mowerman1193

42" Snowblower Bearing??

mowerman1193

I had a bearing getting kind of hot last time I used my single stage blower.. It's the bearing on the drive shaft that runs the blower shaft goes from the pulley to the gear / chain,, bearing would be the one closest to the pulley.. Looking up parts they show the bearing to being $80-90 ish dollars... I hoping there is a lower cost alternative that someone can share with me..I haven't taken the thing apart yet.. no snow yet so why fix it now.. might as well wait and make the repair out in the blizzard right :lol: .. 

Anyway, looking for suggestions on this repair.. as in maybe tear down tips if any as well as parts source.. 

Thanks in advance for any info you can share,

Kevin

roadapples

@rmaynard  figured this out a while back. It's on here somewhere. Maybe someone can bring it up. Sorry I'm not your guy...

peter lena

I replaced bearings on that shaft also in my 36/42 single stage blower, took bearings over to a local bearing distributor , and matched them up , for a much cheaper price . that is a light mount flange bearing , should be easy to find. sorry I don't have the details  , but it was a simple find. also added a finned lock washer on the chain  adjustment slide , stopped chain creep. I am searching , now pete

peter lena

referring to the drive chain adjustment slide, I used these ,https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/87920567,  brand is not important, type/style is, with a fresh bolt and an elastic lock nut , your chain adjustment will stay and not creep. also use a chain and cable spray on that chain /gear , before and after use. lubrication on neglected blower contact points ,really wakes it up, and it runs so much smoother /easier. other questions? just ask , pete

gwest_ca

Start soaking with a good penetrant now. They can be a bear to get off. Remove set screws if you can to get some in there also.

I do remember the most common bearings are not an exact replacement. To get the proper bearing OD to fit the bearing retainers the ID is for a 7/8" shaft. Your shaft is likely 3/4" and the latest models went to a 7/8" shaft. A common 3/4-7/8 bushing was added to the shaft to make up the difference.

Garry

• Like 1

mowerman1193

Thanks for all the comments.. I haven't even started to tackle this yet.. I may end up waiting until spring and just use my plow blade... getting too cold and I'm too busy with the woodshop orders t the moment.. But I was hoping to be a simple quick fix.. Now that I'm doing some research I find that thing can be a bugger to get apart... I may as well rebuild the whole thing maybe.. could use some new paint etc.. anyway.. I'll keep watching this topic and maybe tackle trying to take it apart little by little over the winter.. with some luck it'll come right apart and I can still use it this year, LOL If not.. it'll be a spring / summer project..and just go through the whole thing..