Stepney

What's your take on this?

Stepney

Hello, all. Been in a bit of a situation here with one of my other hobbies, old one lunger engines. 
Back in early January, I posted a little Fairbanks Morse engine up for sale. 300 obo. Fellow got in touch with me the next day, that he'd offer 200, and another old engine as partial trade. Said sure, and we met up later that day. Without getting into detail .. the fellow was a bit off to say the least. Anyway, fired the engine up to show it ran, brought said trade engine into the garage, and figured I'd throw this old FM on the truck. He then said he wanted to wait, and he'd being the money down "within a week or so" and come get the engine. Fine, thats no issue. 
So here we are in mid-March. At least every other week I've contacted this guy over this engine, and he either doesn't reply, or gives some vague answer. I had no use for the trade engine so I sent it off to a friend who could use it more then I needed it for. So it's gone. 
At this point I'd have half a mind to just re-post this engine and get it out of my way, as it's previous space is now occupied by a Charger-9:rolleyes:.. 
Here in Maine, I understand there is a law of abandonment applying to sold vehicles, defaulting to the land owner after I believe 30 or 90 days. I'm not sure if it applies to anything else. 
Not really sure what to do at this point. I'd just put it back up for sale and give him back the engine, and sell it to someone else gladly .. but I don't own the engine anymore, as I said. I'm just worried about some sort of backlash. 

So, what would you do in this situation? Never been in a position like this before and rarely have online issues with people, outside of no-shows. But that's typical.. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 7.19.39 PM.png

Edited by Stepney

ebinmaine

My instinct is to wait another month or so.

Lemme call you tomorrow.

Easier to explain my take by voice.

Edited by ebinmaine

SylvanLakeWH

Tough one for sure...

My motto for all sales is simple:

No holds...correct amount of cash money in hand or no deal. 

given the situation I would wait a bit and still reach out like you have...shows good faith...

Good Luck!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Tough one for sure...

My motto for all sales is simple:

No holds...correct amount of cash money in hand or no deal. 

given the situation I would wait a bit and still reach out like you have...shows good faith...

Good Luck!

Agreed

Sparky

Save all your email/phone records/ texts as proof that you did all you could to finalize the sale. Another month or so (assuming he still doesn’t follow thru) I would give up and realist it.

• Like 1

bc.gold

I had a similar situation where I listed a Satoh tractor in the freebies, had all the loose parts sitting beside the tractor and the guy forgot to take the fuel tank, brand new pressure plate, disk and throw out bearing.

That was last summer, I recently emailed the guy giving 60 days notice to pick this stuff up or it's considered abandoned and that it will be going to the landfill's junk pile.

Old John Riley had trucks and equipment parked where ever he could find a free spot, I'll bet when he passed away that his heirs were unable to find all of his hidden treasures. 

LengerichKA88

What I’d do is is remove this thread, and do what you will with it. If a grown man can’t follow through on his word to pay and pick up, then you’re not beholden to him for anything 🤷🏻‍♂️.Especially after several weeks.  That’s just me. 

Thats my major complaint about buying from individuals: they treat you like you should be thankful for the opportunity to give them money. Either that or they expect the moon for the price of a newspaper. 

Going the polite route, I’d send him a message (that ways there’s a record of it) saying that from this date, at this time(I usually use noon as a start and stop time for notices), he has 24/36/48/72/96 hours to come and get them or they’re considered abandoned. Then cease all communication unless answering a direct question from him concerning arrangements. 

I’ve noticed that listing “days” gives people a false sense of more time, when you list time frames in “hours” they tend to move a little quicker. 

List the original date of the agreement, with the agreed upon price. All pertinent information needs to find its way into that notice, that way that document supports all the others and your story.