clueless

Head light sockets?

clueless

My new to me C160 head light sockets may need to be replaced. one bulb worked and one was blown. I finally got the bulbs out after breaking then and using some needle nose pliers, you know the deal. The sockets are in ruff shape, after cleaning them up some I can't get a 1157 bulb to slid in and turn, I know it's not the right bulb but close enough, it's all I had in the drawer. Has any one replaced these sockets, if so how, I know I can just crush them and pull them out, just trying to find out how to put some new ones in.

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

Following....

roadapples

1157 and 1156 bulbs have the little "bumps" on the side at different places. On one bulb they are directly across from each other. On the other bulb they are staggered...

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Search...

1156 "single action" bulb socket on Ebay. 

953 nut

oliver2-44

I tried to put an old socket in a light assembly that I had removed to remove the rusted in broken bulb remains.  i broke the pot metal light assembly trying to get the socket back in.  Had to epoxy it back together. i put the socket in with liquid solder (conductive glue), but its not a great repair. 

I'd also appreciate how others have gotten a new socket in.

• Like 1

19richie66

I just did away with them all together.👍

D432E080-F807-4268-A984-EE33F800C681.jpeg

0B25F3A2-D572-4D2F-B31E-FC3576B4F550.jpeg

• Like 3

rjg854

@19richie66

Got to know more about what you've got going on there, please. 

• Like 1

Razorback

I am thinking of doing away with those sockets altogether and make some rectangular LED fixtures fit behind the stock lens. That way it will keep the stock look from the outside.

Still thinking on it..... 🤔 

• Like 1

19richie66
7 hours ago, rjg854 said:

@19richie66

Got to know more about what you've got going on there, please. 

These are 894 halogen bulbs I put in the gt14. To keep the lense from getting hot, i put a brushless computer fan in the space between the lamps. It actually works pretty good. Not as bright white as an led but I can get led replacements and they will just twist into the top plate. I had to cut off the lamp sockets to clear the fuel tank we made.

87DDB737-AFF2-4F55-AB50-CA1FC8DA3345.jpeg

145D543C-385E-4FB4-8A63-3076C4987C30.jpeg

7FC2DB29-E025-4491-863A-327FC115DC96.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Digger 66
9 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

D432E080-F807-4268-A984-EE33F800C681.jpeg

Great idea !

The weather-tite plugs should last a long ..long time .

I usually smear a bit of Vaseline on the ribbed rubber of the male end . 

• Like 1

Sarge

There used to be a replacement socket base available that had a nut and nylon washer to repair bad sockets in most lamp housings - be darned if I can find them now, maybe they don't make them anymore. There are generic ones with fingers that expand to hold the socket in place and those should work fine. Be aware, if you want to convert to led you'll run into an issue with light scatter unless the chips are rear firing toward the reflector. This is a common issue with conversion bulbs used on automotive applications - I've tried several myself and without a rear-firing lamp, it's a waste of money. Most of the conversion bulbs do a great job at lighting up trees, the ground, however - not so much.

Great idea using the modern lamp bases for auto halogen bulbs - but at a common 110 watts per pair it is a pretty good draw on the electrical system.

Sarge

• Like 1

19richie66

Eventually I would like to install the LED cluster bulb with the 894 base. I just figured I would use what I had until then. The LED’s in the front of the fenders do good enough I don’t need headlight.👍

Razorback

I just thought of something:

I have a few of these flashlights. They are crazy bright. I am going to take a couple of them apart, steal the LED bulbs out of them, and see about mounting them in the stock reflectors on my C160. I will experiment with mounting them forwards (to shine directly through the stock headlamp lens), and towards the reflector, to see which might work best.

Might be a fairly cheap modification to get some really bright LED headlamps.

9317F272-98E2-48C3-A65C-6B9B7535BCE9.jpeg

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Razorback said:

I have a few of these flashlights. They are crazy bright. I am going to take a couple of them apart, steal the LED bulbs out of them, and see about mounting them in the stock reflectors on my C160. I will experiment with mounting them forwards (to shine directly through the stock headlamp lens), and towards the reflector, to see which might work best.

Sounds interesting.

Don't forget to take lots of pictures !

:handgestures-thumbupright:

953 nut
5 hours ago, Razorback said:

:confusion-confused:      What voltage are they? The one I have is 4.5 volts ( three AA Batteries).

Razorback
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:confusion-confused:      What voltage are they? The one I have is 4.5 volts ( three AA Batteries).

Not sure, but most LED lights will work in a range of 1.5VDC to maybe 14 VDC.

If I destroy these..... oh well..... but I bet they work.

Sarge

The driver chips will not handle voltages above 6v on most of those small lights - just fyi. I made the mistake of testing one that I repaired the board due to a bad solder joint - a 12v power tool battery exploded the driver chip instantly.

Sarge

• Like 1

Razorback
4 hours ago, Sarge said:

The driver chips will not handle voltages above 6v on most of those small lights - just fyi. I made the mistake of testing one that I repaired the board due to a bad solder joint - a 12v power tool battery exploded the driver chip instantly.

Sarge

Good to know!

troutbum70

You could put together a little circuit to put ahead of the led's to bring voltage down to 6 volts or less. Not much to it a couple transistors, a voltage regulator on a very small circuit board with a potentiometer to adjust the voltage.

• Like 1

Tractorhead

If it works with 3 AA or AAA batteries, i use electronic Voltage regulator for Voltage drop.

Switching regulators have small footprints and didn‘t develop much heat and have mostly a wide input Range.

To protect them from water or dirt, solder cables on and place it after in a complete closed Silicone Bed.

They will mostly be selling at fleebay very cheap.

The original use is mainly for USB Charging (Tablets or Mobilephones) and they drops Voltage from 9-20V down to 5V

with a possible current in ranges between 1A or 5A.

The 1A type shall be more than enough but it‘s mostly not cheaper than the 5A Version.

Fleebay transaction for reference.