driving it into the workbench would make most woodworkers pass out. It is actually used by stone carvers. They usually work on top of a rough beam or plank. They use various holdfasts around stone being carved to hold blocks of wood wedging stone piece between them to prevent it from moving. In this case spike is driven into beam, and then curved part slides up and down spike according to what wood block's thickness.

I use them outdoors many times in a similar manner as a stone carver to hold big chunks of wood when preparing  smaller pieces for timber framing such as brackets.

IMG_1872.JPG.c53bee02080dfa2112676f3a36f70439.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG.a18efe9e38395900fd06d795d0934eb6.JPG

IMG_1866.JPG.8b3768ef9c9ee1e9c61827a143f5976c.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

I'm golfing today.  I'll find a good puzzle and post it tomorrow.  BTW, seen those hold clamps on the New Yankee Workshop.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

formariz
11 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I'm golfing today.  I'll find a good puzzle and post it tomorrow.  BTW, seen those hold clamps on the New Yankee Workshop.  :occasion-xmas:

LOL. Perhaps on the Woodrights Shop, definitely not on the New Yankee Workshop. Norm was not a bench kind of guy. He was more of a tool belt kind of guy.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Sorry guys...give me another day.  Took the wife to the hospital late last night, got home after 4 AM this morning.  Was back up there today.  She is OK...checking things out...may come home tomorrow.  :notworthy:

• Sad 4

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Sorry guys...give me another day.  Took the wife to the hospital late last night, got home after 4 AM this morning.  Was back up there today.  She is OK...checking things out...may come home tomorrow.  :notworthy:

No worries.

Wish her well.

• Like 1

formariz

Hope everything is well. Give her my best wishes.

• Like 1

Stormin

Sorry to hear that. Best wishes from me as well, Steve.

• Like 1

LengerichKA88

No worries Steve, hope all turns out well!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Sorry to hear this Steve.   Best wishes for a  quick recovery.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

953 nut

Steve, I will keep her in my prayers for health and for having to put up with you!          :ychain:

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

Mows4three

Hope all is well, Steve.  

Dave

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Maybe someone else has the next Hoobie-Doobie.  I just don't have the time to look yet.  She may come home this evening.  :notworthy:

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

You take care of Mrs. Steve.     We'll find a puzzle to fill in.  

Edited by Ed Kennell

elcamino/wheelhorse

Sorry to hear about you wife, Steve, hope she is OK.

ZXT

Steve, hope your wife is doing well!

I've waited a few days to post something because I didn't want to jump in front of anyone, but since nobody has posted anything... What do you think this is? Obviously an engine, but what is it,  who built it and what is its history?

engine.jpg

ebinmaine

Hemi.

Early one?

392?

Pullstart

Hey, that’s Ian’s next tractor engine!

I hope all is well with Chris, Steve.  Take good care of her, she puts up with you :handgestures-thumbupright:

formariz

Ford flat head V8-60.

Stormin

Looks like it could have come out of a Ford V8 Pilot.

LengerichKA88

I know even less about cars than I do our tractors, but didn’t Yenko repaint some parts when they did their work to stock Chevys?

Edited by LengerichKA88
^Stab in the dark based on “Who built it/what’s its history”

ebinmaine

What's throwing me off is the spark plug wires being next to each other.

That's not a stalk arrangement for a Chrysler product hemi that I know of.

It isn't a Chevy engine. Distributor is in the wrong place.

Without letting the cat out of the bag completely, how about a hint or two?

• Like 1

formariz

The engine is indeed a Ford V8-60. The one on the photo is a derived Emisol used in Brazilian Simcas from 1964 to 1968.

The Emi-Sul: Nearly a Hemi

Emi-Sul diagramSimca’s next big surprise, however, was saved for April 1966. It was the Emi-Sul series, which included the Chambord Emi-Sul, Presidence, and Rallye Special, produced in conjunction with the Chambord Typhoon and Typhoon Jangada. The Emi-Sul (“Emi” as in “Hemi without the H,” to give the top and middle hemisphere shape) received its name for being the first V8 engine made in the southern hemisphere with hemispherical combustion chambers. Since the Super Typhoon, the hemispherical engine was never offered in French models, prompting engineer Pasteur to declare, during the Emi-Sul series’ launch, “We are not satisfied, neither Brazil nor Simca, with confining our auto industry to copying... Brazil can, the Simca is proving now, take a leading position in the industry.”

