formariz

Engine block heater

formariz

https://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-Tractor-Block-Heater/dp/B00QSF2R3Y/ref=pd_day0_hl_263_9?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00QSF2R3Y&pd_rd_r=4ce33e64-ee08-11e8-aea6-e10ad1dcec26&pd_rd_w=RtOsu&pd_rd_wg=deudg&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=DTT4Z8VC02CYKKN88DS0&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=DTT4Z8VC02CYKKN88DS0

Ran across this item. It will fit perfectly on the plug in oil pan of my Electro. Since it is stored in a cold area, this would keep oil warm . My question is the following; this is really designed to be immersed in coolant. Will the oil have any adverse effects on the copper element? The ones designed for oil are stainless steel. The ones I found are however maybe a bit too long (5")

• Confused 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

My opinion is that is risky taking something designed for coolant and putting it in oil. Could cause a fire because oil is flammable. What my dad did on one was use a electric heater under the tractor for 15 minutes or so in a closed unheated metal shed it fired up better after that

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

risky taking something designed for coolant and putting it in oil

I'm by NO means an expert on engine heaters.

I do remember that there are coolant heaters that are designed to make the coolant perculate so as to move it throughout the engine.

I'd be leary of using one thinking it might be too hot for an oil system that won't move the fluid as fast or at all.

How about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Zerostart-3400062-Wolverine-Reservoir-Hydraulic/dp/B075ZY28L1

• Like 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, formariz said:

Will the oil have any adverse effects on the copper element?

I wouldn't be as concerned about the heater being damaged as I would the oil being damaged by the high heat. An incandescent lamp or a small space heater under the engine is probably enough. When I lived in central NY I had a 100 watt light hung under the engine and would plug it in while having breakfast. Always started right up with that little warm up. 

• Like 1

JoeM

I looked at this last year for my plow machine. Being 400W, I'm not sure it would be a problem, but it is probably way more than you need. Cost over a buck a day to run for 24. That could be something you turn on a couple hours before you use it.

My real bang for my buck was the battery maintainer, combined with good tune on the Kohler.

If block heat is a definite, Reychem makes a heat style flexible strip that is 60W Mfr #: 317363-000. There are also magnetic blocks that seem to have good reviews. Also, there are thermo outlets that turn on below 30 something degrees.

One intriguing idea I seen on the square was an electric blanket draped over the engine area.

• Like 1

squonk

I use Kats magnetic block heaters from Napa. I stick one on my hydro in the C 160 and 2 on my Power King hyd oil tank.

https://www.amazon.com/Kats-1155-Watt-Magnetic-Heater/dp/B000I8TPFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542890075&sr=8-2&keywords=kats+magnetic+block+heater

• Like 3

ebinmaine
42 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

had a 100 watt light hung under the engine

Never tried it myself but I've heard multiple times of putting an old heavy quilt over the engine and leaving said 100 watt incandescent lamp hanging under the whole deal.

• Like 1

cschannuth

My dad always put a 100W bulb under the hood on cold nights.  He'd place it below the battery near the engine block to help keep both warmer.  It seemed to do the trick.

• Like 2

formariz
2 hours ago, OILUJ52 said:

I looked at this last year for my plow machine. Being 400W, I'm not sure it would be a problem, but it is probably way more than you need. Cost over a buck a day to run for 24. That could be something you turn on a couple hours before you use it.

That would be the idea, to turn it on about 30 minutes before turning on engine. Oil breaks down at 275 degrees, but I wonder if 400 watts for that period of time would take it that high. The benefit of this particular one would be its size and the fact that becomes part of engine.

KC9KAS

I think I would go this route....

OOPS...Sorry @squonk

Kat's Engine Heaters Magnetic Heater, 200W

SKU # 19195899
191958?$456$

Product price

$36.99

Was $37.99
Save $1.
Edited by KC9KAS
  • Like 2

skrusins

I use a old trouble light with a 40watt bulb and throw a kitchen rug over the hood.

Sarge

I've used those silicone pad heaters before, they work great and will heat the oil up pretty quickly. Last one was on an old Samurai I had that had to start/perform regardless of the weather - it was sort of a local "rescue truck" for winter storms that the county would call when someone got stranded. Just make certain the surface is perfectly clean for the pad to stick - mine was on the oil pan for over 5yrs and never blinked once - it was a must for a high pressure/high volume oil pump on a radical engine. Nice thing about the pad heaters is their size - it won't interfere with anything else on the tractor versus the magnetic types of which some are pretty large.

Sarge