pfrederi

8 speed dignostic help

pfrederi

I posted teh other day about my bad day with a C141-8

Got her in where i can work on her. 

You cannot turn the input pulley by hand even with gear shift and hilo in neutral  positions.  you can push her but there is a lot of resistance and the input pulley still wont move   The gear you can see down the shifter hole moves when you push her.  You an shift her in to gear and engage teh hi lo but things lock up.  Jacked up the rear wheels spin easily...in opposite directions as an open differential should.

I am going to put  on a spare tranny so I can get this summer horse into the right winter nap location as i need the space in the shop.

Any ideal what may have broken in teh tranny???

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine

I don't have the answer but I'm sure the others will.

Following along to see what develops.

Good luck.

squonk

stevasaurus

Paul, sounds like your differential is OK.  That doesn't leave too much.  Guessing something broke off and is jamming the gears...sounds like something on the splined shaft.  I had a #1533 ball bearing brake loose and it sent 12 ball bearings shooting around looking for a place to hide.  Could be something like that...you would still be able to turn the wheels.  You can see some of the balls in this picture.  I don't mean to say this is what happened, but it is something like this or a tooth that would do what you have.  :eusa-think: 

702 transmission 005.jpg

• Like 2

pfrederi
Just now, stevasaurus said:

Paul, sounds like your differential is OK.  That doesn't leave too much.  Guessing something broke off and is jamming the gears...sounds like something on the splined shaft.  I had a #1533 ball bearing brake loose and it sent 12 ball bearings shooting around looking for a place to hide.  Could be something like that...you would still be able to turn the wheels.  You can see some of the balls in this picture.  I don't mean to say this is what happened, but it is something like this or a tooth that would do what you have.  :eusa-think: 

702 transmission 005.jpg

I was thinking if i blew a 1533 that there would be a little slop in the rear axle...it is still tight.  I think you are right about a gear tooth or part of the hi/low shifter fork came cast adrift and has jammed in something. 

Got the bad tranny off and hooked up a spare yesterday  Tearing into this one will be down the road a bit...other higher priorities right now.  Will let everyone know what I do find. 

Thank you

• Like 3

stevasaurus

I think the axle would still feel tight.  Remember, that end of the axle is still in an axle gear that fits into the differential casing...the differential may be a little sloppy, but not the axle, and you would have no leverage on the outer end of the axle to find out.  I'm not sure you would even have some in and out Paul.  :bow-blue:  I can tell you this...the sound of those balls getting shot sound like a sling shot tossing them around.  Almost like a pellet gun shooting at a stop sign.

• Like 2

squonk
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

702 transmission 005.jpg

I smell gear oil just looking at that! :blink:

• Like 1

pfrederi
23 minutes ago, squonk said:

I smell gear oil just looking at that! :blink:

To slide off topic why does gear oil smell so bad.  i know they put odorants in gasoline and natural gas but gear oil needs a deodorant.

• Haha 1

stevasaurus

You are not talking bad about my ancestors are you???  You might give off an oder yourself if you were underground for millions of years. Besides, I kind of like that smell.  :banana-linedance::banana-linedance:It's the water in it that smells bad.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

To slide off topic why does gear oil smell so bad.  i know they put odorants in gasoline and natural gas but gear oil needs a deodorant.

High pressure grease has a high sulfur content, probably the same for gear oil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, 953 nut said:

High pressure grease has a high sulfur content, probably the same for gear oil.

:text-yeahthat:

Here's an excerpt from a website called Bob is the oil guy

Sulfur compounds are part of the extreme pressure lubrication additive pack needed by hypoid gears. Hypoid gears are found in rear-drive differential ring-and-pinion sets where the centerline of the pinion is offset below the centerline of the ring gear- it allows for the driveshaft to be lower and the floor of the car to be flatter. The gears themselves therefore are sort of halfway between normal straight-cut bevel gears and a worm gear. That means that as the teeth engage and release, they brush across each other while under high pressure. Special additives are needed to keep the specially hardened surfaces from degrading under that kind of contact. 

• Like 2