PeacemakerJack

Thank God for Kids—and grandkids too!

LengerichKA88

We’ve had a ton of stuff going on the last few weeks, but the other day I was in the middle of something and my son (4 in August) came up to me and said “Daddy, you’re the best guy I know!” 

Kids have a way of saying or doing what we need right when we need it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

Pullstart
On 12/21/2018 at 11:38 AM, PeacemakerJack said:

I’m not a fan of praising mediocrity (“everyone gets a blue ribbon!”) but I love to encourage and praise kids who work hard and excell at what they do whether that be drama, sports, crafts, art, mechanics, and the list could go on and on. 

You know Josh,  I re-read your first post here and felt like adding this.

It’s good for a kid to learn how to lose, just as importantly, win with a humble attitude as well.  I often remind my kids “You don’t have to BE the best, but I do want you to TRY your best.”

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-yeahthat: Well said Kevin! I couldn’t agree with you more.  In the 400M, Caleb is currently running a 1:01.3.  The fastest guy in the state in 8th grade is running a :54.4. Caleb is very unlikely to beat him.  I have told my kids and the teens in my youth group that it is easier to lose a sports competition knowing that you did your best and left it all on the field, court, track etc than it is to win with the knowledge that you did a mediocre performance and skated by easy competition.  

Its weird to think that there is something as a “satisfying” loss, but I believe it occurs when you did the best that you could do in that moment and were squarely beat by more skilled, talented, or better prepared opponents. 

Losing graciously is also an art art to be learned that can reap big dividends in adulthood but so can winning graciously.  I’ve seen Caleb this season beat some of the underclassmen by 20 seconds and yet he goes over to them after the race and encourages them, gives them a fist bump, etc.

Thank you Kevin for bringing this point up.  It is very valid and timely.  Can I say that, “excellence isn’t always BEING the best but STRIVING to be the best!”?

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Coulter Caleb

Thank you @pullstart for those words of wisdom. I wish everyone could embrace those words. I know I haven’t been posting lately... sports kinda got on the way a little bit, but this summer I’m finally going to have enough time to post, and be on the forum. I can’t wait...:happy-bouncymulticolor:

I just have this small competition  called  state I got to go to on Saturday.When that’s in the rear view mirror. 

ITS TRACTOR TIME!!!:auto-layrubber:

Through all of this Track season I’ve learned that you got to keep pressing on even though the cramps, aches, and pains (which I have a lot of) We often have cramps and aches in life but still we have to press on through them one step at a time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

LengerichKA88

Well, Michael got his first tractor yesterday, but we’ll have to forgive the color.  PaPaw wanted to get him an early birthday present that he could have fun with before starting preschool in July. The nice thing about this is that the trailer has a 22lb limit, so he’ll be hauling plants and such for me with it. 

He kept saying “Just look at this bad boy.” 😂

forgive the mess, daddy’s gearing up for a garage sale this weekend 

8F124016-E5C3-4D16-85F1-9FEEDD5FB045.jpeg

66CD0CD8-940C-489B-9278-03D769CCCEC8.jpeg

32ACC764-D93F-45FD-BD4B-E73DA505D050.jpeg

707C30CD-EB04-4D47-9B31-B930B77AC420.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

LengerichKA88

My dad always tried to push me to be the best, but the way he went about it was all wrong lol. Usually dads “encouragement” ended in shouting and tears. He really did try though.... 

I make Michael try everything (within reason for his age) once. He HAS to try. He doesn’t have to be the best, but I will not allow defeat before you even begin. 

Luckily Im a good mix of both my parents, and instead of getting angry and shouting, I try to find a different approach to explain things. 

It’s funny, I’ll find myself in a position where I’m teaching my son something and I feel a “Marcus and Kyle moment” coming... I can see he’s about to cry because he’s frustrated, or scared, and I can feel myself getting angry because he’s getting so upset at something that I think is so simple, or not that daunting. 

In those moments I think “Here’s where I do it differently.”, take a breathe, and push forward. I know I don’t have to tell you guys this but: sometimes that the hardest thing to do. 

I want my kids to have happy, healthy childhoods, but I also want them to be self sufficient, knowledgeable, polite, decent people. 

We’re supposed to improve upon our parents when raising our kids. For all his faults my dad did that, and I’m doing the best I can to do the same for my kids. I’m no saint, but when that little boy comes up to me and says “Daddy, you’re my best friend.” I know I’m headed in the right direction. 

Edited by LengerichKA88
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

Look at that proud guy on his new set of wheels!  Thanks for sharing.  I know I’ve said this before but enjoy every moment, before you know it he’ll be cutting lawn for you, and two more blinks and he’ll be getting his drivers license.  Kids are awesome, even on their “bad” days and I’m so thankful that I get the privilege to be a dad.  

“just look at this bad boy!” 😂

Well said.

