Jump to content
ZXT

New around here!

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone! Just registered. I have a Wheel Horse GT-14 and a (Can i even mention these around here?) Cub Cadet 1650. Both are hydrostat tractors. 

 

The Cub is currently the mower I use around my place. I got it and my GT-14 from my grandfather who has collected and used Cub tractors longer than I've been alive. I've been dealing with some gremlins on the cub, which prompted me to pull out my dad's C-141. It hadn't been run in around 10 years due to carb issues and having multiple other projects. I slapped on a new $17 ebay carburetor that I had, greased it and it fired up and mowed great. 

 

For some reason, this spiked my motivation to do something with my GT-14. When I got the thing, all of the sheet metal and the engine was off. I bolted it mostly back together about 3 years ago and stopped at that for whatever reason. All of the plastics are in pitiful shape; the fuel fitting is broken off of the gas tank, the plastic around the instruments is in bad shape, and I don't think I have the plastic that goes around the hydrostat controls. The wiring harness is also gone, and I don't have a deck or any of the implements for it. 

 

I'd really like to have a mower deck for it at the very minimum, so that it's at least remotely useful. From what I understand, the deck and implements are unique to the GT-14. I plan to build a new wiring harness (I'm an electrician..at least until I get out of college), but I'd like to find an original for the connectors and to use as a basis for length.

 

I suppose my biggest question is what is the likelihood of finding a deck or any parts for this tractor? Wheel Horse tractors seem to be fairly common up north, but not so much here in Texas. I'd love any advice you all may have. 

 

Sorry for the long post! I don't have any pictures at the moment due to it being stored behind my Datsun 260z between it and a fence. 

 

Thanks!

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

:text-welcomeconfetti:You will get a lot of help on this site. Just keep checking back and you will be flooded with a lot of information.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Welcome! I am new here, too. Also a fellow Cub owner (1966 model 123), soon-to-be WH owner (C-160). Joined a little over a week ago?

 

Wife and I will be driving right by Tinker tomorrow on our way to Red Rock Canyon..... Wave as we go by!

 

 

IMG_3281.JPG

Edited by Razorback
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Thanks, Don! I'll be sure to keep checking back. I'll take any advice I can get!

 

Hey, Razorback! I -think- my dad has a 123 at his place. Not completely sure, but it looks like one if i remember right. Congrats on the C-160 purchase! I'd wave as you go by, but I think you've mistaken me for being in Oklahoma! Haha! I'm actually in Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Thanks, Don! I'll be sure to keep checking back. I'll take any advice I can get!

 

Hey, Razorback! I -think- my dad has a 123 at his place. Not completely sure, but it looks like one if i remember right. Congrats on the C-160 purchase! I'd wave as you go by, but I think you've mistaken me for being in Oklahoma! Haha! I'm actually in Texas.

Sorry! I saw Daddy Don's reply, saw his OKC location and Air Force emblem..... somehow equated it with you.

 

Must be time for bed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Not a problem! There is a Weatherford, OK that is close to OKC and its not unusual for people to think I'm from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
8 hours ago, ZXT said:

I'd really like to have a mower deck for it at the very minimum, so that it's at least remotely useful. From what I understand, the deck and implements are unique to the GT-14.

:WRS:

Most mower deck would be able to be adapted to the GT-14 with the addition of a "Mule Drive" at the front of the tractor. The decks from 1966 to about 1972 would fit directly. This manual will show you what is involved. The chart below will show you what attachments will fit directly without modification.

 

  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 

Thanks, everyone! 

 

953 nut, thanks for those files. I'm sure they'll be invaluable. I'm thinking that changing to a newer style deck from say a C series tractor might be my best bet. There still aren't any parts even for those around me, but they were made for a longer period of time so hopefully they aren't as scarce.

 

Here are a few pictures of the ugly thing that I managed to grab today. It went from 83 degrees to high 30's and raining in a day, so it goes without saying that I'm not going to be doing any actual work on it for now. I'm missing the original deck mounting pieces and pulley drive parts. I also noticed that the passenger side rear axle is slid out of the case quite a bit.. I'm not sure how catastrophic that is, but it might be the reason the tractor was taken out of service. I'll have to do some research. It also appears to be a 1970 model.

 

Since this is a tech thread as much as it is an introductory thread, do I need to keep posting in here when asking questions or can I start another thread in the other section?

 

Thanks!

