MIGHTYMO

Engine series

MIGHTYMO

Ok everyone. Ive been reading a few different posts and Ive noticed people talking about different engines. How can you tell what motor it is? Also, I have a Kohler Magnum 14, what series is that?

The Tuul Crib
7 minutes ago, MIGHTYMO said:

Ok everyone. Ive been reading a few different posts and Ive noticed people talking about different engines. How can you tell what motor it is? Also, I have a Kohler Magnum 14, what series is that?

That would be the m or magnum series. 

I have that same motor and is a great motor! 

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

:wwp: please !!

oliver2-44

The older Kohlers 1950's to roughly late 80's are referred to as K Series ie. K301 is a 12hp. K321 14hp

But the K-17 is different. The K-17 is a single cylinder 17hp. The 1st one had a lubrication design issue when operating on a slope. A redesigned K-17 Series II has an improved engine lube oil system. So now the early model is refered to as a Series I and the later a series II. 

Then the M Magnum like you have uses the same numbering ie. M301 is a 12hp

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

The older Kohlers 1950's to roughly late 80's are referred to as K Series ie. K301 is a 12hp. K321 14hp

But the K-17 is different. The K-17 is a single cylinder 17hp. The 1st one had a lubrication design issue when operating on a slope. A redesigned K-17 Series II has an improved engine lube oil system. So now the early model is refered to as a Series I and the later a series II. 

Then the M Magnum like you have uses the same numbering ie. M301 is a 12hp

I think you meant to say KT-17  it was a twin cylinder 17 hp.  KT-17 Series II resolved the lubrication issues.   They became the Magnum 18 (same engine different ignition system) and somehow gained a horsepower....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

Thanks @pfrederi I appreciate the correction.

• Like 1

iaintavinit

The older KT engines are excellent engines if taken care of. Series II is the best (with the full pressure lubrication system like the magnum) but I've seen series I engines with thousands of hours on them. All depends how they were used. I prefer the older Kohler engines with the points and coil. They last absolutely forever!

• Like 1

953 nut
On 3/4/2019 at 11:18 AM, oliver2-44 said:

K-17 is different. The K-17 is a single cylinder 17hp.

There was an 18 HP single cylinder with overhead valves and a splash lubrication system, K-361. They were not used in :wh:.

Image result for kohler single cylinder 18 hp

MIGHTYMO

So @oliver2-44, if I understood you correctly, my Magnum 14 would be an M321? (Tractor and motor are from 1996 btw)

oliver2-44

Yes, @MIGHTYMO Kohler M321 is correct.

MIGHTYMO

Thanks, @oliver2-44