• Excellent 1

LengerichKA88

At least the shop stool he uses is the right color 😂

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

RandyLittrell

My kids are out of school now but my grandson is my little buddy!!!  He is 4 and has such a big heart! He loves to help me in the shop and cook in the kitchen. His name is Vincent. His dog in named Rigby and he is a mastif great dane mix, they are best buddies!!!

He is changing the oil on his race car and hammering nails at the shop!

FB_IMG_1552867483235 (1).jpg

20190213_204445.jpg

20181116_133151.jpg

20180610_142713.jpg

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 4

LengerichKA88

Bit of a “Proud Papa” moment today:

My almost 4 year old went out to the family farm overnight last night, and I picked him up this evening. He got out there last night just in time for evening chores, so he was out right to work. Which is exactly what that boy wants. He fed the chickens, he fed the sheep, and he fed the donkeys. Then he collected eggs and shut them up for the night. 

When my uncle got home he helped unload the car and put away groceries. 

This morning he got up and did it all again, with a smile on his face. 

I called after breakfast, and he informed me that “ I’m going to be a farmer for five more days.” (Read: I want to stay here for five more days.)  When I got there about 5 this evening, he was visibly unhappy to see me. Not because he didn’t miss me, but because he knew that meant he was leaving. Now, he’s not 4 until the end of August, and he has his moments here at home where he’ll push the limits of whinnyness. Not once, did he defy, disobey, question, or complain about anything I asked him to do in regards to getting ready to leave. His face didn’t change, but he did as asked. 

My aunt told me that he had been a joy to have, that he was polite, and kind, and helpful. 

He was asleep about 5 minutes after work pulled out of the drive, but when I asked him “What was your favorite thing you did at the farm?” He listed off the chores he did. “Giving the sheep their minerals, feeding the chickens, feeding the donkeys...(this is where he fell asleep).”

When we got home he woke up again for a bit and I asked him again if he’d had a good time, and he said “Yea Daddy, you should buy a farm.”  

At least he didn’t tell me to buy THE farm. 

Im glad that I’ve managed to raise a kid who feels a need to work and be helpful.

A6132469-804B-4591-B8F1-9D21CABDC2E2.jpeg

5046809E-1055-4FAA-901F-03A27B6DDC40.jpeg

D435E3C8-4F00-40A5-BFAC-ECD262B03FD3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 3

Razorback

Excellent!

Reminds me of ME when I would get to spend summers on relative’s dairy farms......

Yep, I can relate!

What a cute, good-natured kid! Bravo!

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LengerichKA88
12 hours ago, Razorback said:

Excellent!

Reminds me of ME when I would get to spend summers on relative’s dairy farms......

Yep, I can relate!

What a cute, good-natured kid! Bravo!

I’m pretty partial to him haha. Thanks @Razorback

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

LengerichKA88

Little man wanted to have “a tractor race” today... the Fawn beat the Clydesdale 😂

CF06AB83-9A3D-4859-A74C-F4BCB7EB1A0D.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Heart 2

ohiofarmer
On 5/13/2019 at 9:26 PM, Coulter Caleb said:

Thank you @pullstart for those words of wisdom. I wish everyone could embrace those words. I know I haven’t been posting lately... sports kinda got on the way a little bit, but this summer I’m finally going to have enough time to post, and be on the forum. I can’t wait...:happy-bouncymulticolor:

I just have this small competition  called  state I got to go to on Saturday.When that’s in the rear view mirror. 

ITS TRACTOR TIME!!!:auto-layrubber:

Through all of this Track season I’ve learned that you got to keep pressing on even though the cramps, aches, and pains (which I have a lot of) We often have cramps and aches in life but still we have to press on through them one step at a time.

ohiofarmer

Well, I know a thing or two about 400 meter running. My daughter [ a sprinter] subbed in for an injured runner at districts just to keep a spot alive for the regular runner to advance to regionals..Never ran the 'quarter mile' and did not know how.  Six races later, she got to stand on the podium. At State.With a 57.   You just never know.

But Caleb, it is not where you finish up, but how hard you try. The 400M is one of the races that runners hate the most. 100 and 200M are a piece of cake by comparison. The 400 runners are very acquainted with the trash barrel at the finish line and not that many people can stand the pain and nausea that are part of this race. It is a sacrifice that I think can speak to hard work.

What she is doing now is going through a PhD program and paying for it all by scholarships and working. It can still be done without much debt, and being willing to drive old cars and cut expenses.

I really think that your father's work ethic at home and church and also the lessons learned in athletic competition can take you far. Godspeed.   

P.S.  maybe you can run some XC in the fall?

• Like 4

prondzy
On 12/22/2018 at 7:22 AM, prondzy said:

A while ago, i suggested that my oldest (5 years old) should probably get her haircut i thought it was pretty long,  she told me she was growing it out to so she could donate it to Locks of Love. For those who dont know  this charity makes hair wigs for children with cancer and you need to donate a minimum of 10 inches in a pony tail for them to make a wig. This gesture of kindness in my 5 year old makes me glow on the inside, and she is getting pretty close to her goal.:greetings-clappingyellow:15821.jpeg.892cc9b533493bf251d08a911ea5229e.jpeg

Well today im very proud and happy to say my daughter cut her hair today and donated it for a wig to be made 20190726_170357.jpg.e74c2d02d2e8ad648a96d67c58f430c7.jpg

Here she is seems like she grew up overnight im so Proud! She turns 6 in September.

