elcamino/wheelhorse

Engine oil

elcamino/wheelhorse

All my life I have used straight 30 wt in all my lawn and garden equipment. I have been buying the Shell in gallon size. Today I went to my local auto parts store to pick up oil. All straight 30 wt in gallon marked for diesel engines, had a somewhat " what the what " discussion with the manager . All 30 wt gallons are for diesel , has been a long time ! Buffalo chips . 30 wt in quarts only. I know I purchased the 30 wt Shell brand in gallon this summer. Anyone know where the 30 wt Shell gallons sold now ?  

pfrederi

Diesel oil is actually better for your older engines.  it has ZDDP (i think) and additive that prevents wear on your flat valve tappets.  It was taken out of regular oil as it plugs catalytic converters and cars use bearings now for the valve train.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Jim, any motor oil being made today is a better quality lubricant than was being sold when my :wh: were built. Changing the oil on a regular basis is more important than the brand of oil.

I have been using "Traveler Diesel Engine Oil 30" from Tractor supply for several years. Price is good and is good quality.

804739?$456$

Found this from AMSOIL;

• Diesel oil typically contains more robust detergency additives than gasoline oils

It is safe to use a diesel oil in your gasoline engine, provided the diesel oil meets the appropriate specifications and viscosity requirements of your engine. For example, if your gas engine calls for a motor oil that meets the API SN specification, you can safely use a diesel oil of the correct viscosity that meets the API SN spec.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Thanks guys , just seemed strange that the Shell 30 wt that I had bought this summer disappeared from the shelf. I change oil in everything twice a year , cars are every 3000 miles except the El which is usually once a year at 1000 miles or less. ( this when it is state inspected ) .

• Like 3

pfrederi
17 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Thanks guys , just seemed strange that the Shell 30 wt that I had bought this summer disappeared from the shelf. I change oil in everything twice a year , cars are every 3000 miles except the El which is usually once a year at 1000 miles or less. ( this when it is state inspected ) .

Probably not so strange.  new Last 25 years or more cars use multi grade oil very little demand for st 30w  How many gallons do they sell for lawn mowers...most people who need 30w for older stuff probably by cheap brands,  Shell needs big volume to make it worth while...They  seem to be focused on rotella

elcamino/wheelhorse

Rotella was the brand I was buying . I don't buy cheap oil only name brand ( not Uncle Harry's special blend) , rather be safe than sorry.

Razorback

Here’s something for you.....

Several years ago when I bought my 1995 PowerStroke, of course I became interested in diesel engine oil. After checking out Rotella, Delo, and others (specs, not glossy ads), I took those specs and visited my one of my favorite places.... Tractor Supply Company. I compared their Traveller 15W-40 specs with the others.....waddayouknow..... same.... so I bought a 5-gallon pail of it, with the thought that NOBODY can afford to make a crummy oil, and I would follow up later with at least 2 oil samples and have Blackstone Labs analyze them and see what they come back with. Extremely good results! And I have had many repeat analyses since.

So, I can vouch for THAT oil.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk
8 minutes ago, Razorback said:

Here’s something for you.....

Several years ago when I bought my 1995 PowerStroke, of course I became interested in diesel engine oil. After checking out Rotella, Delo, and others (specs, not glossy ads), I took those specs and visited my one of my favorite places.... Tractor Supply Company. I compared their Traveller 15W-40 specs with the others.....waddayouknow..... same.... so I bought a 5-gallon pail of it, with the thought that NOBODY can afford to make a crummy oil, and I would follow up later with at least 2 oil samples and have Blackstone Labs analyze them and see what they come back with. Extremely good results! And I have had many repeat analyses since.

So, I can vouch for THAT oil.

See if the manufacturer's name is on the jug.

Back during a previous job ( @elcamino/wheelhorse:) @ Napa , The house brand Napa labeled oil was made by Ashland which makes Valvoline. One day I grabbed a bottle of each and read the labels. Only difference I saw was the Napa oil said "meets manufacturer's requirements" while the Valvoline bottle said " exceeds" 

I buy the 30W Rotella at Tractor Supply or Runnings when it's on sale. Think I got 4 gallons on the shelf. Try a truck stop if your having trouble finding it.

