Razorback

After 2-year hiatus..... 2019 garden!

Darb1964

That's what I'm looking forward to, but  in the Berkshires we must wait a little longer. Still have feet of snow to melt. 

Nice horse

• Thanks 1

Razorback

A few more pics

IMG_0873.v01.jpg

IMG_0874.v01.jpg

IMG_0875.v01.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Lane Ranger

One great looking plot of good growing ground there Razorback!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Razorback
28 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

One great looking plot of good growing ground there Razorback!

I think the good Lord knew that I would want to garden when we found this house in 2003. Here in NW Arkansas, it is unusual to have decent ground for a garden..... very common for your yard to be full of rocks and red clay. For some reason, most of my back yard has good dirt. Rocks? Yes. but over the years I have cleared most out of this area.... as long as I don't dig down too deep.

Edited by Razorback
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Razorback said:

Rocks?

Great looking garden there!

We Farm rocks here in the Northeast Mountains as a pastime. :ychain:

I'm lucky enough to live in one of the most rock-dense areas so a garden in the regular ground isn't an option.

We don't grow much but will do a little more this year.

We'll do container and raised beds.

Keep us posted on your progress and I'll be following along....

6 hours ago, Darb1964 said:

That's what I'm looking forward to, but  in the Berkshires we must wait a little longer. Still have feet of snow to melt. 

Nice horse

Welcome to Redsquare!!

Us too on the snow here.

Went snowshoeing 2 days ago.

Still have mostly 15-22" down and spots in the forest are as deep as 27".

Lane Ranger

Razorback:   My old tiller setup was a 1993 Tiller on a 1978  C-121 Wheel Horse 8 speed.  Photo in front of barn is my old set up with C-121.

I sold it to a guy who kept asking me to sell it to him.

That same year the lady who has the ground I do my big vegetable garden in said she had to have basil again ( I gre four kinds in one year) so I needed another tiller.

This time my tiller tractor has a 1978 tiller on a 1993 tractor -just the opposite of my previous equipment set up.    But as with most Wheel Horse attachments still compatible.

Looking forward to getting in the ground this year.   Going to require a lot of prep this year.   Weeds everywhere which we did not clean out last year.

Last  photo os of my 701 tractor with hydro lift (Hein Werner pump)  and my nine tine cultivator in third week of April  (not happening this year)!

The nine tine cultivator has a mix of Danish tiens  (different sizes) and shovel tines.   I can do 7 rows in 15 minutes and clean total garden.

Garden is about 60 by 100 feet.

020.JPG

021.JPG

019.JPG

017.JPG

016.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1
  • Heart 3

Razorback

@Lane Ranger

Your garden spot appears to be about the same size as mine (40’x150’). Mine is sloped down hill , so I have to place the rows across the 40’ width in hills to allow for heavy rains. We have raised tremendous amounts of food from that spot. Some years it was crammed so full that you couldn’t see any dirt during mid-season. This year, though, I am determined to plant less in the same space, but keep the rows spaced so I can enjoy some faster cultivating, maybe with the mid/rear mount cultivators that came with my WH, maybe the tiller, or I might use the sleeve hitch and Agri-Fab cultivator, or maybe the 1974 Troy-Bilt Horse, or the Speedex 1631 and the cultivator shanks on the tool bar.....

too many fun toys to choose from!

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Here's some cool gardening implements I picked up within the past year...my dad has the cultivators in the last pic.

IMAG4778.jpg

IMAG4773.jpg

Screenshot_20180926-202603.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Razorback said:

too many fun toys to choose from!

That's a terrible problem to have

:banana-rock:

• Like 2

Razorback

I can hear stuff growing already!!!

Got 3 rows of Roma II green beans and a row of purple leaf lettuce in today. Still need a row of Black Seeded Simpson leaf lettuce, and some collard greens. That’ll be it until melons, sweet taters, okra, squash, etc.

49652C7B-9A3D-45D8-8D31-4F722D182F7E.jpeg

• Heart 1

ebinmaine

I have a lot of Envy for you folks who have usable plots of land like that.

It's all good though. We are stuffed in the middle of 11 or 12 acres of very nice Forest and we love the mountains.

