BOB ELLISON

C160 reproductive seat

Pullstart

A laser shop, or someone with a Turret Press I believe would be your best bet for “per sheet” orders.

BOB ELLISON

update.

I found a local fabrication  shop that can do the sheet metal and I'm going to have 20 seat and backs made. He will give me a ballpark figure on how much it will cost per seat next week. I have no idea what he'll charge for each but if it's to much. It'll be kits only.

I'll post when I have more info.

• Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

BOB ELLISON

Update

I'm trying to pick up the pace now that the weather has improved. I'm just now improving on the month long sickness and all the antibiotics I'm on.

I'm working on the seat trying to get the lines made from the fixture to impress the design.

Like I said before this seat is very work intense. 

I had a lot of mesurments to make and I had to make a jig to bend and hold  the steel so I could weld it.

I think I finely got it as close as I can after 2 days . The problem with trying to weld small pieces of steel is trying to keep it flat and flush. Thus I got these welding magnets  (love harbor freight ) to hold them in place. I'll start cutting fabric and sewing tomorrow on the seat making patterns to see how they will fit.

Seat1.jpg

Seat2.jpg

Seat3.jpg

Seat4.jpg

Seat5.jpg

Seat6.jpg

Seat7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

953 nut
9 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I had to make a jig to bend and hold  the steel so I could weld it.

:text-yeahthat:                A proper fixture and the right tools are worth their weight in gold!                :text-coolphotos:

• Excellent 1

rjg854

Nice work Bob, the initial set up has got to be the most difficult part.  It seems as tho you're making progress :eusa-clap:

I hope you're feeling better, I think the warmer weather is making all of us feel a lot better:ychain:

• Like 1

buckrancher

looking good Bob I would definitely buy a set 

brian

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

This will be the last update until I get one completed. And I have to find out about the metal backing plates and  I still have to order more foam and vinyl . I'll post when I get one done . I tried the new metal frame I made and it works really well. I just have to get the heat,pressure and time required to get a good impression. I think it came out nice so I did 2 seats to compare each other and both were the same. It's just sitting on the foam but I think it will be very nice once it pulled tight on the metal.

20190422_163845.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

19richie66

Looks great Bob. Definitely have a “certified “ restoration part there!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

Every bit as good as the original! 

Other than being new, I see no difference.  You're doing a wonderful job on this.  And what you're doing for the hobby is fantastic :text-bravo:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

I'm so looking forward to these !!

• Like 1

dells68

Put me on the list!  Put me on the list!  Please, please, please!  Seriously, very nice and I’d love to have one too!

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

Well I run into a big problem with the metal plates for the seat and back. The fabrication shop I was having make the sets of metal plates wants $200.00 per set.

So unless I find someone with metal skills and wants to make these.i can only make 8 sets then I'm done. @WHX22

• Sad 1

rjg854

What is considered a set,  Bob?

Just the seat and the back? 

Or are there so many seats and backs, in a set?

Super-C 4 me
23 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Well I run into a big problem with the metal plates for the seat and back. The fabrication shop I was having make the sets of metal plates wants $200.00 per set.

So unless I find someone with metal skills and wants to make these.i can only make 8 sets then I'm done. @WHX22

Bob

your metal guy wants $200 for one backrest(just the metal) and one seat bottom( just the metal) ?

is that correct?

Brian

BOB ELLISON
55 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

What is considered a set,  Bob?

Just the seat and the back? 

Or are there so many seats and backs, in a set?

Yes 1 metal back plate and 1 galvanized seat plate. 

20190408_204214.jpg

20190504_213802.jpg

• Sad 1

BOB ELLISON
51 minutes ago, bmiller0457 said:

Bob

your metal guy wants $200 for one backrest(just the metal) and one seat bottom( just the metal) ?

is that correct?

Brian

Yes Brian

• Sad 1

WHX??

Yeah that's nuts Bob tell him to pack sand. I'm thinkin if I find a hobbyist  with a plasma table we could have them cut out for peanuts. Brian your fab dude doesn't have one by chance? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

Wow that seems way out of line 

WHX??

Forgot to ask Bob what guage it that metal 14, 12?

BOB ELLISON
1 hour ago, WHX22 said:

Forgot to ask Bob what guage it that metal 14, 12?

The back metal is .065 or I think 16 gage. The seat is galvanized. .035

20180728_201712.jpg

20180728_201702.jpg

• Like 1

Super-C 4 me
10 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Yes Brian

Bob

i use a guy out my way for all my metal work. I have the parts you are looking to make. I’ll bring mine down to him. And get a quote. I’m sure it won’t be $200 a set.

WHx22 knows his work, I had a part made for him.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

wallfish

There's actually quite a bit work going on with those pans. Curved corners, slots, holes, stamped circles, bending, welding nuts on.

My son-in-law's brother owns a sheet metal shop. They do high end metal roofing so I'm not sure if he can easily do the curved corners or not but I can certainly ask.

Do you have full dimensions of the pieces?

• Like 1

Super-C 4 me
16 minutes ago, wallfish said:

There's actually quite a bit work going on with those pans. Curved corners, slots, holes, stamped circles, bending, welding nuts on.

My son-in-law's brother owns a sheet metal shop. They do high end metal roofing so I'm not sure if he can easily do the curved corners or not but I can certainly ask.

Do you have full dimensions of the pieces?

@wallfish

I use Tim Hamilton out of Auburn, MA

@Crazywheelhorseman told me you know of him.

wallfish

Yeah, that's the guy that advertises for reproduction Panzer parts. I don't know him personally and have never had him do anything but I have talked to him on the phone about the possibility of doing some belt guards. I can tell from our conversations he knows what he's doing and you're right, he may be a good source to contact about this.

• Like 2