WildmanC120

What deck for my C-161??? 520 front end swap...Who has done it???

What Deck to buy for my C-161????  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Buy a 48" deck or MOD my tractor and go 60"????

• 48"
    • 60"

WildmanC120

I close on my new house on Tuesday the 26th.  I have 3.1 acres to mow.  I have a C-160 and a C-161.  I only have small decks (36" and 42").  Should I just buy a 48" and be done with it or grab a 60 and do the front end swap?  I really cant decide.  I also cannot find a good used 48" deck but have found a few 60's for good price.  Not so sure on the mod to my tractor.  Any and all info would be appreciated. 

Ed Kennell

The 60"decks weigh 300+ lbs.   They are a bear to install and remove.    I would not put one on a manual lift tractor.   

If I felt I needed a 60" deck to reduce the mowing time, I would look for a 520H with a deck.    :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

WVHillbilly520H

:text-yeahthat:...

WildmanC120
44 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

The 60"decks weigh 300+ lbs.   They are a bear to install and remove.    I would not put one on a manual lift tractor.   

If I felt I needed a 60" deck to reduce the mowing time, I would look for a 520H with a deck.    :twocents-02cents:

My C-160 and C-161 are both hydro lift.  My c-161 is also a 22hp predator.  I also do not have the money for a new tractor at this time as I have spent every nickle on the house. 

JAinVA

You will have to decide whether to spend the money on a 48" deck or the money on the 520 parts needed to use a 60" deck.Your call.JMHO JAinVA

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I got ya. I'm not sure what work and expense may  get involved in swapping the front ends and steering.   The other factor to consider is the strength of the Sundstrand vs the Eaton 1100.

WildmanC120
Just now, JAinVA said:

You will have to decide whether to spend the money on a 48" deck or the money on the 520 parts needed to use a 60" deck.Your call.JMHO JAinVA

At this point the 520 parts and 60 inch deck seems to be the cheapest route and easiest to find.  I was not wanting to mod my tractor though so there is that.  

im interested in seeing people mod and how easy it is etc. 

JAinVA

OK,The 520 mods can be done with little change to your current machine.If you want to mount the gear reduction steering it is a bolt on.The 520 H had an additional pair of 3/8' holes in the frame for the base unit.Thats the only difference and you can probably ignore this mod.The 520 HC didn't have the gear reduction steering but just the forward swept axle so you choose.I have all of these combos but not a 60 deck. 

WildmanC120
1 minute ago, JAinVA said:

OK,The 520 mods can be done with little change to your current machine.If you want to mount the gear reduction steering it is a bolt on.The 520 H had an additional pair of 3/8' holes in the frame for the base unit.Thats the only difference and you can probably ignore this mod.The 520 HC didn't have the gear reduction steering but just the forward swept axle so you choose.I have all of these combos but not a 60 deck. 

How do you like your tractors with the swap?  Is it really as easy as just dropping the old axle and new one in?  I will probably go without the steering

JAinVA

Yes, Pull the axle pivot pin and stuff a swept axle in.The tie rods are another story.The horizontal steering shafts are different at the tie rod end.The HC and 520h use a wider plate at the tie rod end and you will need an HC or 520h shaft or make a replacement plate on you current setup.

Edited by JAinVA

Ed Kennell

I'm curious also Jim.   Do you need the 520 tie rods, spindles and wheels or will the C components fit?      I'm not considering a 60" deck, but more clearance with the right wheel would make it easier to remove and install the 42s and 48s.

Ooops, you got the answer in while I was typing.

Edited by Ed Kennell

WildmanC120
5 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Yes, Pull the axle pivot pin and stuff a swept axle in.The tie rods are another story.The horizontal steering shafts are different at the tie rod end.The HC and 520h use a wider plate at the tie rod end and you will need an HC or 520h shaft or make a replacement plate on you current setup.

Could you just use some different tie rods to avoid the plate change?  

Ed Kennell

Aww, what about a plow/ dozer Jim. Would you then need the 520 frame extension?

JAinVA

Ed, I hope I can get this right.The swept forward axles need a different tie rod and horizontal steering shaft.The steering shaft for the swept axle are wider(bigger) at the tie rod area.If this helps great,if not I can provide picture tomorrow. 

JAinVA

Ed I would say yes as the tires are about 2.5" further out front.

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Got it Jim.  

JAinVA
8 minutes ago, WildmanC120 said:

Could you just use some different tie rods to avoid the plate change?  

You could but keep in mind that each tie rod design is very different.The standard WH sets are closer to lawn tractors of the time and the HC/520h designs mimic the farm tractor design.

Edited by JAinVA

WildmanC120
1 minute ago, JAinVA said:

You could but keep in mind that each tie rod design is very different.The standard WH sets are closer to lawn tractors of the time and the HC/520h designs mimic the farm tractor design.

Thanks. I was just hoping to not have to dig into replacing more parts. 

roadapples

@Ed Kennell tie rods like you made for your low rider custom would work great. Just jump up a size for heavy duty..

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Fyi Wildman, these are the tie rods Jay @roadapples is referring to.

IMG_6890.JPG.ed501fe6cffde085fe985015885cc161.JPG

• Excellent 2

JAinVA

Ed,Hiem joints are the cats meow.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2

WildmanC120

Well, it looks like a decision was made today.  Grabbed this 60" off Facebook Marketplace.  All the spindles spin too.  I don't think I could go wrong with it.  That's one heavy SOB too. 

IMG_20190322_190853.jpg

Edited by WildmanC120

Ed Kennell

Great price.  Did you get the mule drive?   The 60" decks use a special spring loaded mule drive.

WildmanC120
17 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Great price.  Did you get the mule drive?   The 60" decks use a special spring loaded mule drive.

UGH...no. I didn't know that. 

Will a normal one work since its not going on a 520 anyways?  

WVHillbilly520H
23 hours ago, JAinVA said:

IMAG2072.jpg

IMAG4150.jpg