bottjernat1

Coins and pocket watches

bottjernat1

Does anybody know of a good honest place around northeast indiana that someone could take coins, pocket watches and get them looked at i mainly want to know the history but the value would be nice to of course. I went to a place in fort wayne called fair fields and wasnt impressed with there attitude. I was super excited and just wanted help and some knowledge of what i had. And i know from research i did online what i have but wanted an expert to tell me face to face. Here is an old pocket watch i have i have 2 but this one is the oldest. it still works great. but i dont know much about it!

pocket.PNG

pocket2.PNG

pocket3.PNG

pocket4.PNG

• Like 4

formariz

Unfortunately experts on these old "things" are getting harder to find and like in your experience many are just not helpful if they are not making a buck from helping you. Your best bet is online. Like you mentioned it is nice to actually speak to someone regarding the items. That is a particular hobby that is not so common therefor the scarcity of experts specially in your area.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Vegas, Baby!  I’m sure the Pawn Stars would be glad to make a show out of your stuff!:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

bottjernat1
Just now, pullstart said:

Vegas, Baby!  I’m sure the Pawn Stars would be glad to make a show out of your stuff!:D

funny you say that a guy i work with told me the same thing!! LOL

• Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

As a suggestion try watch maker or repairer. We have a place in Richmond Va that only sells watches , been around since the Civil War, has 3 watch makers on staff . They keep my wind up wrist watches working ( no Batteries )

• Like 1

bc.gold

lot.png

• Like 2

bottjernat1
12 hours ago, bcgold said:

lot.png

thanks for the info!! This is the most i have seen about this watch. pretty cool. Thanks alot. mine still works. its dead on with time keeping!

formariz

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-grand-prix-paris-1900-pocket-watch-question.61958/

There is actually a forum for those watches. Seems that you have to open it up and look at the movements serial # to know everything about it. They were made by individual watch makers and fitted with those cases. Movements are different from watch to watch depending on who made it.Value will also vary depending on the number of jewels in movement. Medals on case is from winning them at the Worlds Fair I believe in 1910.

Edited by formariz

Sarge

Just a little note - things that are relative to Formula One (1) racing have a high value - especially if they are historical and dated pieces. Might want to research into that direction.

Sarge

LengerichKA88

If you find a place, especially a quality place to take it for servicing,please let us know. 

I have this pocket watch that was in my dads jewlery box....I know nothing of it’s history, who’s it was, etc. I took it to McGee and Co here in Indy, and had it serviced. It worked great, for a few months, then it stopped(Yes I kept it wound ). Because of that I’m reluctant to take it back to them. I did some research on it when I first was looking into getting it serviced but don’t remember much about it. 

In our last move the glass got broken, so in addition to regular service it also needs a new glass face. 

3D4DA558-F1B7-4BF7-90CC-91890A0B7518.jpeg

A8E3662E-811C-458C-BE26-B475AD22B1D9.jpeg

BD613EEA-795E-41B8-A2C0-B7191E853A0B.jpeg

Edited by LengerichKA88

LengerichKA88

Found this website as well, might be of some use. 

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/

seemed to be pretty accurate on mine, minus value 

C554724C-D6F5-45B9-9449-DF8A518EEA08.png