• Haha 1

clueless
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Jim, any motor oil being made today is a better quality lubricant than was being sold when my :wh: were built. Changing the oil on a regular basis is more important than the brand of oil.

I have been using "Traveler Diesel Engine Oil 30" from Tractor supply for several years. Price is good and is good quality.

804739?$456$

Found this from AMSOIL;

• Diesel oil typically contains more robust detergency additives than gasoline oils

It is safe to use a diesel oil in your gasoline engine, provided the diesel oil meets the appropriate specifications and viscosity requirements of your engine. For example, if your gas engine calls for a motor oil that meets the API SN specification, you can safely use a diesel oil of the correct viscosity that meets the API SN spec.

If you have a Tractor Supply, but it, put it in, change it every 25 to 30 hr, unless there are other problems,the engine will out last you :thumbs:.

• Like 4

formariz

Tractor Supply also has that oil in 30W Non-Detergent. I been using that one. Which is better? Tought all these non filtered engines needed non-detergent.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
5 hours ago, squonk said:

Back during a previous job ( @elcamino/wheelhorse:) @ Napa , The house brand Napa labeled oil was made by Ashland which makes Valvoline. One day I grabbed a bottle of each and read the labels. Only difference I saw was the Napa oil said "meets manufacturer's requirements" while the Valvoline bottle said " exceeds" 

I buy the 30W Rotella at Tractor Supply or Runnings when it's on sale. Think I got 4 gallons on the shelf. Try a truck stop if your having trouble finding it.

I thought you had a job making the jugs or labels.

• Haha 3

aghead

Everything that I own has Shell Rotella 15w40 in it and ....now this 40 yo wheel horse drinks it. 

I've bought it in the drums through the years. Now just the gallon, sometime 2.5 gallon jugs. 

Tested hard and proven the best in my opinion. (In my diesels and gas engines of all size/age)

Razorback
6 hours ago, squonk said:

Made by Warren Distribution

Edit: Used to be made by Warren Distribution, apparently now made by Martin Lubricants. Adding some Data Sheets that I got from the TSC site in the reviews for the 15W-40 Traveller oil (5-gallon pail)

33df800b-a278-5125-a1a4-5f9808cbbe31.jpeg

592769a4-ba96-535c-a4ad-a344228f552d.jpeg

Edited by Razorback
Update

ebinmaine
21 hours ago, formariz said:

Tractor Supply also has that oil in 30W Non-Detergent. I been using that one. Which is better? Tought all these non filtered engines needed non-detergent.

I was told the same thing many many moons ago. Maybe 30 years?

at the time the information was that if there was no oil filter available the dirt should be able to settle into the bottom of the pan and not be picked up by the rotating engine over and over and over again.

The oil nowadays is of such good quality by almost all of the manufacturers and sellers that I'm not sure it matters much if you use non detergent or detergent. There are as many different schools of thought on this one is there are stars in the sky. I believe the current Wheelhorse / Toro recommendation is for detergent oil in all of their engines.

What matters is how often you change your oil.

• Like 5

1940willys

Even the diesel oils don't have the ZDDP additives in the quantities that they did 6 years ago. I'll  run Penzoil 30wt with some Rizolon in the summer and a Penzoil 10w 30 and a splash Rizolon in the cold winter.

Elkskin's mower junkyard

I been buying farm and fleet brand oil by cases cheap. Usually between 15 to 20 bucks per case of 12. This store brand is made by Mobil 1. Before this I was buying national oil from Menards. They discontinued that. Now in some of my engines I run small engine oil that I get at local mower shop. But that is only for the hard working engines (like my 71 sears ss14). All oil I use is 10 W 30. Its also what the local shop uses is 10w 30. 

Howie

Oil is one of those subjects that gets all sorts of opinions. But I still remember from the days of going

to the update classes and one of the instructors telling us that using the 10w30 could be done but to

expect more consumption. I believe by and large these air cooled engines run hotter than water cooled

brethren. Oil is just not for lubrication but cooling also. We do not always think of that.

Yes most of the ZDDP has been removed from modern oils. I am not to sure how big of a problem that

is in these engines, spring pressure is not that high on these and the cam and rappers would be the 

affected parts. I know on at non roller cams it is by and large when spring pressure goes up the 

problems arise, like 130 to 140 seat pressure which is way more than we experience on these.

