Daron1965

2019 garden plans? What tractor do you use

Daron1965

I received a few seed catalogs in the mail today, so I began thinking about the upcoming spring planting. My wife had me plow a small area,  about 25 ft x 40 ft closer to the house for her and her mother to tinker in this spring.  It is currently covered in decaying hay.  

Second plot is 40ft x 80ft or so,  just laying there plowed over.  Cold damp weather keeps from having the get up and go to plow again. 

I use my 312-8 to do all of my dirt work.  I find myself wanting a larger tractor to do more work around the area,  such as box blazing the hilly areas of the field that is hard to mow,  etc.   What all do you use, (tractor and implements) and what all is it used for?

Trying to decide what larger tractor to consider. (maybe jumping up to compact utility size,  RK,  Kioti, Kubota, Ford etc)

Thank you all. 

Edited by Daron1965

roadapples

I do no gardening... But I like the C160... Never under gunned..

bc.gold

Simplicity 9020 with the snow thrower that will be used again in a few days once the wind stops moving the snow around, we don't get much snow here in Manitoba we just recycle it into drifts.

That snow thrower will blow right through a 4 foot drift tossing it to the side, used to have a Little Dipper with a front end loader and most of the piles would be here late into the spring with the blower the snow is mush more spread out and not as depressing to look at.

The Little Dipper was a cool four wheel drive, continental diesel with hydrostatic drive operated by a foot rocker, steering could be selected as 2 wheel steer 4 wheel steer or crab. I'll do a post on how I changed the water pump seal and bearing without the use of a press as a fresh post.

My other tractor is an Allis 720 with a front end loader that will be used for lifting and moving junk in and out of the shop and around the yard, maybe even pull a  few engines with it.

Daddy Don

I use my C125 with tiller. It does all I need it to.

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
1 hour ago, Daddy Don said:

I use my C125 with tiller. It does all I need it to.

Same setup I've got...must be an Okie thing :lol: Need to finish up a few minor repairs before spring. My sister took a job as Deputy Sheriff here and got her a nice place out in the country, so my C125 will probably be spending quite a bit of time out at her place when she is ready to start her garden this year

• Like 1

Razorback

I was getting ready to say that my C160 with it’s tiller, plough, and cultivators is all I need to have a good garden. Then I got to thinking: My Speedex 1631 with plough, discs, cultivators, and furrowers would be OK by itself..... and my Cub Cadet 123 with it’s tiller would be OK by itself, and my Craftsman GT6000 with it’s plough and cultivator would be OK by itself.

I am blessed to have several capable GT’s that have good attachments to use. 

I guess the moral of that story is that several of the older GT’s (and even my newest 2009 Craftsman PGT9000) would be more than adequate with the appropriate attachments. But there is an obvious difference as the machines get newer..... they just are NOT built as strong.

I sure lean lean towards the older ones, though! And especially my Wheel Horse C160 and my Speedex 1631!

(and my 1974 Troy-Bilt Horse!)

Edited by Razorback

ebinmaine

I don't garden but my grandparents did a few years back.

They had the garden tractors that got me interested in having one.

Both were Cubs.

The later one was a 682 which Never let them down that I knew of.

That would have been a 17hp Kohler and pretty comparable to the C-160.

@Achto @PeacemakerJack @Mows4three

I'm sure you would love to chime in here

Blackhood Bill

Me & mrs. are going to try to put out a garden this year using a C-145 with tiller. First one with the wheel horse. 

Achto
10 hours ago, Daron1965 said:

I use my 312-8 to do all of my dirt work.  I find myself wanting a larger tractor to do more work around the area,  such as box blazing the hilly areas of the field that is hard to mow,  etc.   What all do you use, (tractor and implements) and what all is it used for?

Trying to decide what larger tractor to consider. (maybe jumping up to compact utility size,  RK,  Kioti, Kubota, Ford etc)

If you have a need for a heavier tractor then I would consider going with a compact. Our little garden tractors are great & are able to do many things but they do have their limitations. More HP can be useful with some implements but in my opinion 12hp is about all that you can get to the ground on a GT. Some may say different, to this challenge I would gladly hook my 10hp Farmall Cub to any GT with as much weight on their tractor as they wish to add. There's a pretty good chance that the GT will be coming with me. Some times bigger is just better.

