peter lena

improving snow blower

ebinmaine

Nicely done Sir.

Impressive how something so simple and inexpensive makes a chore so much more enjoyable.

Thanks for posting.

peter lena

adding to this, I said I was moving things around to get it better, I used a 1_ 1//2" fence post squeeze clamp to put on lift rod, also used a korn clamp that holds piping 2 ways, to back up the squeeze clamp. used 2 , 3/8 " threaded eye bolts at bottom of hood mounting holes. eyes inside of frame , under lower front hood edge.  once I got it all in place , I backed off the lift rod clamps, just snug, with blower raised, now hammer tap the two clamps forward , hitting the rear clamp, on the bottom horizontal face, to push the other to increase spring tension. found this to really make the blower lift ,a non issue. the eye bolts really secured and separated the lift springs. just an idea that makes blower lifting easy, pete 

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0252 (1).JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

peter lena

as all trials go ,I also tried a " riser  clamp " 1  1/4" https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/02163897 in place of the post clamp, to hold springs , cut off the excess side width, after the bolt holes. used eye bolts in place of bolts to hold springs. I still use the " korn clamp " conduit bracket to back up the riser clamp ,as a good driving tension point. I will send a picture ,asap, going eye to eye with spring tension is much smoother , blower weight lift now is about 20 lbs., on lift handle. dr  Franken horse. 

peter lena

pictures of riser clamp, with eye bolts for spring lift to raise snow blower. just adjusting with the change made it easier, lubricated all friction points. without question, springs closer to heavy blower make for an easier lift, pete

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Kcuhc
On 12/1/2018 at 10:14 AM, peter lena said:

pictures of riser clamp, with eye bolts for spring lift to raise snow blower. just adjusting with the change made it easier, lubricated all friction points. without question, springs closer to heavy blower make for an easier lift, pete

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

You have great ideas that really work.   Kcuhc  newbe.

• Like 1

peter lena

hello kcuhc , glad to have you onboard, as you can see we all have issues and improvements to make on our horses. there are nagging areas, and other spots that you just want to improve. that snow blower lift area , will definitely test your left arm strength in use. interesting,  since I added the springs and adjusted its cycle function  , its much smoother ,and lift effort is a non issue. I was looking at the fix from every angle, it was hiding in plain site. the chute angle ball ,was another , improvement , that works easily with mittens. adjusting the lift springs to the end of the lift tube skid , really takes advantage of basic leverage, I just kept making changes till it worked with very little effort. I regularly talk about lubrication, at friction points, because it works. if I can help , let me know , or ask the site , good wrenching , pete 

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I made my three assist springs from old garage door springs.      I connected  all three to a rod installed in the mid mount attach a matic.    The blower could be lifted with one finger.

Since then I have gone to all hydro lift tractors.

• Like 4

Steven_McGivney
On 2/22/2019 at 1:08 PM, Ed Kennell said:

I made my three assist springs from old garage door springs.      I connected  all three to a rod installed in the mid mount attach a matic.    The blower could be lifted with one finger.

Since then I have gone to all hydro lift tractors.

Ed, I just got on here, I've been getting all kinds of great info from you gentlemen, I have a 418-8, I bought in 1985-6,  I got a single stage blower when I bought it and mowing deck,,, I have all the original equipment,, I've replaced things as needed.  I just scored a 2stage blower,, heavy, I got a lift assist spring with it..I guess it attaches to the foot support bar, and the lifting rod.. Do I use a eye bolt to the foot support bar.. to attach it...steve 

Steven_McGivney

Guy's , I'm knew on here but have been a frequent reader.  I have a 418-8, 1985, I also bought a single stage blower with it, they didn't have 2 stages at that time.  I just yesterday drove 233 miles to get a 2 stage blower,, its a monster... I got a lift assist spring with it. period... the lift rod has a connection I assume for it,, and I guess the foot rest rod is the attachment for it on the other end,,, do I get a eye bolt for the foot rest rod,,,I would think that would make it easier to attach everything and then adjust tension,,,????

lynnmor

Download the manual from this site.  There is a very heavy spring mounted vertically near the right front of the tractor.  There is a belt tension spring and an assist spring underneath.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, Steven_McGivney said:

new on here

:text-welcomeconfetti:

peter lena

@ebinmaine thanks for the memories !  car hood springs , remember  those ?  if you can get some they are like the perfect  lift for a plow set up . also help out on a blower , use an eye bolt for a solid mount spot , pete

• Like 1