Looks fantastic. I'm looking forward to watching that grow and flourish along with others who post there own Gardens this year

• Like 1

Razorback
29 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I have a lot of Envy for you folks who have usable plots of land like that.

It's all good though. We are stuffed in the middle of 11 or 12 acres of very nice Forest and we love the mountains.

Looks fantastic. I'm looking forward to watching that grow and flourish along with others who post there own Gardens this year

I’ll have to dig up some pics of past year’s gardens..... they’ll really show what this ground can accomplish!

Lane Ranger

Razorback:  Here are a couple pictures from a previous years gardens.   We have some good growing soil!

142.JPG

137.JPG

141.JPG

319.JPG

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

@Lane Ranger

Love those buildings and silo

• Like 1

Razorback

Makes my mouth water!!!!!

Lane Ranger

This is on an 1858 Hoosier homestead farm.

Reelsville, Indiana near Manhattan.   A road ran by this place from Louisville to Greencastle. 

Daniel Boone's brother Squire Boone settled in this area and the Boone Hutcheson Cemetery has his sons and daughters buried in it.

Among them are members of the Daniel Boone family, possibly including his sister and sister-in-law. Numerous other Boone descendants are buried in the cemetery. Three of Squire Boone's (Daniel's brother) children are buried here.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/84393/boone-hutcheson-cemetery

Boone Hutcheson Cemetery to make major addition Monday, July 13, 2009 By MARIBETH WARD, Staff Writer The Boone Hutcheson Cemetery has gravesites that go back as far as 1812, more than a decade before the formation of Putnam County. Many pioneers who helped create and grow the county are buried in this quiet island of solitude resting on top of a hill in southwestern Putnam County. Among them are members of the Daniel Boone family, possibly including his sister and sister-in-law. Numerous other Boone descendants are buried in the cemetery. Three of Squire Boone's (Daniel's brother) children are buried here. Not everyone agrees that Phoebe Rissler Boone (Squire's wife) is buried here, although there is a monument to her. Three of her children, Matilda, Irv and Melmoth are all buried in Boone Hutcheson. Some records show the stone with Phoebe's name was erected by her family when she and Squire left Putnam County in 1852 for Iowa. Besides the Boones, Hutchesons and Risslers, some of the older names in the Boone Hutcheson cemetery include Halls, McIntoshes, Smiths, Chadwicks, Chews, Lewis, Olivers, Roberts, Rogers, Strobes, Sutherlins and many others. "Two Boone boys were here just last week from Indianapolis. They are direct descendants of Daniel. They were making arrangements to be buried in the Boone section in the front of the cemetery," explained board member Keith Hutcheson, who has five generations of family buried at the cemetery. The cemetery is open to anyone wishing to purchase a plot and soon there will be 3,000 more gravesites available.

The cemetery's board of directors recently voted to spend $35,000 on the purchase of land and development of more sites directly north of the original cemetery. "We think this addition will take the cemetery far into the future and provide plenty of space for future generations," said Gordon Hutcheson, another multi-generational descendent of early Putnam County pioneers. The board members also hope the addition will bring in needed donations to keep the cemetery in good shape. They have been considering the expansion for over ten years. "The board noted how the gravesites were diminishing and feels it is important for those of generations to come to have burial options at Boone Hutcheson. This is a way to keep it open and have sites available for years to come," said Gordon Hutcheson. "Like many cemeteries, we have no state or county funding. We take care of the cemetery through donations and the sale of grave sites. We have some faithful donors but need more to ensure the care of the cemetery," he added. Annual maintenance and the cost of insurance per year is approximately $7,000. The addition will add to that cost. Because of this the cemetery board is asking for one-time donation pledges to help replenish the cemetery funds. Indiana Trust Information www.FrankKraft.com Prior Planning Prevents Problems Download a Free Report Today! LegalZoom - Living Trusts www.LegalZoom.com Get it Right with LegalZoom: Expertise, Service, Speed & Value. Freeport Area Attorneys www.Plager-Law.com Plager, Krug, Bauer & Birkholz, Ltd Experienced Attorneys Serving NW IL Give Peace of Mind www.uslivingwillregistry.com Give the gift of a lifetime member- ship in the US Living Will Registry Greencastle Banner-Graphic: Local News: Boone Hutcheson Cemetery to... http://www.bannergraphic.com/story/1554138.html 1 of 3 10/21/2011 11:06 AM "Any amount is appreciated. We are offering the opportunity for a gold pledge for $1,000 or more (installment payments may be made); a silver pledge of $500 or more and a bronze pledge of $100 or more," said Gordon Hutcheson. Plots in the 1949 addition have cost just under $200. The new plots will run a little higher, ranging between $250-300. Most of the work done in the cemetery is done by the board members including mowing and other maintenance. They will also do most of the construction of the new area. They have cleared the land and now will begin hand-measuring the four by ten foot sites. "It will take at least 2,600 bricks. These all have to be laid on the corners of each site. We have to hand dig every hole for the bricks. It's hard work but saves us a lot of money," explained Keith Hutcheson.

