austin joe

1976 C-160

austin joe

I have a C-160 that starts and runs anywhere from 20 to 60 minutes then dies and shows no spark. After sitting for 20 minutes will start and run again the mechanic thinks it  is the ignition coil.  I have always thought they either work or don't and are not intermittent.  Any ideas on this or where to find a replacement coil?   

pfrederi
11 minutes ago, austin joe said:

I have a C-160 that starts and runs anywhere from 20 to 60 minutes then dies and shows no spark. After sitting for 20 minutes will start and run again the mechanic thinks it  is the ignition coil.  I have always thought they either work or don't and are not intermittent.  Any ideas on this or where to find a replacement coil?   

See also my response to your other  post

Heat can affect coils and the stator windings that power the coil. 

There are some diagnostics you can run try them hot and cold see page 45-46  The basic test is unfortunately replace with  known good coil and see if the problem resolves.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?q=cast&type=downloads_file&nodes=15

• Like 2

austin joe

Thank you on your other post you mentioned someone who makes these for less is there a way to contact them? 

pfrederi
2 minutes ago, austin joe said:

Thank you on your other post you mentioned someone who makes these for less is there a way to contact them? 

Came up on an ebay search for your part #

wildman

Sent you a PM with info on coil

• Like 2

pfrederi
7 minutes ago, wildman said:

Sent you a PM with info on coil

Have you used one of his devices.  i am interested in getting one as I have two techies that use them and it is only a matter of time before I need one.

daveoman1966

This comment deleted...my bad.   

Edited by daveoman1966
my bad

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

Is there a condensor next to the coil...  Old condensors break down after years and years...spend $6 bux for a news one.  

Of course, could be the coil.  I ahve a good used one if wanted...$25.  

Dave there is no condenser this is the infamous Tecumseh Solid state ignition system  if you have a working used one it is worth a lot more than $25

daveoman1966
17 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Dave there is no condenser this is the infamous Tecumseh Solid state ignition system  if you have a working used one it is worth a lot more than $25

MY BAD.... I was thinking a coil for a Kohler....  I'll delete my reply.

wildman
45 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Have you used one of his devices.  i am interested in getting one as I have two techies that use them and it is only a matter of time before I need one.

I have not but says he uses automotive components that are available

wildman

If i needed one i wouldn't be afraid to try one of them from overnight solutions. 

austin joe

I contacted overnight and they are sending the instructions to see if it will work. I will post the results.  

Thanks to all who have responded. 

roadapples

Log on to.  brokndwn64@gmail.com

Or call Mike Brooks 585-243-7765

@pfrederi

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 1

seven

Check your battery and clean the points first 

chip61

I have one of the kits from Overnight on my HH120-easy to install and works well. I used a toggle switch for battery power instead of getting a new ignition switch

austin joe

First I would like to thank everyone for the advice and suggestions.  After talking to Overnight Solutions and Jacks Small Engine Repair it seems the ignition coil on this "lasts forever".  Their suggestion it was in the ignition switch or wiring.  So we put a new switch in and replaced any connection plugs and wrapped wires in electrical tape and made sure no wires were touching the engine.  This is a working tractor I use to move feed, fence panels and manure with on a ten acre small farm.  I went out today and did all of that and drove about 1-1.5 hours and ran perfectly. Previously it would run 15 minutes at most. So long story short success I would not have been able to get this done without this forum.  I would not hesitate to use Overnight for a replacement or Jack's for a used one if needed both are very knowledgeable . Below is a picture of the old girl after a workout I taped the wires afterward just for insurance. wheel.jpg.d7e41fa314b0581b68a35516ea71f62c.jpg

• Excellent 1