giddyap

"Space Race" 50 Anniversary

giddyap

On December 21 1968, we surprise the Soviets and take the lead in the race to the moon. The Saturn V which today is still the largest and most powerful rocket ever has only two unmanned but successful test flights. The next scheduled launch is to test the command and lunar modules in low earth orbit but they are not ready. So NASA makes a bold move and decides to orbit the moon without the equipment. Frank Borman will command the mission with two pilots, James Lovell and William Anders. The missing equipment will prove vital in the future by saving the crew of Apollo 13. This mission is to explore landing sites it is also the first time a life form escapes earth. Unexpectedly on Christmas Eve, our Astronauts "discover" earth as it rises above the horizon of another heavenly body     

260px-NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg

Edited by giddyap
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Ed Kennell

Soooo, planet earth is only flat on one side?   Gotta be fake news, I'm sure it's flat on both sides.  :confusion-confused:

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

WHNJ701

come on now, nobody ever landed on the moon, look at all those staged photos with the reflections in their helmets and all the shadows going wrong directions! it was hoax!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Soooo, planet earth is only flat on one side?   Gotta be fake news, I'm sure it's flat on both sides.  :confusion-confused:

Yep - There's even an International Flat Earth Society, so it must be true...

BTW - There is also an International Stop Continental Drift Society as well...

:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Image result for flat earth society certificate             :ROTF:

Jonathan, The early NASA Astronauts were without a doubt the bravest men our nation has ever been blessed with.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

Razorback

There is a guy that I come into contact with at one of my customer’s raised-floor data centers that is 1000% sure that the earth is flat and that we have all been deceived about the sphere-ness of things. It is quite amusing to sit and listen to his blather. I mean no offense to flat-earth believers.

(Poor guy.... very personable otherwise. I cannot imagine being so confused between the ears. He is a conflicted individual.)

Edited by Razorback
  • Haha 3

roadapples

If the earth was flat cats would have everything pushed off by now. Anyone who's ever had one knows what I'm talking about...:ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

953 nut
40 minutes ago, roadapples said:

If the earth was flat cats would have everything pushed off by now. Anyone who's ever had one knows what I'm talking about...:ROTF:

That is Sooooooo True!

cat.png.0ccb0db72471bb99dd71a0c10442db9d.png

• Haha 4

giddyap

Now Class, Listen Up....With all the chit-chat what have we learned other than the earth is flat, continental drift and man never laid a foot on the moon. Since the beginning of time, even the Neanderthal man had dreams of going to the moon. I know because the extinct species is in my DNA. In my youth, the news was always about the Soviets achieving another first in space. Apollo 8 lifted the entire nation to the greatest heights in a war-torn era of protests. The "Space Race" proved we could achieve anything.    "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.” JFK

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Exactly, what...

are "the other things" we're gonna do, and when are we gonna do them? :scratchead:  

giddyap
5 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: Exactly, what...

are "the other things" we're gonna do, and when are we gonna do them? :scratchead:  

JFK is long gone. I guess the answer to your question lies with him on the other side. 

WHNJ701

how come no other nation has made to the moon?  how come we haven't been back even if we ever went? you have Elon musk now going to  Mars wouldn't you think he would practice going to the moon first?

giddyap
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

how come no other nation has made to the moon?  

how come we haven't been back even if we ever went?

you have Elon musk now going to  Mars wouldn't you think he would practice going to the moon first?

Alright now, It's great to see inquiring minds. But instead of testing my knowledge, maybe some homework is in order. lol    

WHNJ701

It's all fun, in your first post you mentioned frank borman.  I read alot him in his retirement he owned alot of rare vintage airplanes including a p63 king cobra that he had restored back to flying condition 

roadapples
13 hours ago, jabelman said:

how come no other nation has made to the moon?  how come we haven't been back 

No one there to tax....

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

giddyap
12 hours ago, jabelman said:

It's all fun, in your first post you mentioned frank borman.  I read alot him in his retirement he owned alot of rare vintage airplanes including a p63 king cobra that he had restored back to flying condition 

Of course, it was fun.  P-63 was a rare bird. My favorite(s) both models of the Focke-Wulf

giddyap

I want to comment on the vastness of space. But first I included a photo of the Saturn V to keep your attention. Everyone knows the navigational challenge of hitting a moving target but I included a picture of it anyway. Here is the chart that blew my mind.  

Scale 1:300 million

Diameters

Earth 1.4 inch, Moon .5 inch,  Sun 15 feet

Distances

Earth to moon  (239,000 miles) = 4.2 feet - Earth to Sun 94 million miles= 1650 feet or .3 of a mile

Now just put these dots on a fifteen-foot wall and imagine the sun down the street. Impressed? I was

natasha_with_Saturn_V_good_photo_grande.jpg

Apollo 8 trajectory.jpg

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

I want to know what is really on the dark side of the moon!:wacko:

giddyap
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

This is all I know, keep it secret

Image result for stonehenge on the moon

Edited by giddyap
  • Haha 2

Razorback
2 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

A whole bunch of darkness..... duh!!! :)

Maybe some day, somebody will tell us what they see when they fall over the edge of the light side..... sure hope they have a flashlight with them!

Edited by Razorback
  • Haha 1

WHNJ701
2 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Pink Floyd told me there really is no dark side of the moon matter of fact it's all dark...

• Like 1

giddyap

On this day 50 years ago, Apollo 8 would be halfway to the moon. Escape velocity was 25,000 mph, the craft would have to rendezvous with a moving target some 239,000 miles away, slow down and hit an orbit altitude of 69 miles. All calculations would prove accurate simply because it would be 4 decades until common core math is invented Related image

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

AMC RULES

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
15 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Best news announcer ever!!