MalMac

Grounding plastic gas tote

953 nut
On 1/22/2019 at 10:33 AM, ebinmaine said:

Odd thing about that is I've personally never seen a gas can larger than 5 gallons.

I know they make them. I guess all this would explain the absence of them

Old farts like me can't lift a full can of gas over five gallons anyway!

• Haha 1

Sarge

There are some studies about claims of car sickness and static electricity against the inner ear - causing an equilibrium imbalance that makes people sick. It can also happen in animals, especially dogs. The studies are long and tedious to read, but some doctors and veterinarians have had good results using static straps on the vehicle to help alleviate the problem - but again, it could also be some sort of placebo effect. I've never taken the time to study it, nor do I have that issue in any way. I just noticed it and did a bit of research for nothing else than boredom. My interest in the straps is beyond just the static issue - its more about corrosion than anything else. Getting rid of the static problem not only makes getting in/out of a vehicle less of a shocking experience, but there are benefits to preventing corrosion. Again, spend your own time forming an opinion and doing your research - there is plenty to read on this subject. Personally, I've had quite a few and currently own a Japanese truck that is highly known to have corrosion problems - when they have to replace frames it is pretty serious. The trucks are proven beyond any doubt they are very tough and well built - easily lasting 3-500,000 miles easily if maintained. But, most die from rust problems well before any drivetrain issues - so you have to do anything you can to prevent that rust. I've coated frames with various chemicals and even spent the time to blast/grind and paint some areas that are known issues - but using a grounding strap seems to do more good than other methods. Some fleet companies run them as a preventative measure as well - for the lousy $20, I feel its worth a shot. My Dodge, with its cloth interior and the insane amount of electronics in the vehicle can cause a huge static discharge every time you get out of it in the winter - it can actually be painful. The strap cuts it down to almost nothing and at times there is no perceptible shock - good enough for me. I've had a Mitzer strap on it since purchase in late 2015 - no change in any spots on the frame yet in the factory finish, even on fasteners, so I'm happy.

Sarge

• Thanks 1

Mikey the Monkey

im going to put it on my wifes car without her knowledge. when we go on road trips she rides shotgun and reads facebook and then gets carsick. ill be anxious to see if this alleviates her problem. i have thought about throwing her smartphone out the window but i feel that may cause another problem...thank you sarge, and thank you for your service

JoeM

I guess you can buy modern tires that dissipate static. Due to the lower carbon content of tires they have become less conductive. Looks like newer tires are going this grounding strip route.

Static electricity can be a problem with tires. Static electricity and an inadequate electrical ground can be a real concern when you’re refueling, or when you’re sliding out of the car. Modern tire compounds feature less carbon black to cut rolling resistance and weight, but that also means a tire that’s less conductive for an electric ground between the vehicle and the road surface. The solution is an “antenna tread” in the tire’s surface – a thin, continuous strip of rubber that serves as an efficient conductor between the tire and pavement so the vehicle is always grounded