• Like 1

Daron1965

I agree.  The main reason of asking is because I need to do a good bit of leveling high spots and slopes in my yard,  along with continue to garden.  I received two quotes so far.  They both are over $5200 to do the dirt work.  I figured I could buy a larger tractor with box blade for that price and work on it myself,  and also have another tractor. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

@Achto

I have zero experience running implements with my own garden tractor but I can definitely see the logic in that statement because my Patriot horse is roughly 375 lbs heavier than stock and then you add my own 260 + lb and even though that thing is only eight horsepower I have latched on to some trees that I honestly had no notion of moving ..... But they went.

Daron,

I'm quite sure I would take the same path as you in purchasing another tractor instead of paying somebody else to do that type of work. I believe that is most certainly a better investment in the long run even though it may take you a little longer to get the work done by yourself then it would with heavy equipment.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
21 hours ago, Daron1965 said:

I received a few seed catalogs in the mail today, so I began thinking about the upcoming spring planting. My wife had me plow a small area,  about 25 ft x 40 ft closer to the house for her and her mother to tinker in this spring.  It is currently covered in decaying hay.  

Second plot is 40ft x 80ft or so,  just laying there plowed over.  Cold damp weather keeps from having the get up and go to plow again. 

Thank you all. 

I have used my 520H for everything from mowing snow removal driveway maintance to gardening as well as logging, but without fail my compact Kioti CK20 and sub compact Mahindra eMax 22G(not much bigger than the xi) would be a much better choice for what you are wanting to do don't forget about the older Yanmar, Mitsubishi(Satoh), Kubota, Iseki, Massey Ferguson, Case IH compact tractors, good luck.

IMAG5549.jpg

IMAG2969.jpg

IMAG3215.jpg

IMAG4049.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daddy Don
22 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

Same setup I've got...must be an Okie thing :lol: Need to finish up a few minor repairs before spring. My sister took a job as Deputy Sheriff here and got her a nice place out in the country, so my C125 will probably be spending quite a bit of time out at her place when she is ready to start her garden this year

Us  Okies have to stick together.  Now that you have sheriff in the family you better keep your nose clean. It must be another Okie thing my youngest son is a police officer. He has been on the force for 13 years.

With the weather today it seems we should already be planting a garden. If you get down this way lets get together and have some lunch. Have a great year.   

6wheeler

I have a combination that I use. I use the D-250 to plow the gardens. Then I use my 1949 John Deere A  and my 10 foot JD disc on them. After that? I use the A and an 8 foot JD CCA field cultivator to finish prepare. I plant the gardens with a 1952 Cole Planet JR, rows are planted on 48 inch spacings. After the plants are up? I cultivate between the rows with my customized C-160 auto. With different tires on it? I have narrowed it down to 32 inches wide. It fits nicely between the rows. I also use my C-165 8spd, with a potato digger I made. After all of the crops are done? I mow all of the gardens off with my Groundsmaster and a 60 inch Flail mower. All in all? It works very well.

Lane Ranger

I use my 1993  Wheel Horse 314-8  with a 1978 tiller.   This is tp till up the garden before planting. Works great,

After my garden is planted I use my 1961 Wheel Horse 701  with Hein-Werner hydro pump and my nine tine clutivator.   I can clean out the weed growth in 15 minutes on seven rows.

148.JPG.f524917a2d2ba0af38f95e69312f8c6f.JPG147.JPG.3d7ce905a1bd374fd1ccdd2bb14821ec.JPG71535A41-8F8F-4820-9492-93DB02B0BA24.jpeg.847c9410c1c4d57cc1b3884b261f2f7a.jpeg7D983567-806C-4BF7-A854-FD7A42B30B8D.jpeg.d1397c1436852ad6a52a9bd1b56708ab.jpeg

023.JPG

021.JPG

019.JPG

• Excellent 3