Pullstart

Maple Syrup days

Pullstart
1 minute ago, formariz said:

This is another great example of how great of a site this is. Besides tractors so many here have a diverse set of interests and skills that many of us have never been exposed to such as in my case with this activity. I have been watching this with great interest . Although I had an idea of it I had never really seen how its done. It will definitely give me a whole new appreciation for it as I eat my pancakes. I see also that you make it a total family activity which is just great. So many things we use and consume and most have no idea on what had to happen for that to occur. Also that with knowledge of the process any one can actually do those things and not only get great enjoyment out of it but also continue a tradition that will otherwise disappear one day. Thank you for posting it.

After the first night of the Big Show gathering last year, I had a great conversation with @Racinbob around the dining room table at the hotel.  I mentioned that we are all here just because of one common interest.  That doesn’t mean we only have to chat about tractors :handgestures-thumbupright:  

As far as syrup, or family in general goes, we try to make everything a learning experience.  It is more fun for the whole family if we involve the whole family.  Jada doesn’t like syrup, but it”s her favorite time of year.  She gets all giddy like it's Christmas morning in March!

• Excellent 3

Pullstart
25 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Just watched that wood splitting video.   I'm still breathing hard.  Think I better stick with my Huskee 22 Ton.

P3130123.JPG.e02ea2ff95fa71f4f2abd63e0f1c3d97.JPG

I can’t tell you why Ed, but there’s something soothing about swinging axe to me.  I’ve filled the firebox 3 times so far today, and staying ahead on splitting too.

2168B9A8-4E85-439D-AF64-68AC32D40483.jpeg

• Like 1

Darb1964

Brings back memories for me, can't do it anymore s wood or syrup because of health but it was fun. Thanks for the post , only been a member a short time, really enjoying this forum, nice not all about are red tractor passion, but them tractors always seem to a big part of everything.

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, Darb1964 said:

Brings back memories for me, can't do it anymore s wood or syrup because of health but it was fun. Thanks for the post , only been a member a short time, really enjoying this forum, nice not all about are red tractor passion, but them tractors always seem to a big part of everything.

If I haven’t said hi yet, :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:!!!  I’m Kevin and I fell into this addiction face first back in 2013 when I bought a cool looking “mower” on CL from a fellow member here.

5F5D1EC5-64D1-45FB-B6CA-B8B14C730FAB.jpeg

ECDD81BB-0EF1-4324-84BA-95E7A438E682.jpeg

17AEA265-6BAC-431E-8D6B-7CE6A517DC8B.jpeg

4D810D71-B7A2-4153-B21F-33D6AB5C99D3.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart

It helps to have a good rock handy to hone your edge once in a while.

B66C6C51-9DE1-43C8-AEFF-DAC462757151.jpeg

901B371E-8DCB-4213-91BE-89D6123A3B1B.jpeg

Ed Kennell
19 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I can’t tell you why Ed, but there’s something soothing about swinging axe to me.  

I understand Kevin.  I've been heating my house with wood for 50 years and for the first 40 years I used a mall and wedges.    If my cardiologist caught me swinging a mall today, he would probably refuse to ever see me again.    Keep swingin while you can young man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Darb1964

I have been in wheel horse utopia from the first time I Sat on seat in 1989 520_h can't remember if I knew of the brand before that but started comparing  and fell for red. I worked it seemed like from that day until health problems put me in early retirement and I found this sight never took the time for such things but glad I have now..

Thanks for the welcome.

Darryl

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, formariz said:

This is another great example of how great of a site this is. Besides tractors so many here have a diverse set of interests and skills

Well said. I like your train of thought.

Not just any old website you can go onto and meet friends just because of an old tractor.

2 hours ago, formariz said:

So many things we use and consume and most have no idea on what had to happen for that to occur.

Trina and I were just talking about that the other night. You've seen my other thread where we are considering getting chickens.

It's amazing to both of us how many people are in the world that would never even put into the possibility of consideration to kill something so mundane as a mosquito but they'll go to the grocery store and buy all the meat they can get their hands on.

One of the things that I like about this particular site is that the variability and diversity of the people here and all of the experiences that we have all had can all be shared and shared alike and we can learn so much.

It has definitely been a great help to Trina and I becoming more and more self-sufficient.

3 hours ago, pullstart said:

It’s a rough life, but someone’s gotta live it!

