Cetan08

Simplicity Walk behind model L

Cetan08

A few weeks ago I picked up this walk behind for 75 bucks. I have always wanted one and knew that I would never find a WH model that I could afford. Originally this machine had a Briggs model N engine on it but at some point it was swapped out with a Wisconsin BKN 7 horse. I plan on finding an N to go back on it but will play around with it as is.

Long story short it sat in the garage for the past few weeks because I don't have heat in it. Went out today and found that the magneto was putting out great spark. Pulled the tank, carb. and settlement bowl and they were all clean. The oil bath air cleaner had water in it so cleaned it up and put clean oil in.

It fired up and runs perfect on the third pull. The machine came with a snow blade so I will try to make a plow that will work on it. I did find out that it is a very early 1948.

IMG_20190214_121541789_HDR.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

Ed Kennell

Maybe John Mathews @shallowwatersailor will check in.    John is the RS expert on Bee-Hinds.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

gwest_ca

I think you will find the 1948 model was a D and in 1949 and 1950 it was a model L. Do you have a manual?

Garry

WHNJ701

well bought for 75, the bkn alone is worth more

Cetan08
20 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

I think you will find the 1948 model was a D and in 1949 and 1950 it was a model L. Do you have a manual?

Garry

Don't have a manual and you are correct that it is a very early 1949 based on the serial number. 42889 is what the tag reads.

Cetan08
19 hours ago, jabelman said:

well bought for 75, the bkn alone is worth more

I got lucky because one fellow I spoke with wanted it just for the motor.

shallowwatersailor

That does look like a Model L to me, though it could be a Montgomery Ward Chor Trac as well. Simplicitys were painted orange and MW were red. It looks like it has been repainted so tough to tell unless there is a spot with the original paint. The plow doesn't look like a Simplicity plow.

Here is the Model L that I bought from Ed with a red MW blade. I actually used it for the first time this year for moving snow, although I changed the engine to a Predator to make it easier to use. The area that i now clear is a lot less than what I used to do. The 30" blade is great for the walkway.

0115191454b.jpg.87473bb247da6c91ccf8db895894f3a0.jpg

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1