TimH

Kohler M12 Adjustments

TimH

Back Ground : Kohler M12 Adjustments ,  Removed gas tank Removed messed up filter screen, Flushed out tank, Replaced fuel lines and added inline fuel filter Replaced Carb and linkage from I Save tractors. Checked fuel pump is good. Runs better than it ever has.

Problem I am having is Horse doesn't seem to run at high enough RPM  Plus governor Slows engine down going down a slight incline Does better with mower deck  engaged . Is there a video or instructions out there that goes through adjustments ?

Thanks 

IMG_0306.jpg

TimH

I did find the Gov. spring was looking like it was to long when engine was shut off  FYI I checked to make sure throttle butterfly was full open with Gov was pulled as far to left

gov1.jpg

TimH

WOW

pfrederi

Did you do the initial governor adjustment (loosening the PAL nut etc) as outlined in the manual?  Also your spring is one hole up from #6.  Was that the way it has always been?  that should lead to more sensitivity  you could try one more hole up. Als0 have you checked the top end speed???

• Thanks 1

TimH

Thank you so much pfrederi  Man is nice . Working like new now. Looked like Gov. settings were reset by person I bought Horse from. Now on to see if needs head de carbon and Valve adjustment check

123GO

Ive never been sure if my M14 spring is on correct so I just left it alone? Not heard my governor kick in once since having but felt it should have a few times yesterday mowing thick grass as high as my hood. Never mowed that high before with it.

Never heard gov kick in even in high gear it mowed smooth & steady like it was just 6in of grass. Should it have kicked in on a 314-8 with a 42" deck in high gear? 

I see the governor end shown here and Kohler manual states 6th hole from top on it (mine is 6th) but I've never seen the other end of this spring's location anywhere?  Does it even matter?

Heres my throttle linkage, its a butterfly design with many holes to pick (1988 Model). Correct hole here?

Thanks folks

20200612_145209.jpg

Tuneup

So, your engine is hitting varied loads and maintains the RPM, so you've said. That sounds like an excellent adjustment - the governor is kicking in all the time. No worries.

WVHillbilly520H
On 6/12/2020 at 4:11 PM, 123GO said:

Ive never been sure if my M14 spring is on correct so I just left it alone? Not heard my governor kick in once since having but felt it should have a few times yesterday mowing thick grass as high as my hood. Never mowed that high before with it.

Never heard gov kick in even in high gear it mowed smooth & steady like it was just 6in of grass. Should it have kicked in on a 314-8 with a 42" deck in high gear? 

I see the governor end shown here and Kohler manual states 6th hole from top on it (mine is 6th) but I've never seen the other end of this spring's location anywhere?  Does it even matter?

Heres my throttle linkage, its a butterfly design with many holes to pick (1988 Model). Correct hole here?

Thanks folks

20200612_145209.jpg

Look at post pic above that's where the other end of the spring is located and supposed to be in the 6th hole from the top.. Side note an air compressor would do you some good blowing off all the grass from the engine when you're done mowing JMO.

123GO
2 hours ago, Tuneup said:

So, your engine is hitting varied loads and maintains the RPM, so you've said. That sounds like an excellent adjustment - the governor is kicking in all the time. No worries.

Oh ya' always maintained constant speed while mowing so it never concerned me but' with the tall grass in my neighbors field other day I expected gov to kick out (raising RPM) when I first hit it like my other mowers always do. It just reminded me about it's setting again when it didn't change. Been set like this since I bought it, mows great but' I just wonder where factory setting is since the Gov end was wrong (idk hole, too long ago) but' you know what I mean here? 

I've always kept the sensitivity on riders so Gov kicks only when it's actually needed under load like factory sets one to run. Saves gas btw..

My B100 (10hp K) always kicks on/off as needed like when rains interrupt mowing schedule. Mowing 6-8" tall grass, going up my big hills here the gov RPM raises, then lowers back down again when top of hill is reached so engine don't continue working any harder than ever needs to. My JD Kawasaki engine does the same. This 414-8 RPM never has changed once though?

I changed the spring position on my B100-8 (for dozer blade) one week to run at higher RPM all the time to help make my gravel driveway, worked out great. Figured I'd need my 414-8 for that but the B didn't struggle once. Its the only time its Gov wasn't set to factory though. High RPM all the time wears engine out sooner, mowing too low RPM (below throttle notch) is just as bad if not worse on an engine because a higher RPM is needed under load. Seen people run throttle lever on mowers in middle thinking it's easier on engine, its quite the opposite. Oil slingers especially..

If a gov's set too far off it can cause RPM surging aka- hunting but there is a sweet spot that is best for basic mowing so the engine runs a steady RPM (lever notch setting) but' allows Gov to raise as needed then back to normal. Not steady' mowing, you certainly will feel the change but It will add life to any engine vs running at higher RPM most all the time. I may search for that sweet spot on this unit, but' just like you it's been smooth and steady no matter what I mow so I've simply not bothered messing with it. I got used to it, it used to bother me a lil' can you tell?..lol   Thanks Tuneup

WVHillbilly520 

Go back and actually read what I wrote, DON'T just look at the pretty pictures.  I stated- Heres my "throttle" linkage.    

FYI- I took that picture on a short break before I finished mowing, in fact I hadn't even mowed my own yard then.

Regardless' I really doubt anyone on here blows grass off every time they step off to pee but' it seems some here think its a sin for those who don't dust/wax one up every time and quite honestly they should just grow up.

I keep all my Tractors/Trucks/cars clean enough for my taste (all that matters to me) even living on a gravel road but myself' I really don't care if anyone else on the entire planet "ever" cleans off their new or old machine once while owning it. Do you want to know why that is?  Its because it's not mine, its not yours, its their frick'n machine they paid for with their own money, so just get over it folks!  

To put it in easy form since some can't read, Learn what it means to actually "live and let live" so we can all be much better people! 

READ-

• Sad 1