BD31CE01-0B16-4589-A537-23F90CBE58BC.jpeg

Must be tough Kev. Must be tough.....

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Must be tough Kev. Must be tough.....

Hardest part, this goat beagle keeps giving me company! :ROTF:

AC31281F-507F-4BE1-B54C-94EC143E499B.jpeg

C38F123F-2630-459C-A98E-5F45AC7A3D18.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

My other furry buddies came out to say hi.  

13EF356D-A258-46E8-A135-95E5E56F70FB.jpeg

87921D38-A676-4DAA-8B54-585557CCCD40.jpeg

F4D7168F-4758-44A3-AF0D-A5A5934BCE38.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Redneck is a matter of perspective, I think.  Duct tape, wooden wedges and a bath fan.... makes for a blower improvement!

21AF86C9-6DFC-4262-BDA6-B8DD8ACDEF3A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

My bedroom window for the night.   My buddy’s family has the flu, so I’m dying solo.  I get up every hour or so to add sap and wood.

8C22A01F-8EED-4AB2-95A8-33222EA9C2E7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

I’m dying solo

????

Pullstart
31 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

????

Gotta love auto correct...

flying solo.  :ROTF:  

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Gotta love auto correct...

flying solo.  :ROTF:  

Bah hahahahaha

Okay. Good.

I was hoping there was not some kind of horrific news you were trying to deal with at 3 in the morning or whatever.

I hadn't heard yet that the LA Times or NPR was reporting about the production of maple syrup the being nearly instantly fatal but you never know.

Awesome job on that evaporator! This has been a great thread to follow...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

Thanks, We already have bigger and better in the works!  This is actually undersized for the amount of sap we’ve collected this year, and it doesn’t quite flow as well as I had planned either.  

And believe it it or not, I have to watch my 9 month old neice today... so time to get cleaned up for “work”

• Like 2

Pullstart

Breakfast of (maple syrup) champions!  Cherry berry pie, ala mode with my coffee!

0647D110-2796-4148-9C50-9F64737848F8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Started at 9 am yesterday!   The smaller fan moved the most air.

BA887A65-A625-41CB-A9B6-DAED1EDB6C66.jpeg

Pullstart

Well, we ended up just shy of 4 gallons last night, I believe bringing our total to 9.25 gallons for the year.  We split the final product fairly evenly and gave some to my father inlaw for his efforts helping with the pan.  The season still is not over, but we have enough to last us quite a while for sure!  Plans for next year include reverse osmosis to pull up to 7/8 of the water content out of the sap before boiling and an indoor brick arch evaporator for less wood consumption and time efforts.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

The bigger producers around my area use reverse osmosis as well. Definitely the way to go.

Great to hear you have plans for next year as well. Keep us posted!

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

Thanks for taking us along, quite a production and a good time in the woods

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead
On 28. März 2019 at 1:11 PM, pullstart said:

Well, we ended up just shy of 4 gallons last night, I believe bringing our total to 9.25 gallons for the year.  We split the final product fairly evenly and gave some to my father inlaw for his efforts helping with the pan.  The season still is not over, but we have enough to last us quite a while for sure!  Plans for next year include reverse osmosis to pull up to 7/8 of the water content out of the sap before boiling and an indoor brick arch evaporator for less wood consumption and time efforts.

Does reverse osmosis not changing the Aroma? 

I have heard something from a Fellow, who's try same with birch sap.

send your Family and your Fellas Family best wishes to be healty quick again.

*silent mode on* 

I know, it sounds maybe cruel, but your "diyng allone"😂 Saves you maybe for the Flu....

*silent mode off*

my Dad told me a real Redneck didn't get the Flu anytime, but if so we're gonna dying...😂😎

keep your health up and best Wishes over the great pond to all fella's here in the Thread.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

keep your health up and best Wishes over the great pond to all fella's here in the Thread.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

:party:

Thank you sir.

You as well.

• Thanks 2

JCM

Did not get a chance to go to Maine maple sunday in Maine last weekend, daughter was up from Mass for an overnight stay,headed up to Newfield Maine Saturday morning, left N .Berwick Me @ 7.45am arrived in Newfield @ 8.30 am no one there but the owners,they don't open till 9.00 they said come on in, bought enough for 2 years and missed all the crowds from last weekend. Hilltop Boilers Elm Street Newfield Maine, great folks!       PS try the Maple Whoopie Pies, out of this world .

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1