He added that board members and family members have been doing the maintenance at Boone Hutcheson for a long time. "At one point this place was overrun with blackberry vines. They were so thick the horses they were using to pull the mowing machines didn't want to walk in where the bushes were," said Keith Hutcheson. When asked how the site for the cemetery was chosen. The two Hutchesons supposed that first early settler buried in 1812 was laid to rest by fellow pioneers who ventured into the yet unformed Putnam County. The 1812 grave was documented by Grace L. Cohn and Martha Williams, Reelsville on Sept. 30, 1980.

One of the earliest known settlers in Putnam County was Dr. Walter Hutcheson who arrived in 1827, nine years after the first recorded settlers James Athey and John Colman submitted land deeds in 1818. Putnam County was not founded until 1821; a year after Daniel Boone died at the age of 80. At that time Indiana was a primeval forest covering an unbroken wilderness from the Ohio River to the northern part of the county. The pioneers buried in Boone Hutcheson embodied the cherished American characteristics of rugged individualism, strength and bravery. As more families followed these early settlers to Putnam County they built lives. They married, had children and buried their loves ones. Many are in the beautiful, historic cemetery sitting on a tall hill overlooking Walnut Creek and the picturesque Houck Covered Bridge. "We have all kinds of visitors up here," said Gordon Hutcheson. "We have DePauw students, people from out of the county and neighbors who all come up here. Some of them hunt through the gravestones. Some of them just sit and look out over the view. It's a beautiful place."

Edited by Lane Ranger
added information
  • Like 1

Marv
2 hours ago, Razorback said:

and some collard green

Just cooked them today and had them for supper. Must say they were good too.

Marv

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Here's a couple more of dad's garden implements, a potato plow (red) and his blue 2 row lay off plow...

IMAG3394.jpg

IMAG4254.jpg

• Like 2

Razorback

Checked the garden today...... onions are starting to come up, green beans are just starting to puff up to sprout.... a few more warm days and they will be up. Lettuce seed also looking like it will come up soon.

Got the C160 out and stirred up the dirt between the rows, and tilled up another spot...... will probably use it for squash and sweet potatoes when it is time.

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

You keep up the pace and you'll have all garden and no mowing.

:ychain:

• Like 1

Razorback
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

So far, I have a little over 1/2 of my normal garden area tilled up. The rest needs a few days of dry weather to be good for ploughing. Looking forward to seeing how this Wheel Horse does with the Brinley behind it. Will need to get the chains installed for that.

• Like 1

Razorback
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Your comment reminded me of something..... I mentioned at the beginning of this thread about my gardening dwindling down to nothing a couple of years ago.... mainly due to the fact that we got a travel trailer and really like using it (and there were some basic upkeep items and projects it needed), our 1981 Ford Bronco was having stuff done to it, and well, I was just simply burned out on gardening. Boiled down to lots of stuff to do and limited time to do it (work schedule played in, too.) It finally got to the point where I told my wife, “You know there’s a problem when you have to MOW the garden!”

So, I guess my point is: even though it would be much easier to keep the garden spot untilled, I am bound and determined to keep a nice garden this year....... AND keep a decent camping schedule!

• Excellent 1

Razorback

Went out and looked at the garden..... onion tops are visible, lettuce just poked through today. Taters are working their way to the surface, and it looks like the green beans might sprout soon.

• Excellent 1

Razorback

Tater vines started poking through yesterday! Green beans won’t be far behind.

• Like 1