JoeB

Synthetic oil?

JoeB

Has anyone used synthetic oil in their horse?  I'm thinking it might make for better starting and running in the cold.

thanks,

job

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti::wwp:I've always used a  straight 30 weight oil 

in all my kohler motors. 

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

If it's a old engine DO NOT RUN SYNTHETIC OIL. Synthetic is smaller particles will make engines smoke / or more smoke on worn engines. Now if you have a rebuilt engine been bored out go for it after break in. NEVER USE SYNTHETIC TO BREAK ENGINES IN RINGS WILL NOT SEAT

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHNJ701

10-30 conventional in everything.  I had an old briggs I put Lucas no smoke in once, it cleared it up.  I haven't heard any benefits of synthetic in small engines, I don't even use it my vehicles 

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
43 minutes ago, jabelman said:

10-30 conventional in everything.  I had an old briggs I put Lucas no smoke in once, it cleared it up.  I haven't heard any benefits of synthetic in small engines, I don't even use it my vehicles 

:text-yeahthat:

Tankman

30w unless a long cold spell, then 10w30 always conventional. I'm with TheTool Crib on this subject, "never synthetic":handgestures-thumbupright:

Particularly if you are following a PM (preventative maintenance) schedule. 

Why spend the extra loot? At Camp Lejeune motor pool we had 30w Texaco, if you preferred we had 30w Texaco, for combat vehicles we used 30w Texaco.

On extra night duty we invented Jiffy Lube! We used 30w Texaco! Bring your car and a six pack, oil change, high tech 30w Texaco!

With three grandsons, our PM schedule runs double time! Keeps the brats boys busy doing something nice worthwhile. 

Better than playing Nintendo games, I think. :wacko:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

JoeM

I use it in all the pressurized oil system engines, and I have used it in the old Koehler Engine too. No issues.

I do know we had switched to synthetic in pump gear boxes at work and they ran a good bit cooler. Transfers the heat better.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@Tankman Sounds like the government bought a freight trail load of Texaco 30 W oil!

• Like 1

peter lena

oiluj52, rebuilt a lot of gear drives and pumps, changed over to royal purple oils, the bearing failures , stopped. first thing was the temperature unit drop, then the electrical power draw was lower, the system was happy. I was too, the oil change ,all but stopped late night call ins for pump failures. that's only me, pete

• Like 1

bds1984

As long as you run the appropriate grade oil, it really makes no difference.  I usually run 10W30 or 15W40 synthetic year round in all of my Wheel Horses (some with newly rebuilt engines and others with over a thousand on the clock) up to a brand new 2015 Simplicity with 5W30 syn.  Before everyone here gets their undergarments in a bunch, yes, I have performed used oil analysis in the past on engines running synthetic with no issues what-so-ever.  What people get so worked up over synthetics is they have an extreme ability to clean and wind up cleaning sludge/deposits away that were holding back oil from leaking out of an older engine thus condemning running synthetic oils in older engines.  Mainly I run synthetic because I get it cheap at the Kmart in the town I work in and the local independent auto parts store is a perennial favorite I like to support because of a knowledgeable staff and they have a ginger parts counter cat on standby.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Synthetics are very good but cost more.  i would rather use the extra $$ to change the conventional dead dinosaur stuff more often...especially in older engines with no filters....

Tankman

Used to deliver 80w90 Mobil I synthetic gear lube to UPS. Their system database  proved 3 times the life of gear boxes on their trucks.

Engines used non-synthetic oils.