Ed Kennell

More Whatizits

LengerichKA88

The more I look at it, the more it looks like either like some kind of filter puller (like oil filter) or like a pair of jar tongs (that’s what we called em) for canning 

• Confused 1

Mows4three

Is it used to expend or contract rings for placement on a piston or in a cylinder bore?

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Your up Dave.     I knew this wouldn't be a challenge for any of the engine rebuilders, but would be difficult for non users.

P5060392.JPG.f09f8577a015ca1542932d9a645f9f71.JPG

Mows4three

Boy, oh boy, Ed.  That was just an educated guess.  I've only built one engine in my days, but we used a steel cylinder to install the rings.   Wow.   That was like 35 years ago.   Built a 390ci engine for my '76 Ford Highboy. 

Ok.  Here goes.   This tool has a very specific function.   Used in a trade.   Figure out the trade and you are 3/4 of the way to figuring out the use of this item.   

Dave

Ready?

Ready?

Here you go!

IMG_5433.PNG

Ed Kennell

plumbing vise

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Mows4three said:

Is it used to expend or contract rings for placement on a piston or in a cylinder bore?

It is used to expand the rings so they can be installed or removed from the piston.

Another tool,, a ring compressor, is used to compress the rings so the piston can be installed in the cylinder.

Mows4three

Not a plumbing device.  

Mows4three
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

It is used to expand the rings so they can be installed or removed from the piston.

Another tool,, a ring compressor, is used to compress the rings so the piston can be installed in the cylinder.

Gotcha!  I know what you mean.  We used the compression device to get the loaded piston into the cylinder.  

Dave

posifour11
2 hours ago, Mows4three said:

Boy, oh boy, Ed.  That was just an educated guess.  I've only built one engine in my days, but we used a steel cylinder to install the rings.   Wow.   That was like 35 years ago.   Built a 390ci engine for my '76 Ford Highboy. 

Ok.  Here goes.   This tool has a very specific function.   Used in a trade.   Figure out the trade and you are 3/4 of the way to figuring out the use of this item.   

Dave

Ready?

Ready?

Here you go!

IMG_5433.PNG

I used to be in a vocation that used these. So, I'm out. I'll explain myself once it is revealed. 😀

• Like 1

Mows4three
3 hours ago, posifour11 said:

I used to be in a vocation that used these. So, I'm out. I'll explain myself once it is revealed. 😀

Thanks!   You are correct.  It has a very specific use.

Not too many will be able to figure this one out without digging deep!

Dave

• Like 1

formariz

It is a lock picking vise.Its used to mimic picking a lock while installed in a door.

• Like 1

Mows4three

Correct.   You're up.   

formariz

Here is something different related to a totally different subject not covered so far. It is one of my favorite objects here. Is it real and quite a bit older than the US. Nothing short of a miracle that it has survived intact. It may be easy or it may be hard to figure what it is. Most unlikely that you will find it in a Google search. In the end I will tell how I came to obtain it.

IMG_1832.JPG.1d7ac0c1afb25104c570ac66679b0a92.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG.8fb4a803a1f1e64a25a439059d9086df.JPG

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Fred Flintstones original travel mug   :lol:     or a clay container from biblical times.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Haha 3

posifour11
3 hours ago, Mows4three said:

Correct.   You're up.   

Now that the cat's out of the bag. 

I used to take care of foreclosed properties for banks.  I had one of these, but never had to use it. Folks that abandoned a house never spent much on door locks. It turns out that I'm pretty good at picking locks by feel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell

Mortar cup for grinding

• Sad 1

Ed Kennell

pasta roller

• Sad 1

posifour11

Wagon axle end cap?

• Confused 1

Ed Kennell

The idea data bank is showing   Image result for empty gage pic

• Haha 3

formariz

I guess I need to help it along. It is a container for something. The recess in center has a lot to do with how it is used. There are "modern" versions of it but this is pretty much the original.

Ed Kennell
11 hours ago, Mows4three said:

Dave

Ready?

Ready?

Here you go!

IMG_5433.PNG

Back to this for a minute Dave.   Please explain how this is used.   Is the lock between the two clamps?     I assume the bottom clamp fastens the device to a desk or table.  What goes in the top clamp?

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Melting pot....Is groove used for support and handling?

formariz
1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

Melting pot....Is groove used for support and handling?

Its a clay pot.Can't melt anything in it. Would destroy it. Groove does have to do with support.

formariz
10 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Back to this for a minute Dave.   Please explain how this is used.   Is the lock between the two clamps?     I assume the bottom clamp fastens the device to a desk or table.  What goes in the top clamp?

• Thanks 2

Ed Kennell

Thanks, I guess I was expecting this to do more than support a lock core.

OK, back to the clay pot.       Chemist mixing pot?

Edited by Ed Kennell