Stepney

Deck lift question

Stepney

Hello, all. Went to put my 42"rd on my '69 Charger today and ran into an issue. When I had it on my Electro 12, it was missing something evidently. On my E-12, there were just 2 open holes where the arrow in the picture is pointing. The lift slotted right in and the deck worked great. It was also missing all of it's belt disengagement system, which apparently mounts there? Anyway, went to put the lift arm on my Charger, and the shaft is still there. I know people are using these newer decks on the older models, so what are you all doing to lift the deck without removing parts? 

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 12.12.11 PM.png

953 nut

The deck mounting hardware on the older decks is a bit different, see the photo below. Also there is a different mule drive set up.

1988749818_mowerblades001.JPG.7b9d5015cec2d24287a2900e2030fbfd.JPG

896417895_mower003.JPG.4e94ef989ffc35e49cb0a534779bcbea.JPG781639002_69Charger003.JPG.43a556e2bc3dd876830f1b16dcccefc0.JPG

Stepney

I'm aware of the older system, but like quite a few I've seen on here, I've converted this Charger over to the newer front hitch. I know of a lot of people are using newer decks, just trying to figure out how they are lifting them. 

953 nut

If you install a Mule Drive on the front of the frame then you can use the newer deck without any belt interference.

ebinmaine
On 1/18/2019 at 6:34 AM, 953 nut said:

If you install a Mule Drive on the front of the frame then you can use the newer deck without any belt interference.

Richard that solves the issue on the front side but how does it mount in the back?

We have very little intention of using a mower deck here right now but it is a possibility for the future and two of the tractors that we may use r from 1967.

The Tuul Crib

Here's my 1967 1067 with the mule drive on the front. This was on it when I picked it up. It is a long frame and the bracket that bolts in front to the frame is where the mule drive hooks up.im not sure if WH at the time made this or it was fabricated by someone else . This should allow me to use the newer deck that I have.

IMG_4995.PNG

• Like 1

Sarge

WH did make a conversion bracket set to use the mule drive system on the older frame tractors - they are not hard to build or copy. I have one on my 1277 and also have made a few of them here. Another option is to use the mount from a later C-series that bolts to the front of the frame. You'll have to drill a couple of holes as well as use the longer front axle center pin - this longer pin goes through a hole in the center of the mount. That thing basically bolts to the front frame cross member and has it's own hood hinge holes. Some older models will require fabrication to get the hood to fit correctly if you go with C-series bracket, so keep that in mind. It is nicer to use the later style mule drive, I believe the original kit came with the clutch assembly and newer style center brackets - @gwest_ca will be along with the kit instructions and numbers in about 5,4,3,2,1....

Sarge

Stepney
4 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Here's my 1967 1067 with the mule drive on the front. This was on it when I picked it up. It is a long frame and the bracket that bolts in front to the frame is where the mule drive hooks up.im not sure if WH at the time made this or it was fabricated by someone else . This should allow me to use the newer deck that I have.

IMG_4995.PNG

Yes, you see those front mules now and them. I added them to both my machines. Is there anything for a deck lift hanging under the machine though? I've not seen a 68 mounted in person. And as in my original post, I managed to rig it onto my '68.. but I doubt everyone is pulling parts off their machine. So I have to be missing something. 

The Tuul Crib
9 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Yes, you see those front mules now and them. I added them to both my machines. Is there anything for a deck lift hanging under the machine though? I've not seen a 68 mounted in person. And as in my original post, I managed to rig it onto my '68.. but I doubt everyone is pulling parts off their machine. So I have to be missing something. 

You would probably need a newer attach-o- magic to make that worif thats what you mean

Stepney
Just now, The Tool Crib said:

You would probably need a newer attach-o- magic to make that worif thats what you mean

I have newer tach-a-matic's on both machines. Off C series tractors. The issue is I have nothing to actually lift the deck. They'll mount up just fine, but I have no way to lift for transport. 

The Tuul Crib

I see by the pictures that you are missing the lift lever now I know what you are talking about. Someone somewhere here should have one that will go on the tractor.