• Heart 6

PeacemakerJack

That is great Mike, thank you for sharing the follow up to the story.  Tell your daughter that I’m proud of her concern for others and to make this sacrifice.  Very thoughtful at her age. 

Well done Dad!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

LengerichKA88

My little bear is growing up..... Today was my sons first day of school. He’s been waiting for this since he could put together sentences. Every time a school bus would go by he’d ask “Daddy, is that gunna be my bus?”  He went off with no fear, only excitement. 

C8884BEA-91F4-4EC3-8A2E-6E624BEB13B8.jpeg

44940673-6750-4C13-9438-3BD927F2DEEB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 3

PeacemakerJack

I’ve been a “drifter” the last couple of months from the site because we have been super busy preparing and acting our Christmas play for church this year.  It is a civil way era drama that focuses on two primary characters—a doctor hardened by life and his war time experiences and a young soldier who gets injured and receives medical care from the doctor.  As the director, I had the opportunity to cast the play and had around 25 roles to fill.  It was my privilege to work with my son Caleb as the young soldier and the rest of my family in bit parts. Caleb worked extremely hard to memorize about 45 minutes worth of lines and did a great job with the part all the while keeping up his freshman HS grades and also spending two hours per night in basketball practice or games.  

The gospel message was plainly declared through the story and the actors did a great job with their parts. I’m hoping to get the play transferred to YouTube at some point in the future.

B17E08DB-5FFB-4C86-807B-09D8678B74F6.jpeg.641b63b906a83ea98857927d5bb568bd.jpeg

My two younger boys are in this scene.  Judge (standing in the blue shirt) played a younger counterpart to Caleb’s character and did a surprisingly good job as it was his first real stage experience.  Zach is sitting on the far right in the grey shirt and he had a non speaking bit part but was still included.

A29AECE8-02CB-4AF7-B08E-9B480E1C6832.jpeg.cd5ae2a3e2db0787b3dca54626cb1063.jpeg

Caleb acting with his stage “mom”!

75F080E4-46DD-4548-80C9-ED08BBD852BD.jpeg.5c7a2c5a533cc94c4db526c5fe24c341.jpeg

Caleb acting with his “real” mom as Kelli agreed to play the battlefield nurse (imagine her playing a nurse!)

452AADA5-D738-442E-8274-7002D8529A4E.jpeg.5310ce388dc60ed477f65207d08db028.jpeg

It was great to be able to work with my family and also see their talents grow...I will always consider this play a special

memory that we shared Christmas 2019.

• Heart 3

Pullstart

Awesome stuff Josh!

Pullstart

A little revival here.  Rylee is learning about the Scientific Method.  Her independent experiment this week is whether a flower will suck up food coloring or not.  

61DD1991-7523-4FDF-8A3D-E9EFA145B3B8.jpeg

0FF0C953-45FC-4DAB-ACC2-DECEF406272C.jpeg

• Heart 4

Stormin

Funny you should post that just now. We have some pot plants that we are looking after for eldest grandson. Currently posted to Cyprus with the Navy. They are just starting to flower and they are white.

This morning, Carol said she was thinking to add some colouring to the water, to see if they would change colour. She's just said if Rylee's cut the stems, they should suck up the coloured water. Potted plants may be different. We'll see.

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Funny you should post that just now. We have some pot plants that we are looking after for eldest grandson. Currently posted to Cyprus with the Navy. They are just starting to flower and they are white.

This morning, Carol said she was thinking to add some colouring to the water, to see if they would change colour. She's just said if Rylee's cut the stems, they should suck up the coloured water. Potted plants may be different. We'll see.

Pot plants huh?  :laughing-rofl:

She added 15 drops or coloring to each jar.  The veins are really starting to pop!

14BF7B5F-00C5-49CC-A38D-3EF59D58663B.jpeg

0D59E920-C4CC-41CF-8E58-36EAB1FCFF71.jpeg

7ECE488D-EA03-4A34-9AC2-55764F061454.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

Thanks Kevin and Jada for sharing your science exhibit here!  Very cool stuff...can’t wait to see what they look like after a few more days in the colored water.  

Caleb had an awesome opportunity to sing the national anthem a couple days ago.  He was asked during the school day by his drama teacher to sing it before the varsity game.  He played a solid JV game with multiple assists, steals, and a handful of points. Then he went, cleaned up, changed, and prepared to sing.  I’m very happy with his performance and thankful that he was willing to do it. They opened the event with prayer and then Caleb’s performance.  I hope you enjoy it...

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

tom2p

two thumbs up !