moe1965

Looking for a ignition switch

moe1965

Hello all I'm having trouble locating a switch for a 845 wheel horse. . It's difference from the newer model wheel horses as you can see in the picture must be because it has a starter-generator I'm guessing. Thanks in advance. 

20181209_100957.jpg

Elkskin's mower junkyard

Find a place put a solenoid in place then put newer switch in.

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

Looks identical to a switch out of an old case garden tractor. Not an original wheel horse switch, but it certainly would work. I recently bought one and here it is:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Switch-g-Heavy-Duty-3-Position-Keyed-Die-Cast-Bezel-universal-keyed-609/301348217320?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Now if you want something like the original switch, then here is what you want. Pricey, but almost identical to the original.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COLE-HERSEE-95521B-BX-95521-B-95-Standard-Body-Series/302960985537?epid=1156441929&hash=item4689e1c5c1:g:LNgAAOSwV4Ba9zeO:rk:1:pf:0

Sarge

Yeah, those 70 amp Cole-Hersee switches aren't cheap, but if you take one apart they are quite well built compared to most modern offerings. It is safer, the way those are built with all that heavy battery wiring to use a HD relay instead of relying on the switch to carry the current. That one, with some De-Oxit from Caig, would probably clean up and work with a bit of effort unless the guts are totally corroded. One benefit of using a relay is to provide the starter side of that generator with more amps to get the engine rolling versus overheating the contacts in the key switch. 

Sarge

• Like 1

Achto

Check with @new2horses. He had some switches that he was selling.

• Like 2

new2horses
20 hours ago, Achto said:

Check with @new2horses. He had some switches that he was selling.

Thanks for the plug Dan, I do have a few of the Cole-Hersee switches as referenced in the above link. As noted they ain't cheap, but are the EXACT switch used back in the day. Mine are $40.00 shipped to your door. Just PM me here and I'll be happy to send you one. David

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I called my local Parts Plus chain store. I was looking for the above-mentioned Cole Hersee number but it was going to take them quite a while to get it.

I wanted to get the 867 up and running while I had the time off for this four-day weekend so I asked them what other options they had.

I wasn't looking for originality on this tractor and I do have to completely rewire an anyways so the terminal end type doesn't matter to me.

They showed me a Standard part number US14.

Universal replacement switch for older equipment including farm tractors.

Seems like it would be a good replacement for this or other applications for our horses as well. I paid around $22 for it.

gwest_ca

Noticed it carries a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

Garry

• Thanks 1

953 nut
31 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Noticed it carries a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty.

Garry

Don'k know if that would work out for us, I'm sure some of us drive our :wh: much more than 36,000 miles in three years!   :ychain:

• Haha 2