The engine gave the Brazilian Emi-Sul handling and performance to match the best and most famous cars in the world, European and American. The automaker classed the Simca as equipped as powerful American cars, as brave Italian cars, as stable as British cars, and as safe as German cars. Then they called to their customers: “Feel like you also drive a car is exciting as international classes. Try the Simca V8 Emi-Sul.”

Actually the Emi-Sul, which took two and a half years of work (and investment of $1 million dollars by Chrysler, which had taken a controlling stake in French Simca in 1963), was an adaptation of the Ardun kit created by “Mister Corvette,” Zora Arkus Duntov. The kit was used by hot rodders and American racers using the Brazilian Ford V8 engines in France. Simca of Brazil, through Pasteur, developed new aluminum heads that housed the valves in the block, and adopted a new intake and exhaust manifolds. They also eliminated the single-axle central camshaft, as the new heads each had a timing belt (that would become popular in the future); the drive was made by lifters and rockers.

Esplanada warranty adEquipped with dual carburetors, DFV 444 (similar to the Willys Itamaraty), the Emi-Sul, due to the new heads, was bulkier than the Aquilon. The battery needed to be removed from the engine compartment and migrated to the trunk of the car. With 2,500 cc (153 cubic inches) and a compression ratio of 9.3:1, the Emi-Sul developed 140 hp (130 hp in the more “tame” version) at 5,500 rpm, enabling the Simca to reach a 160-km/h (99-mph) top speed without risking overheating, something common in the Ford Flathead and Aquilon.

In November, Simca introduced its line for the following year, featuring new models and the Regent Terrace; it also showed the new Simca Esplanada, which was essentially the same car but with a complete restyling of the front and rear, with greatly upgraded interior trim. In the same month, Chrysler (which had, in the U.S., the famous Hemi engine with hemispherical combustion chambers) took a controlling stake in Brazilian Simca.

In March 1967, the first “Yankee” officials took their places in the Via Anchieta plant, and in July, Simca of Brazil changed to Chrysler Brasil. A Regent Esplanada was exported to the U.S. and tested at Chrysler’s proving grounds. Engineering analyses were sent to the Brazilian plant and changes were made to the Emi-Sul to make it more reliable. From August onwards, Terraces and Regents (the rest of the line was discontinued) began bearing a plaque reading “Made by Chrysler in Brazil.” It was interesting: Chrysler, a Ford rival, proceeded to build, outside the U.S., a car with an engine designed by the blue oval brand. A similar occurrence happened when, in the 1970s, Fiat, before buying the Alfa Romeo in Italy, started manufacturing the 2300 in Minas Gerais. (Volkswagen would later continue the trend by building Simca-designed cars under their own name.)

inspetor carlos

Coming back to Emi-Sul: in September American Victor G. Pike took over Chrysler in Brazil and dismissed all French officials, including Pasteur. As changes were made to the engine and quality control was improved, most Regent Terraces were sold with a new Brazilian warranty, roughly double that of Ford: two years or 36,000 km (22,370 miles). The 6-speed transmission was abolished, and the engine produced 140 hp.

Simca GTXThe 130-hp Emi-Sul remained in production, however, with a new camshaft. This allowed the Regent Esplanada to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 13 seconds. Nevertheless, the line inherited by Chrysler Simca found a tough and more modern rival, the Ford Galaxie 500. Trying to get a product to its survival, the plant redesigned the Regent Esplanada in 1968, and besides preparing a sporty version with four-speed, floor-shift, the GTX was introduced in 1969. However, with the emergence of the Chevrolet Opala and the larger Dodge Dart, there was no room in the market for the Regent Esplanada, and production ceased; the value of the cars plummeted, especially after the oil crisis.

People began relying on disassembled cars, which is why the majority ended up in the scrap yard. At the time, the scrap value was high, making it advantageous to sell the Simca, even in good condition, to foundries, which typically paid more than used-car dealers. Completing the picture, Emi-Sul engines, which had aluminum heads (even today an expensive raw material), were “worth gold” in scrap yards. As a result, few cars with hemispheric engines remained intact.

Today, it is difficult to find a Simca engine like the Aquilon, Super Typhoon, or Emi-Sul, for sale in good condition. Parts virtually disappeared, making it somewhat difficult to use the engines in hot rods. But having an engine in a kit car based on the Ardun is certainly something that would enrich any hot rod and cause great admiration. Therefore, it would not be difficult to predict the recovery of the motors.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 3

Stormin

Interesting read. Thanks!

ebinmaine

Thanks caz!