WHNJ701

working on the 57 super ram again

WHX??

K160 Jabel? Sure it's not a 161? No matter a good non WH to have in yer herd. 

Not to steal your thread guy but I haunt GTalk the same as you.... but lookit what I scored... I KNOW you been lookin!! 

Seems I got your penchant for picking the worst project tractors tho!

20190220_181256.jpg

Edited by WHX22
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Now back to your Bolens... what do you mean about it needs a coil? I might be able to help. PM sent...

Edited by WHX22

formariz

That Bolens is probably my favorite tractor. There is just nothing else like it. @buckrancherhas a beautifully restored one. Its in another post here somewhere.

Here it is in this thread.

Edited by formariz
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Great thread Cas ..thanks for digging it out:handgestures-thumbupright:

WHNJ701
58 minutes ago, WHX22 said:

K160 Jabel? Sure it's not a 161? No matter a good non WH to have in yer herd. 

Not to steal your thread guy but I haunt GTalk the same as you.... but lookit what I scored... I KNOW you been lookin!! 

20190220_181256.jpg

yeah buddy those amigo's got one cool drive set up on them.

WHNJ701

no its definitely a k160 engine, very similar to the k161, it's got totally different coil setup.  a company used to repro them, some old chainsaws and boat engines used them.

• Thanks 1

WHNJ701
1 hour ago, formariz said:

That Bolens is probably my favorite tractor. There is just nothing else like it. @buckrancherhas a beautifully restored one. Its in another post here somewhere.

Here it is in this thread.

thanks for the link, he did an awesome job on it.  I will have to contact him.

formariz

I cant take my eyes off of that thing. He has also somewhere here some information on that coil. I believe he ran into similar obstacles during restoration. But then there are no obstacles to Brian. Only something else to execute perfectly.

• Like 2

Chris G

Thats a nice bolens. Have had one of those on my want list for awhile now. 

oliver2-44
1 hour ago, WHX22 said:

I resemble that remark!  

Both of you have cool project we want to see more pictures of.

A round nose Bolens is on my list. 

The Amigos are also really cool. I thankfully walked away from one for sale on GT talk a few years ago...missing way to many pieces.

• Haha 1

WHX??
10 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

...missing way to many pieces

Agreed Jim & always the problem when you have that cool odd ball tractor in your herd....and the fact that there are no dedicated sites like RS here to find the pieces to the puzzle. Best one can do is wander the flea markets at shows hoping you find something or make your own parts. :unsure:

WHNJ701

making your own parts is fun!

I don't regret buying this one, I only know of 2 of these in nj, for what I spent on the tractor and tracking parts down I would have been better off trying to locate a complete or finished one and having it shipped. but that wouldn't be any fun!  most people looked at this when it for sale passed on it and wanted to chop it up for parts.  I realized it was restorable.  in the end it's a hobby I am going to have way more into this one than its value.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

formariz

Two years ago there was one for sale here in NJ in Sussex county on Craigslist. It was a complete running tractor with original patina ,never touched. I came close to buying it and I regretted it ever since for not doing it. It was $550.00 and again a complete running tractor. The biggest issue for me at the time was basically that I would have to move into the shed with it. That one would stick out like a sore thumb.

• Like 1

WHNJ701
25 minutes ago, formariz said:

Two years ago there was one for sale here in NJ in Sussex county on Craigslist. It was a complete running tractor with original patina ,never touched. I came close to buying it and I regretted it ever since for not doing it. It was $550.00 and again a complete running tractor. The biggest issue for me at the time was basically that I would have to move into the shed with it. That one would stick out like a sore thumb.

was that a 57? I do remember seeing one up that way.  the one I wish I bought was in mass, 100% barn find original paint etc... that went pretty high.

what drives me nuts is I know where a 59 bolens that has been sitting for decades, the property and contents are in an estate legal battle. it's about 10 minutes away!

WHNJ701

here's a few more pics of some of the parts I tracked down, the oil bath airfilter, same as an early cub cadet, look  carefully at the kohler muffler, it's reversed!!  a set of NOS hub pawls not something you grab at the parts store.  attached is the coil and how it mounts up.  I did find a great kohler k160 engine manual too.

a good friend found me some narrow rims that will work,  I still have to shorten for the short spindles.  it's s 3" wide rim.   I have to order bushings for the 1" shaft. 

I will keep this post going as it  s l o w l y moves along!

20190221_170526.jpg

20190221_170713.jpg

20190221_171327.jpg

20190221_171357.jpg

20190221_171007.jpg

• Like 1

WHNJ701

so over the last week or so I took my drawings traced it out on sheet metal, cut it out, made some bends, (that little harbor freight bench break works great)

clamped the 2 parts together and welded it up.  

it test fits perfect.  a belt guard for one of these is next to impossible to find and I am sure it's a high dollar item if one did come up online.

I am happy with the results.  this was a big hurdle to get over for this project.  next is to finish the front rims

20190302_155937.jpg

20190302_164119.jpg

20190303_145611.jpg

20190309_185042.jpg

• Like 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
On 2/21/2019 at 5:27 PM, jabelman said:

here's a few more pics of some of the parts I tracked down, the oil bath airfilter, same as an early cub cadet, look  carefully at the kohler muffler, it's reversed!!  a set of NOS hub pawls not something you grab at the parts store.  attached is the coil and how it mounts up.  I did find a great kohler k160 engine manual too.

a good friend found me some narrow rims that will work,  I still have to shorten for the short spindles.  it's s 3" wide rim.   I have to order bushings for the 1" shaft. 

I will keep this post going as it  s l o w l y moves along!

20190221_170526.jpg

20190221_170713.jpg

20190221_171327.jpg

20190221_171357.jpg

20190221_171007.jpg

I see the narrow axel you mentioned, never seen one that narrow! More of a challenge, cool. Your doing a great job, lot's of fun time!

Edited by oldman