So saying all that I have only used HD 30 in my stuff for years and 10w30 in winter. Does not mean

it is 100 percent correct just what happens here. I know a worn engine would not get the multi weight

here due to the increased clearances 

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
19 hours ago, 1940willys said:

Even the diesel oils don't have the ZDDP additives in the quantities that they did 6 years ago. I'll  run Penzoil 30wt with some Rizolon in the summer and a Penzoil 10w 30 and a splash Rizolon in the cold winter.

I'm with you there not sure if it actually helps but it can't hurt...https://rislone.com/product/3x-concentrated-engine-oil-supplement-with-zinc-treatment/...added to my High Mileage Castrol GTX 10w30 in my Onans, my '79 stock big block C30 and even my solid roller cammed  406 SBC.

bds1984

ZDDP may be reduced as time goes on in favor of other additives to take its place in providing wear protection.  I wouldn't lose any sleep over it being reduced.  On a side note, I believe the reduction in ZDDP did not apply to 40 grade gasoline engine oils....

Howie

I believe the ZDDP was reduced because it does not play well with the catalytic convertors and not needed with the roller 

cams they use today. Where the rode on the cams they needed it for the lubrication. 

• Like 2

ZXT

Being into old cars, I've heard all my life that non-roller cams need ZDDP (Which stands for Zinc, and another impossible to remember term that I don't care to look up) to help prevent wear and premature failure. It makes sense to me, and since I have always run oil with ZDDP in it and haven't had any cam issues, I'll swear by it.

It gets hot in Texas, and for that reason, a lot of the older cars we have around get 10w-40 or even 20w-50. I've always liked Castrol GTX oil, with a bottle of STP oil treatment added in with each oil change, since it contains ZDDP.  Valvoline's "Racing oil" line also has ZDDP in it and a lot of car guys I know run it. 

I've never added ZDDP to a small engine before, but it may be beneficial. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
7 hours ago, ZXT said:

Being into old cars, I've heard all my life that non-roller cams need ZDDP (Which stands for Zinc, and another impossible to remember term that I don't care to look up) to help prevent wear and premature failure. It makes sense to me, and since I have always run oil with ZDDP in it and haven't had any cam issues, I'll swear by it.

It gets hot in Texas, and for that reason, a lot of the older cars we have around get 10w-40 or even 20w-50. 

I've never added ZDDP to a small engine before, but it may be beneficial. 

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

7 hours ago, Howie said:

I believe the ZDDP was reduced because it does not play well with the catalytic convertors and not needed with the roller 

cams they use today. Where the rode on the cams they needed it for the lubrication. 

Yes I work in an aftermarket exhaust facility making/selling everything from manifolds converters mufflers tailpipes and gaskets brackets and hanger, yes the ZDDP does indeed clog the precious metal and ceramic catalyst in the converters and that in turn caused the OEs to have it reduced as well move to roller lifters or followers for reduced friction...i use the Rislone as an extra cushion with the higher spring pressures of a high lift solid cam in my street rod, and hopefully help keep that 40 year old hydraulic flat tappet from wearing any more in the big block dump truck, I do believe any modern motor oil is way better than any thing they produced decades ago, but with today's tighter engine clearances/tolerances the need for heavier weight oils is a no go.

• Like 1

Bucko

If you are worried about the need for ZDDP (zinc), google it; you can buy it as an additive, and put it into your oil. However, with today's synthetics and better oil than that of yesteryear, I would not worry about the lack of ZDDP.

I've stuck with Rotella Synthetic in my 2003 Chevy Duramax diesel . It has just over 209K, and runs as great as my 4 stroke lawn mowers which get the same oil.

Edited by Bucko

bds1984

Another point worth mentioning, metallurgy has improved greatly since ZDDP was first used sixty or so years ago and too much ZDDP in the oil will have adverse effects and become corrosive.  I do know from used oil analyses I've performed throughout the years that molybdnum is being used in place of ZDDP.  I am of the opinion that as long as the oil being used is a current SAE rating and proper grade, there is no sleep to be lost as long as one follows proper service intervals.  Just pick your flavor and run with it. 

If one wants to spend some time reading through an oil enthusiast website, www.bobistheoilguy.com is an easy site to read through and spend hours lurking around in.  

• Like 1