ebinmaine

How's your weather today? Spring isn't here in Maine yet. :-)

Sarge

Yesterday was definitely a little, uh, off.

Ended up with 8" of really wet, heavy snow.

1379183767_20190414_1031561.jpg.8b6d98e42cadae7c621d288509669447.jpg

That picture was before noon, it didn't really quit until almost 4:30 in the afternoon. Roads were pretty crappy - most of the plows have been taken off and no real salt left anyway after all the ice this year. Ran some errands to a nearby town in the 4Runner - 3" of slush on the highway that was fun to navigate. Yeah, middle of April - right. To think I just mowed a few days earlier in a short-sleeved shirt...

Sarge

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Stormin

Spring has sprung.

P1020772.JPG.46f84bc667a83b61dab2a9242125e537.JPG

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Nice pic Norm!

Stormin

Sitting on 8 eggs Eric. Should be hatching soon. Remains to be seen how many chicks will survive the crows, magpies and cats. There's a family of ducks as well. 4 ducklings. There was 6 to start with. 

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Sitting on 8 eggs Eric. Should be hatching soon. Remains to be seen how many chicks will survive the crows, magpies and cats. There's a family of ducks as well. 4 ducklings. There was 6 to start with. 

Aah yes. First rule of nature. Make more than you need. 2 to equal the parents, 3 to increase the count.

Weather has still being a bit challenging here. Seems as though we finally escaped old man winter but we are in for a wet next 10 days.

Hopefully we'll get a little break here and there so we can get outside and get some stuff done.

Sarge

The wildlife around here is totally confused - I think some of the Robins actually left or died in that freak snowstorm from the extreme cold and wind. Predicted to hit the high 70's Sunday on Easter - let's hope for once they are correct and it doesn't do something stupid again, like snow. I have mowed the yard once two days before that last storm, need to go out and do it again but it's in the low 50's with the winds knocking on 40mph, again.

Sarge

The Tuul Crib

What’s  really strange here is the Robbins don’t leave and it can down right cold!

our last blast of winter is called black berry 

winter but now I think we hit nuclear 

winter!! 45 today here in Nashville!!

Stormin

Robins are permanent residents here.

Today has been a lovely Good Friday for a change. Temp 19C 68F with a gentle breeze. T shirt weather.

Forecast is for more of the same up to Thursday when it's to cool down a bit.

Sarge

Pretty frosty morning here, literally - 32*F with a 24*F wind chill.

Maybe it will stunt the grass a bit and slow it down, lol.

Sarge

ebinmaine

Warm here ... 61 at sunrise.

Supposed to be raining most of the day.

We're hoping for a few breaks so we can finally get out in the forest.

Stormin

22c here today. Mowed the green and verges this afternoon. By the time I'd finished the cut grass was like fine hay. Coolish now with a slight mist rising from the fields now.

Stormin

More signs of spring.

Mum and her four surviving ducklings. There was six but crows, magpies or cats accounted for two.

P1020774.JPG.a28668fd78fa9945e54ed2c193d01178.JPG

The proud dad/dads. The duck and the two drakes have been returning for a few years now. Always just the three.

P1020775.JPG.80fa8729396b4c537469000a319c4e9e.JPG

These fine bullocks arrived in the field opposite on Wednesday.

P1020776.JPG.f68c49d56e1c3e7856b224c7b7460f65.JPG

Edited by Stormin
  • Heart 1

Stormin

Been a really warm day. 70f 20c. Light breeze keeping things pleasant.   Would have been nice being a duck.

Now you see me.

P1020784.JPG.820c93c02c9a89c8b7d04f4fd6d78cd2.JPG

Now you don't.

P1020785.JPG.30dade7feb5351ebe8f67fb6b546bad5.JPG

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

Well we ended up being able to get out in the forest yesterday for a little while.

Finally.

Still some patches of ice and snow here and there but nowhere that impedes travel with a carefully driven tractor.

Trina and I are really looking forward to being able to get some firewood pulled in in the next few weeks.

• Like 2

Stormin

Overcast, cool and windy. Some showers forecast and maybe some thunder as well, though nothing yet.

Moorhen was showing some activity yesterday. Thought maybe the chicks were hatching. This morning the nest was empty and no sign of any chicks or egg shells. I'll lay odds on a crow that's been knocking about has gone with them. :disgust:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

60-70 F highs forecast for SC Pa.  all week.      I planted tomatoes, peppers, and onions this morning.

• Like 1

Darb1964

Windy and chilly in Peru Ma. Today 49 now. I hope to plant potatoes, peas, chard, maybe carrots I'm a little behind but the ground has been tillible for about a week.The other frost sensitive plants i wait till June first of there about, forecast depending, we have had frost in early June some years. I have had better results if I can make myself wait cold sensitive plants get set back if it's to cool. Harvest a little later but larger.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Well we haven't had a frost for a few days so I guess that's an excellent sign. We've had some nights around 35 or 40. Days have been anywhere between 45 and high 50s. Cloudy today. Supposed to be sunny tomorrow. That'll be nice. We've been getting an awful lot of Seattle and London like weather here.

Talking about birds, we do feed the birds in our yard and of course our remote location helps to draw quite a few different types of wood and forest birds in. Last night for a few hours towards the evening there was a Cooper's hawk flying around and he was Within maybe 30 or 50 feet of me and he missed a morning dove. That was the last time I saw him.

We live about halfway up a ridge and there are quite often Birds of Prey following the air currents. River in the bottom so we see bald eagles sometimes. Many other different types of hawks.

we have a nesting family of red-shouldered hawks on the Mountainside somewhere but I've never found the nest. Last couple days they started showing up again.

• Like 1

Stormin

Had a bit, to much at times, of everything. Wind, rain, thunder, lightening, hail and some sun thrown in for good measure..

• Like 2

Lee1977

Had to make a trip to the big city today. Heard on the news that Charlotte is now the biggest city between New York and Atlanta. Had to go all the way across to the south side. I just can't see why anyone would want to live there.

Mostly sun and clouds a few small sprinkles high around 80.  Picture from the side yard when I got back.

SAM-0969.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
38 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

. I just can't see why anyone would want to live...

Anywhere near ANY city.

Ummah country boy.

I work in Portland ME. There 5 days a week.

It really is a great city.

But it's a city.

• Like 2

Stormin
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Anywhere near ANY city.

Ummah country boy.

Ditto! :thumbs:

I'm country born and bred.

Strong in arm and weak in head.

Sun's out but some rain on it's way.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

At 6'-1"+ and 260 I'm a little larger than many around me.

It's a running joke with Trina and our friends and family and folks I work with.

"I pick things uppan put dem dowwn."

Also:

Being male I profess cranial vacancy as often as I can get away with it.

:ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

Dateline SE Michigan...4” snow forecast for Saturday night and Sunday!!! Crocus and daffodils are gonna have cold noses...

:banana-skier:

Glad my front blade is still mounted!!!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Dateline SE Michigan...4” snow forecast for Saturday night and Sunday!!! Crocus and daffodils are gonna have cold noses...

:banana-skier:

Glad my front blade is still mounted!!!

Therein lies the logic of having one horse for every implement.

Yes, we all know that most of them are very easy to swap around.

No, we do not need to tell anybody.

• Like 1