ClassicTractorProfessor

Two new Horse haulers

ebinmaine

Couple nice rides there Bryce.

Those 92 - 95 OBD-I  F series are a favorite of mine.

2 or 3 years from now I may have to enlist the help of some of the southern folk to find me a rust free solid green example with a 300-6 in it...

I'd love to see more pics and keep us posted on your progress please!!

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

That '88 GMC is most likely throttle body EFI? vs my Q-jet on my '79 454 ,still should be quite simple and easy to work on like mine good luck with both. I do like the "simulators" on the wheels been wanting a set for mine.

IMAG4881.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

Pullstart
43 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

2 or 3 years from now I may have to enlist the help of some of the southern folk to find me a rust free solid green example with a 300-6 in it...

Believe me, it’ll be worth the trip!  

• Like 1

Pullstart

Congrats, Bryce!  I’m sure you’ll be wranglin’ all the horses you can find now!

stevebo

You should have used the GM to tow the FORD home ...lol. I am a fan of GM trucks. Nice pick up for sure. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

squonk
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

That '88 GMC is most likely throttle body EFI? vs my Q-jet on my '79 454 ,still should be quite simple and easy to work on like mine good luck with both. I do like the "simulators" on the wheels been wanting a set for mine.

IMAG4881.jpg

EFI, Sims and cab lights. What's not to like? :banana-jumprope:

• Haha 1

Tractor boy

Nice finds. Does the ford have a powerstroke in it?

WVHillbilly520H
9 hours ago, Professor1990 said:
42 minutes ago, Tractor boy said:

Nice finds. Does the ford have a powerstroke in it?

The F150 has the Eddie Bauer package and is really clean inside and out for a 25 yr old truck. Has the 351 and automatic transmission. 

The old GMC isnt near as nice, but will make a good work truck with the 454 and 4 speed

Daddy Don

You shouldn't have any problems hauling anything you want to with both of them.

ClassicTractorProfessor

Worked on both trucks a little last night. My plan is to focus on the GMC first, as it is going to be my work truck. There are some days where I'm pretty dirty by the time I get off work, and the F150 is too clean inside to be using it for work, it's going to sit in the driveway and only be used if I need to go somewhere out of town. Ordered a new fuel pump and sending unit from NAPA yesterday, was delivered to the shop this morning and just my luck it was the wrong one. Despite my telling the guy 3 times it was the old body style R Series, he still sent me one for an 88 C Series. Then proceeded to tell me that he couldn't find one for my truck. Quick search on AutoZone's website after work and I found the one I needed, should be here in a day or two. Also going to have to replace the clutch master and slave cylinders, hopefully that and a good deep cleaning and she'll be ready to go on the road again.

The Ford turned out to be a bit more than just a fuel pump. Discovered that not only am I not getting fuel, I'm not getting any fire as well. Messed around with it some, and was able to use a jumper wire in place of the fuel pump relay and make both pumps run, so I know they're both good. Also noticed that my check engine light is not functioning, and the overdrive off light on the shifter stays on continuously. Did some research on the computer this evening and all that combined leads me to believe that the EEC is out. Judging by the amount of threads on several different Ford truck forums in reference to these exact symptoms, it must have been a common problem. 

Did not get around to getting any more pics today, had planned on working on them this afternoon, but the Sheriff changed my plans when he came in and arrested one of our hands shortly after lunch and left us shorthanded the rest of the day. Will try to get some tomorrow. 

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

Despite my telling the guy 3 times it was the old body style R Series, he still sent me one for an 88 C Series.

I sold Auto Parts back in the 90s and early 2000s.

That was the bane of my existence on some days.

Such a simple thing to figure out but often required several attempts even with trained techs.

When I worked for the dealer environments it was very different and much easier.

We nearly always had a VIN.

ClassicTractorProfessor
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I sold Auto Parts back in the 90s and early 2000s.

That was the bane of my existence on some days.

Such a simple thing to figure out but often required several attempts even with trained techs.

When I worked for the dealer environments it was very different and much easier.

We nearly always had a VIN.

I run into it almost on a daily basis...most usually on GM trucks with all their split years nonsense. They did it back in the late 80s, again in 99-00, and yet again in 07, seems like anytime I order parts for those year models 9 times out of 10 I get the wrong stuff. There used to be one guy at NAPA who was the only one I would talk to, he always got everything right the first time. 

I think the thing that aggravates me more than anything about their commercial accounts guy now is when I call him to tell him I got the wrong part then he wants to argue and tell me I dont know what I'm working on 

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

As promised here are some more pics of both of the trucks

20190323_164605.jpg

20190323_164609.jpg

20190323_164615.jpg

20190323_164638.jpg

20190323_164650.jpg

20190323_164658.jpg

20190323_164704.jpg

20190323_164712.jpg

20190323_164725.jpg