Ed Kennell

Working the Horses

Achto
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I noticed the horses had to work harder to pull this  cultimulcher than they did to pull the one bottom trip plow.  They had to lean into it to keep it moving.

I was surprised how well the mulcher wheels broke up the soil.

I am not a fan of horse's :snooty:, in fact in my mind the only horse worth owning will have wheels and an engine. Although I do enjoy watching a good team of horse's work together. I also like to try to pick out the lazy one in the team, it is very common for one horse in the team to try to stay about a 1/2 step behind the others. Most drivers will know which one it is & will be giving that horse a little more coaxing than the others.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto
5 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Jay, did I tell you about the time when my dishwasher quit working?

I just slapped her a few times and she started running.

Cartoon Woman with a Rolling Pin Chasing a Man — stock illustration

If that didn't go well, then you definitely don't wanna try to turn your dish washer into a snow blower...by handing her a shovel.:D

• Haha 4

WHX??

Sounds like you know someone with hayburners Dan... don't know if I like the part about the lazy one tho...that might be me! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Achto
8 minutes ago, WHX22 said:

Sounds like you know someone with hayburners

We had a few when I was a wee lad, big brother still has some. He has his reasons for liking them, I have my reasons for not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell
10 hours ago, Achto said:

I also like to try to pick out the lazy one in the team, it is very common for one horse in the team to try to stay about a 1/2 step behind the others. Most drivers will know which one it is & will be giving that horse a little more coaxing than the others.

The black on the right (left in the pictures) is the lazy one in this team.      When Mr. Fisher bought these horses and set them up in the hitch, he had to shorten the trace chains on lazy to pull him back in the hitch to encourage him to pull a litter harder to keep up.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I started as a lad also Dan.   That's me on Bob on the left.

We used them to pull coal from the mines and for field work.    I had to lead Bob in the row as we cultivated the corn and Bob got great pleasure trying to step on my feet.

I hated Bob.

IMG_4906.JPG.43f955123e4466bf551ffe1010ca25b2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

LengerichKA88

You guys made me think of this line from “O Brother where art thou”

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, LengerichKA88 said:

You guys made me think of this line from “O Brother where art thou”

Excellent movie

LengerichKA88
18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Excellent movie

One of my favorites. 

Whenever the wife and I argue I always say “I’m the Got#€^’ Paterfamilius!”

Works about half the time 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

formariz
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I started as a lad also Dan.   That's me on Bob on the left.

We used them to pull coal from the mines and for field work.    I had to lead Bob in the row as we cultivated the corn and Bob got great pleasure trying to step on my feet.

I hated Bob.

IMG_4906.JPG.43f955123e4466bf551ffe1010ca25b2.JPG

This is an awesome photo. It is so great when we have palpable memories from our past that we can share with others, and for us looking at it is is a total revelation for we never imagine that someone we know would have a past with those kinds of experiences. Also experiences that many never had, and that today are basically nonexistent to many. Although I was also fortunate in that way a little bit ,my greatest regret on life is to not have been born 100 years earlier, since the way of life, values, etc,that I value are mostly gone. Seeing this photo and hearing from you about it, I now imagine that having that activity right on your door step is something that pleases you and you enjoy seeing all the time. I certainly would appreciate that and would look forward every day to watch it..

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:  exactly.

Ed Kennell
17 hours ago, Achto said:

If that didn't go well, then you definitely don't wanna try to turn your dish washer into a snow blower...by handing her a shovel.:D

The only way my "dish washer"  would clear snow is if it  was in her living room.   Then she would use her hoover to bag it.

• Haha 3

Ed Kennell

Yesterday  they spread the fertilizer and no, it was not roadapples.   They had a modern spreader with granular fertilizer. It was pulled via the horses.  Sorry I didn't get a picture.

Today he is working the fertilizer in with the cultimulcher.  This is his second pass.

P3260227.JPG.0b8e634b64c499ca6249ad0e41c0e6ce.JPGP3260229.JPG.278dce626361dd728cc48bf4f0d641d6.JPG

Anyone notice anything different in the hitch?

• Like 2

LengerichKA88
27 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Yesterday  they spread the fertilizer and no, it was not roadapples.   They had a modern spreader with granular fertilizer. It was pulled via the horses.  Sorry I didn't get a picture.

Today he is working the fertilizer in with the cultimulcher.  This is his second pass.

P3260227.JPG.0b8e634b64c499ca6249ad0e41c0e6ce.JPGP3260229.JPG.278dce626361dd728cc48bf4f0d641d6.JPG

Looks like they did a repower

• Haha 1

JoeM

Briggs, Onan, Kohler, Tecumseh and Preditor!

• Haha 3

formariz
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

@Ed Kennell  Looks like Bob is back to work.:D

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, formariz said:

@Ed Kennell  Looks like Bob is back to work.:D

3 hours ago, OILUJ52 said:

Briggs, Onan, Kohler, Tecumseh and Preditor!

Good catch guys.   That long legged lightweight on the outside is actually Sparky...the buggy horse.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Today was sweet corn planting day.      This two row planter deposits the seed and weed killer, then covers it with plastic.   P1010236.JPG.24575d70965bbfde4f689711e3670cd9.JPGP1010238.JPG.84b3e198bbd5608b5f0822578608a9ad.JPGP1010240.JPG.bc2ae7c1b2f65dd479a73b8832755806.JPG

• Like 4