ebinmaine

What modern "convenience" do you really like?

ebinmaine

Think about the things you do and use every day and think about what you would have done to accomplish that task say 40, or 50 years ago.

Or maybe something that had NO possibility or common knowledge of existence then.

I'll start with vitamins that are basically gummies and are delicious... I'm fundamentally a 5 year old. Candy is yummy. When I was a kid in the 70's I remember taking vitamins that were like bitter Horse pills.

And my impact driver. I have only had one for 3 years or so and I couldn't imagine doing SOOOO many of the things Trina and I have built or repaired without it now.

• Like 3

rjg854

Obviously the cell phone.  It has so many uses besides just a form of communication.  Pretty much anymore they are almost a necessity.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Harnessing energy. Electrical, mechanical etc. Everything we now “do” is assisted or done by something we created to harness and use energy better or more efficiently...

Think electricity, engines, motors, all tools etc...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 4

953 nut

Staying within the parameters set forth (didn't exist fifty years ago) I guess I would have to say the internet comes to mind. 

1 hour ago, rjg854 said:

Obviously the cell phone.

:confusion-confused:      Not too sure about Randy's answer of the cell phone, it is as much of a pain in the @$$ as it is a convenience.      :ychain:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

AMC RULES

:dunno: The plastic islands floating in our oceans are nice. 

• Excellent 1
  • Sad 4

Reel Mower Freak

The one thing that makes my life so much easier is......YouTube.  There is so much information there that was never accessible before. Whether it’s an engine rebuild, valve adjustment, dishwasher repair, you name it, somebody has taken the time to film and explain the procedure. Some aren’t as good as others but they all teach you something. Game changer in my opinion. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

JoeM

I like reliable electricity. What a great value.

In the hand tool area, my battery powered tools.

I am with 953 on the cell phone. I suppose I could do without.....

Forgot about this one, seen this on CL. Roomba for the lawn. says will cut an acre.

AutoMower1.jpg.f6eed7a143735bab343716e7d3382bb3.jpg

Edited by OILUJ52
  • Like 3

midpack

My Dad ran a small auto repair/sale business for many years. now I know cars were simpler back then (he's been gone for over 30 years, still miss him every day...) 

I can't help but marvel how he could just "do" whatever you could imagine without the resources (internet, cell phone) that we take for granted today

• Like 4
  • Heart 1

dclarke

Garage door openers. I can remember seeing my first one at my uncle's house, couldn't believe he could open the door on his detached garage from inside his house. 

Power steering. Another thing we use every day and don't even think about. 

Air conditioning. 

• Like 6

buckrancher

automatic bread slicer

• Like 7

squonk

Electronic fuel injection.  (When it works! ) :)  As a mechanic who fought with, hand chokes, choke stoves, heat riser valves,choke pull offs,electric chokes, fast idle cams, :banana-wrench: I love going out on a cold day and being able to turn the key and VROOM! Walk away and not come back to a loping( if still running) or screaming truck. Spring and fall were the worst. Adjustments made in the spring now we're no good in the fall. I had a binder of a foot thick with technical bulletins trying to get a simple Chrysler tootally two 4 banger to run smoothly at partial choke. :techie-studyingbrown: And let's not forget the famous Mitsubishi 2.6 Caravans with the heat shield you took off in the fall to stop carb icing and put on to prevent carb boiling in the spring.

Remote start kits with their 25 relays would not be a thing without EFI! :notworthy:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Being in the over 70 club I vote for computers , the internet , air nailers , portable compressors . By the way don't have a cell phone, don't want one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
4 hours ago, OILUJ52 said:

. Roomba for the lawn. says will cut an acre.

We had this discussion Julio... where's the seat time with that?? :)

• Haha 4

squonk
49 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Being in the over 70 club I vote for computers , the internet , air nailers , portable compressors . By the way don't have a cell phone, don't want one.

If you had a cell phone Waldo, you could find out where you are! " Hello, where am I" " I don't know where I am, how am I supposed to tell you how to get here!" :lol:

• Haha 4

roadapples
4 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:dunno: The plastic islands floating in our oceans are nice. 

They could put deposit on a lot of that stuff like they did bottles when we were kids. Make it high enough to make it worth while...

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: ...and give humans the job back of sorting the stuff.  

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Gotta be the TV remote.  :occasion-xmas:  Can you imagine getting up every time to change the channel...especially with 140+ channels??  Also, just imagine how many commercials you would be stuck watching because it would be too much trouble to surf.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??
1 minute ago, stevasaurus said:

Gotta be the TV remote.

Here I woulda thought you woulda said having a modern kitchen Dino... :occasion-xmas:

cschannuth

What I thought was the biggest waste ever turned out to be one of my favorites. The back up camera on my truck. Now when I’m in my older truck I can barely back up without the camera. Sounds silly but it really spoils a fella. 

• Like 1

WHX??

Agreed Craig, I had to get a truck with a camera as yelling at the Missus WHICH WAY to drop the hitch on the ball almost ended in divorce! New truck was the least expensive of that route.  :lol:

Edited by WHX22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

stevasaurus

@OILUJ52  I remember those days.  Actually, you know people had kids to help them as they got old...ie...help on the farm, help around the yard, somebody to yell at, etc.  When you think of it, remotes may have replaced children.  I know the younger generation is not getting married, not having kids and populations are dropping.  If it wasn't for fermentation, civilization as we know it may be in jeopardy.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Reel Mower Freak

I have yet to find a remote that will grab me a beer. Kids need to stay around for a while longer. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

rjg854

Sporks :teasing-tease:

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1