moe1965

854 restoration project

moe1965

I purchased this tractor about a month ago and put a few posts up that some of you might have read and responded to a few of my questions. Thank you all by the way. Here is where I am at now I was told that the engine was running about a year ago I doubt that because of the things I have found wrong with it such as the exhaust valve was stuck in the open position I have corrected that problem among a lots of other things lap the valves and today I fired it up for the first time it's at and purred like a kitten. I rewired the ignition switch and put in a solenoid which was a chore for me because I'm not that good with electrical. I'm trying to work out as many bugs as I can before spring such as I have to replace all of the seals in the rear end which is my next project come springtime it's going to get a total paint job pictures to follow. Here is another question what spark plug is correct for this engine it currently has a j19lm Champion spark plug in it. Thanks in advance Merry Christmas to all.

20181201_134219.jpg

20181209_113901.jpg

20181209_115653.jpg

20181225_110753.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Nice looking ride and good work so far.

Plug should be a J8C I believe.

Replacing transmission seals will be easy enough.

Just be sure to put a piece of electrical tape or something over the groove of the shafts when installing the new seals to prevent cutting them.

Pulling the hubs can be quite a challenge.

Not sure if you have attempted that yet.

• Thanks 1

moe1965

I have replaced seals in my other two tractors and made a puller out of a old hub. I know they can be a pain but I thank God I have a lot of patience because you don't want to force them. 

Edited by moe1965
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, moe1965 said:

made a puller out of a old hub

Perfect !!

Pullstart

@moe1965  it’s your ride, do as you wish....  but if it were me I’d try to clean up that patina and let it be..

WHNJ701

don't put a champion plug in it, go with a ngk or something better.  I never had an issue pulling hubs off, spray them up good with pb blaster a week or so to let soak in.  I would also take those goofy lights off it and box them up and send them to me for my 854!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

moe1965

Made a little more progress today. Tomorrow I'm going to replace all the seals.   I ran the moter for about an hour yesterday. Charging system worked fine. It smokes a little on throttle up and throttle down. Not really sure if I'm going to go further on a engine rebuild or not. It's gona be more of a putter and maby a snow pusher on the winter. Any thoughts? 

20181228_173336.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

If you're really not gonna work it to hard.... Runnit....

• Like 1

WHNJ701

a ring could be hung up a little from sitting, I had a briggs that on tractor that must have sat for 25 years, it smoked liked crazy the first time I got it running again, each time it got better, added some marvel mystery oil into the oil, the engine runs with very little if any smoke now, didn't see a need to tear it down since it's on a limited use show tractor 

• Thanks 1

moe1965

Thanks jabelman. I did just that.  I added mystery oil to the oil and gas hoping eventually after running it that might help. I put a post on here a while back about using Marvel Mystery Oil and peoples thoughts etc. I'm not much of a guy on Vudu or what not but it did work for me in my fuel system on a 141 took some time. I had some carburetor issues it ran fine at a high rpm but would never idle good. After about 4 tanks full it cleared right up. I'm hoping that it is a ring issue and it does clear up I had the head off of it and I could still see the hash marks in the cylinder walls leading me to believe that the cylinder and piston is still in good shape there was a lot of carbon buildup in this engine.

• Like 2

moe1965

All this because my oil pan gasket was leaking then I found the steering was sloppy might as well fix that and I have an O-ring in my fuel bowl shutoff that was hard to get at to replace so I just took the tank off to make things easier I think I'm crazy

20181231_164516.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine

A never ending process.....

I need to remove this to get to that....

Might as well fix these too...

While I'm here I'll just take those off too....

• Haha 1

WHNJ701
4 hours ago, moe1965 said:

All this because my oil pan gasket was leaking then I found the steering was sloppy might as well fix that and I have an O-ring in my fuel bowl shutoff that was hard to get at to replace so I just took the tank off to make things easier I think I'm crazy

20181231_164516.jpg

looks good so far definitely makes it easier to degrease and start rubbing that Johnson paste wax into that frame

• Haha 1

moe1965

Steering issue solved ended up being a little bit of slop in the roll pin it's amazing how little slop transfers to a lot of slop on the other end I just jumped up one size in a roll pin seems to be enough meat on the cast iron part I don't think I'll have any issues now

20190101_123056.jpg

• Like 1