Gospelsinger91

How many forward gears on a 67' 1054?

Gospelsinger91

Just done some "horse-trading" and wound up with this 1967 1057 Wheel Horse mower/tractor.
As far as I can tell it's almost all, if not all original. Motor runs great, transmission seems to work well. It does feel like the belt(s) slip in reverse, but it's a solid pull in forward, no slipping at all.
The belts all appear to be the originals too, lol.
My question is: has this thing got more than the one forward gear. it's a torque-monster, but slow as molasses. 
Thanks in advance for any knowledgeable answer.
G.S.

953 nut

:WRS:

The 1057 has three forward gears and one reverse gear. If it was a 1067 there would be a Hi/Lo shifter resulting in six forward speeds and two reverse. In low range it is VERY slow. I have attached Owner Manual downloads for both so you can see what the differences are. Either way they are a great tractor.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Ed Kennell
8 hours ago, Gospelsinger91 said:

. It does feel like the belt(s) slip in reverse

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: G.S.

When a gear drive tractor appears to be "slipping in one direction or intermittingly ,     I would suspect one of the drive keys in the axles or the transmission input pulley is damaged or missing.

• Like 2

Gospelsinger91

Here's some pics of my new baby.  The shifter only goes in forward and reverse. That would be: Reverse to the right, neutral in the center and foreword to the right.  Is there another place to change to low, med or high range?
 Other than that it runs great and has torque out the yahoo. It must be in low range if there's more than one.
Thanks for the welcome(s). You'll see/hear more from me as I restore this workhorse back to ship-shape!!
Tommy 

20181123_170949.jpg

20181123_171017.jpg

20181123_171003.jpg

20181123_171027.jpg

20181123_171056.jpg

20181123_171106.jpg

• Like 4

wallfish

There should be 3 forward gears and reverse. The shift pattern is like a sideways H. seems yours is having trouble going into 2 of them. Start by pulling out the shifter and have a look see in there.

Newer models with an "8 speed" trans have a high and low range.

• Excellent 1

Gospelsinger91

Thank you so much, I'll investigate tomorrow to see if I can get it in one of the others... If not, We'll just have that "Look-see".  To be a 51 year old tractor I thing it's in pretty good shape. It cuts grass like crazy.
Gonna be fun restoring it.

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:               Based on the pictures you have a three speed and there is no Hi/Lo shifter. This thread should be helpful to you when looking at the shift lever.

Gospelsinger91

Thx Nut,
I couldn't stand it... so I went out tonight and tried to get it to go in the other two forward gears.... Nothing doing. It shifts flawlessly and "feels" snug, not sloppy when it goes in 1st or reverse.
Guess I'm gonna have to see what's up. Hoping I wouldn't have to, but...Oh well.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

These transmissions are very easy to open and work on and the folks here know them extraordinarily well.

You'll have little to no issue repairing it.

You should have reverse towards the seat and on the left. 1st towards the seat and on the right.

Center the shift lever and push forward to find the 2nd and 3rd gear locations.

Perhaps there's an issue with a shift fork.

Parts are available from several of us members and also from Redsquare vendors and many other online sources.

Welcome to Redsquare!

Good luck and ask questions!

• Like 2

rjg854

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:Gospelsinger91  at least you've found the right place to get the answers you need to fix your problem. Maybe this guy might be able to help you out  @stevasaurus  he's our chief resident guru for transmissions.  There are others also who may be able to steer you in the right direction.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Looking at the back of the tractor, you have a standard 3-speed Uni-Drive transmission. The shift pattern is a sideways H pattern with shifter only moving forward and back in neutral with no resistance. With clutch depressed, move lever back and to the left is reverse, back and to the right is 1st. Move lever forward and to the right is 2nd and forward and to the left is 3rd. It appears the you have an issue where your lever is not being allowed to move forward.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 3

gwest_ca

When you remove the shifter try to do it with it in neutral.

There is a donut on the shifter that the dog-point set screw enters. The donut is sometimes welded to the shifter but most have a spiral pin to lock it to the shifter. The pin shares the same hole as the set screw. If that pin shears the shifter will rotate instead of sliding the shift forks. So make sure the donut is solid on the shifter.

Garry

• Like 3

953 nut

Looking at your pictures I noticed a cover in front of the shift lever is bent down. The cover could be preventing your shift lever from moving up to second and third gears. Try removing he cover.

1305901893_1057shiftlever.jpg.f988e37ceb575abd33c054065933cb39.jpg

• Like 2

Gospelsinger91

Thanks everyone for your "welcomes" and your help. I'll definitely be a "Fixture" here, lol.
I want to make this thing as good as I can. I plan on it lasting longer than me...:D

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Trina and I have 3 here from 1967.

Hers is a fully restored 657.

There's an 867 awaiting some attention which will likely be a mid mount grader tractor.

And I'm working on a 1267 to make it into our yard plow/dozer rig.

You'll do well to put time into that tractor.

It'll happily return it to you.

• Like 1

Gospelsinger91

Ok,   **  Update**

I pulled the shifter with it neutral...

Everything appears "in place and intact",

However the rear shifting forks will not slide. The for word/reverse forks are slick as butter.  Any thoughts?

Seems to work well in 1st gear, ya just ain't gonna be in a hurry.

Tommy

• Like 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Gospelsinger91 said:

Seems to work well in 1st gear, ya just ain't gonna be in a hurry.

It's good that you have a positive attitude...

Perhaps @stevasaurus can help you out...

stevasaurus

Tommy...Welcome to Red Square  :occasion-xmas: 

I want you to remove that plate that John mentioned, pull out your shifter again and take a good picture looking down the hole.  Take a picture while in neutral, one in reverse and one in 1st and post them here.  What does your oil look like??  It sounds like one of the shift rails is rusted in place, but that usually happens to both...not to one. 

While not your transmission, this one works the same as yours.  You will not see the shift forks in this video, but you will see the fork gears and how they move.  Check out this video to see how things work inside. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Gospelsinger91

Steve, I have not got to open this back up as we started getting some rain. However I did notice that the oil looked a little "stressed". I noticed a little bit of signs of moisture in the case. Could be from temp changes, or could be from sitting idle for years, hence...possibly stuck as you suggested. I tried to move that other shifting fork and it's definitely stuck.

I'm sure it needs flushing / cleaning, and new gear oil or whatever it requires.

I await your expert advice.  Thx.

Tommy

ebinmaine

Tommy there is something you could try.

Get a gallon of diesel or kerosene.

Empty as much of the transmission as you can by removing the drain plug AND lifting the front as much as you can SAFELY do so.

There's a bump inside the transmission that holds back fluid in the front half.

Add 2 quarts of diesel and reassemble to drive.

Take a spin around the yard doing a few figure 8s in forward and reverse.

Maybe 15 minutes (or more if you're just looking for seat time).

Drain.

Repeat.

Fill with proper oil.

It's not super likely that will free up the stuck parts.... but you never know.... but it will make it much more pleasant and clean to work on when you open it up.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

:text-yeahthat:maybe even fill it brim full and let soak a few days!

stevasaurus

Whether you fill it with diesel or just add 2 qts, be advised that your seals could start to leak with the thinner material.  Put something under the trans to catch any drips, and instead of driving it, put the horse up on blocks and run it.  Whatever you do, do not force anything, and I would still open it up to clean it out.  :think:

• Excellent 1

Gospelsinger91

Gotcha, I'll be singing in North Carolina tomorrow so it will be later in the week before I can do anything

Tommy

• Like 1