 

 

IMG_3443.JPG

IMG_3444.JPG

IMG_3445.JPG

IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

:WRS: ZXT and be herby advised we do like our :text-coolphotos: here!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, ZXT said:

Thanks, everyone! 

 

953 nut, thanks for those files. I'm sure they'll be invaluable. I'm thinking that changing to a newer style deck from say a C series tractor might be my best bet. There still aren't any parts even for those around me, but they were made for a longer period of time so hopefully they aren't as scarce.

 

Here are a few pictures of the ugly thing that I managed to grab today. It went from 83 degrees to high 30's and raining in a day, so it goes without saying that I'm not going to be doing any actual work on it for now. I'm missing the original deck mounting pieces and pulley drive parts. I also noticed that the passenger side rear axle is slid out of the case quite a bit.. I'm not sure how catastrophic that is, but it might be the reason the tractor was taken out of service. I'll have to do some research. It also appears to be a 1970 model.

 

Since this is a tech thread as much as it is an introductory thread, do I need to keep posting in here when asking questions or can I start another thread in the other section?

 

Thanks!

 

 

IMG_3443.JPG

IMG_3444.JPG

IMG_3445.JPG

IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG

:text-welcomeconfetti:Wish I had my grandfathers machine! 

 

So tell me, do you own the Model B or 18 Ford with the flathead V8 caps sitting next to your Wheel Horse? 

Look in the Other Brands section here for Cub related material. The Other Brands topic here is better than most entirely brand dedicated forums! 

 

This is the best litte tractor community there is in my opinion. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 minutes ago, Machineguy said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:Wish I had my grandfathers machine! 

 

So tell me, do you own the Model B or 18 Ford with the flathead V8 caps sitting next to your Wheel Horse? 

Look in the Other Brands section here for Cub related material. The Other Brands topic here is better than most entirely brand dedicated forums! 

 

This is the best litte tractor community there is in my opinion. 

That is my fathers; I believe it's a 30-31 A roadster, but I could be wrong. I'm fairly certain it isn't a B. He's a big model A guy, and so is my grandfather. 

I'll have to check out the other brands section. I haven't had a chance to do that yet. I completely agree, this community is great. The amount of help I've already received on here is amazing!

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 hours ago, Machineguy said:

need to keep posting in here when asking questions or can I start another thread in the other section

It would be best to start a thread in the section that Best defines the question.

That way others can search for that info later, easier.

 

Double check to see if the axle is moving from the transmission... Or hub is moving from the axle... Or both.

 

Repairable either way.

I tore into a wheelhorse transmission this year for the first time. Surprisingly easy and simple to work on.

 

@stevasaurus has some great videos and him and others have an amazing amount of knowledge to pass on about everything to do with the Horse.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

It would be best to start a thread in the section that Best defines the question.

That way others can search for that info later, easier.

 

Double check to see if the axle is moving from the transmission... Or hub is moving from the axle... Or both.

 

Repairable either way.

I tore into a wheelhorse transmission this year for the first time. Surprisingly easy and simple to work on.

 

@stevasaurus has some great videos and him and others have an amazing amount of knowledge to pass on about everything to do with the Horse.

 

 

Thanks! I'll start another thread whenever I need more info. 

 

I'm fairly certain that the axle is moving away from the transmission because of how far it's out. I read through a thread where a guy with a C-160 had the same problem and a C clip had come off allowing the axle to slide off. The tractor was mostly disassembled when I got it, so I assume someone was trying to remove the hub with a hammer instead of a puller, and the C clip couldn't handle it. Doesn't look like it'll be too big of a deal to fix. If nothing else, it's a good time to replace all of the seals. 

 

Thanks for the info!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
23 minutes ago, ZXT said:

assume someone was trying to remove the hub with a hammer

You're likely correct.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

:text-welcomeconfetti:  :rs:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Welcome to the nuthouse! Best place on the web.👍  You’ll love the gt14 when you get it going! Looks like a project but they are beasts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, 19richie66 said:

Looks like a project but they are beasts!

That's similar to what Trina was thinking when we met, about me.

:ROTF:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I wonder if your GT 14 has a newer motor? That long dipstick tube has me wondering :eusa-think:

 

:WRS:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Wouldn't surprise me, considering it is has a C160 trans. It also doesn't appear to have ever had the old style wheelhorse coil and flywheel pickup either, which i assume my tractor would've had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×