Konrad

First Service of my C-120 Kohler Engine

Konrad

This little box of goodies turned up from my Kohler dealer here in the UK today. So, I'll be undertaking my first service of my C-120s K301 engine this weekend.

Its not been running especially well since we brought it, and I'm hoping that a new set of points/condenser, spark plug and air filters will have it running smoothly.

I don't have a timing light - will I be able to set the timing sufficiently through the use of feeler gauges and a multi-meter? Any thoughts and guidance welcomed :-)

20190307_231440.jpg.cbf1858edcd47003145d4b12eb9aa9e2.jpg

953 nut

:WRS:

The most effective method of setting the timing is Static timing. If you don't have a meter a test light attached to the battery and your points works well.

Kohler static_timing (1).pdf

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
49 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

The most effective method of setting the timing is Static timing. If you don't have a meter a test light attached to the battery and your points works well.

Kohler static_timing (1).pdf

Interesting read, Richard!  Thanks!

roadapples

I'd do new fuel line and filter also. Cheap insurance....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, roadapples said:

I'd do new fuel line and filter also. Cheap insurance....

I'll second that.

Absolutely a part of every tune up, especially if ethanol is in your tractor.

I've switched to a see through line as well.

peter lena

in addition to feed back above, your service should not , be directed by time or hours. if its acting up or running badly, get after it. i would also apply that to oil changes and gear oil and lube, feed back from this site and general info will reflect the interest that we have for these tractors , good luck , Pete 

Konrad

I've started by cleaning up the connections on the coil, and replaced the condenser.

I then moved on to the points...

They look quite new and in good condition (and are genuine Kohler), so decided to leave them at this stage, and move on to checking/setting the timing.

However, I've had real difficulty in locating the timing mark on the flywheel through the aperture. The engine has a starter motor, so the flywheel is 'toothed'. There would appear to be a light build-up of surface rust in the smooth region of the flywheel to the left of the teeth  - any suggestions as to how I can clean this up in situ so that tha 'S' mark becomes visible?

• Like 1

953 nut
42 minutes ago, Konrad said:

any suggestions as to how I can clean this up in situ so that tha 'S' mark becomes visible?

Remove the flywheel cover tins. While it is off take a small bottle brush an clean all the crud out of the cooling fins. It should be done anyway. Once you find the marks give the area a light coat of light colored spray paint and use a magic marker to mark the "S" line so it is easy to find.

• Like 1

Konrad

@953 nut - thanks for the advice. I was hoping that there might be someway to clean it up without removing the covers

• Like 1