JCM

Tractor storage

DennisThornton
4 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

When I had my small one (8x10/10x12?) I used "Black Magic" vinyl protectant about a week before a bigger snow storm, the snow did slide off better than not treating it, maybe that's why it lasted more than a year as opposed not treating it :confusion-confused:, something is better than nothing...now if those tops were made from marine grade vinyl like truck bed tonno covers they'd probably last 10+ years.

Would love to hear more from others.  I know even Armoral and silicone lubes help make things slick but last longer?  Snow sliding off is a big deal too! 

But I'm still planning on some metal roofing. 

WHNJ701

adding the extra emt support definitely helps with the snow, but you have to still remove it asap.  you have to remember too these are 500+/- tent sheds, not real buildings 

Edited by jabelman

DennisThornton

I add ratchet strap cross/collar ties across the front, rear and two mid posts. Then ratchet straps in line and in between the rafters, where another emt would have been appreciated.  Up over the ridge and down the other side.  Way too much unsupported area for snow to collect! 

Then, unless it ruins the usage, support the center/ridge.  Would take a terrific snow load now to collapse it!  Or skip all that, run three 2x4 purlins on each side and metal roof it. 

Edited by DennisThornton

wallfish
3 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Or skip all that,

And build a permanent structure or order a shipping container.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I'd also say long term skip the tents.  But they are so cheap and so quick to pop up they serve a real use for either a slim pocket or a full schedule, or maybe until that permanent structure.  Or maybe even after it...  But there are steps between!  I have permanent structures but I also have tents.  Heck!  I've got one "tent" on sled rails with a full plywood floor, ridge pole and center wall that will most likely get a metal roof.  More portable building now than tent!  

Oh, to further address the original question, the rounded tops are a far better choice for snow loads! 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

@JCM

So Jim, I'm curious to know if you had done anything with more tractor storage after this thread.

I ordered a 10 by 20 foot off of Amazon and it should be here next week sometime.

If anybody's interested to see it, p.m. me and I'll send you the link.

It will be just about big enough for us to put four or five tractors along with log splitter, snow blowers, lawn mower, summer tires, Etc.

Our plan is to clear the trees from an area maybe 18 x 30 ft? So as to give plenty of walk around room to be able to keep the snow off of, and away from, the structure.

we are going to put down a layer of some sort of vapor barrier like Typar or Tyvek because we have that on hand, and then some 3/4 crushed stone. Also have that on hand.

We were seriously considering hand building an A-frame structure but decided against that because while reading online I found that you still need to clear the snow from the bottom of it even though it sheds it from the top.

I figured if we have to take the time to clear the snow we might as well have something with vertical walls ... giving more storage space.

JCM

Not yet,I am working on the removal of Trees as we speak,I will only cut down the ones I can safely fell alone, after that those big Pines will be left to my neighbor who owns a Tree Service Company. Also, waiting for the Damn rain to stop and let some of the moisture back into the ground.Would really like to build something just not in the budget at this time.     Have a Great Day     Off to work in Mass today!

• Like 3

C-85

We got ours from Farm Tek and really like it, it's 20' x 28'.  One advantage to the FT ones is that they have a panel in the roof that lets light through.  We've had it for 2 years now, and we also have a smaller one from SL.

C-85

IMG_0225.JPG

• Like 4

rjg854

Nice duece and a half B)

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Nice duece and a half B)

I tri d convincing myself that I needed one for a daily driver a few years back.  My wife even let me bid on them when they came to auctions nearby, but it never happened.  I planned to bob the second drive axle and go with single rear tires.

• Like 1