ebinmaine

Type of chainsaw chain for cutting stumps and roots?

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

They make carbide tipped Sawzall blades now. Picked up a couple to cut a 10" I-beam. Wonder how long they would last in the dirt?

Garry

I tried them. They were okay. honestly I'm not sure if they lasted any longer than normal.

DennisThornton
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I tried them. They were okay. honestly I'm not sure if they lasted any longer than normal.

Too pricey for me so I've never tried them but I certainly expected them to noticeably outperform regular chain!  Takes a special grindstone to sharpen them!  Should last longer...

I think the best bet is a shovel (I hate shovels!), a water hose and a recip saw.  I have a backhoe on my CUT and I still have troubles with BIG pine stumps and large hardwood stumps.  A couple years of decay helps and digging around well outside of the stump seems faster overall for me.  If I can tear through one side I can leverage out some surprisingly large stumps!

• Like 1

tom2p
7 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

They make carbide tipped Sawzall blades now. Picked up a couple to cut a 10" I-beam. Wonder how long they would last in the dirt?

Garry

I've acquired a fairly large and diverse supply of blades over the past 6 months - most from flea markets (including this past weekend) ; huge savings compared to retail stores 

have a mix of standard and carbide blades - all have worked well - but most of my recent cutting has been wood so I can't provide quality feedback at this point 

I did cut through some wheelbarrow bolts and metal supports with a standard Bosch bi-metal blade - the cut was quick and the blade looked fine when done 

for dedicated metal cutting my guess is the carbide tipped blades could be worth the added expense - based on my experience with snowmobile ski runners / wear bars ('skegs') 

in poor conditions (limited snow) you can quickly wear down and through standard runners (and eventually into the skis) - but carbide runners will wear much better / provide better control and steering and are worth the added expense 

Edited by tom2p

tom2p
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

I think the best bet is a shovel (I hate shovels!), a water hose and a recip saw.  I have a backhoe on my CUT and I still have troubles with BIG pine stumps and large hardwood stumps.  A couple years of decay helps and digging around well outside of the stump seems faster overall for me.  If I can tear through one side I can leverage out some surprisingly large stumps!

ughhh - brings back memories ... bad memories !

I dug up a number of large pine tree stumps and roots - also a cherry tree and some fairly large (and stubborn) fruit trees (primarily apple) and shrubs 

worked on them on and off - took a few years to complete 

also rented a stump grinder at one point - that helped but still had to deal with some good size roots 

cedar (shrub) stumps were the hardiest - virtually no decay a few years after they were cut - but fortunately they were not too large 

the cherry tree stump was the largest - my neighbor shamed me into removing it when I suggested I might call a tree service or rent a stump grinder again 

had a huge hole in the ground and the stump was so big needed a machine to remove it - so then I shamed my neighbor to get his bobcat to lift the stump out of the hole (and the rear of the bobcat lifted in the air when the stump was lifted)

• Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D
On 3/15/2021 at 7:43 PM, DennisThornton said:

(I hate shovels!)

Amen! ANY solution including explosives is preferable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

harwester1979
On 4/18/2019 at 9:40 PM, Achto said:

:text-yeahthat:This is what I would do. I might even try sharpening it  when it gets dull, depending on how much dirt covered wood you need to cut up.

Do you think Stihl chainsaw chain is the best?

Achto
5 hours ago, harwester1979 said:

I normally buy Oregon chains, I have had good luck with them.

Edited by Achto

Handy Don

The best for roots? Borrowed (NOT from a real friend). :)

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Achto said:

I normally buy Oregon chains, I have had good luck with them.

Yepp. Me too. 

• Like 2

lynnmor
7 hours ago, harwester1979 said:

I checked your website, you should be telling us.

Jeff-C175
15 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I checked your website, you should be telling us.

Wait for the spam?!...